VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
wideload
6 posters

New Headliner

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

New Headliner Empty New Headliner

Post by wideload Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Who know's off hand how many 4' x 8' sheets it takes to put a new headliner in a 2nd gen 90"?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

New Headliner Empty Re: New Headliner

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Since the van roof is like 56" wide, you need to work your way back with 4 foot sections of panelling,,,,,thats where the extra ribs are needed at each 4 foot interval to hold each piece up....
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:23 am

Glad I've got two parts trucks!!!!!!!

RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:32 am

OK, after reading Mike's question and thinking about the headliner I have leaned against the wall in the hallway, I went to bed and dreamed that I completed my interior! In my dream it looks awesome! Maybe I can at least get the liner in for Christmas...

I had a bunch of scrap fg sheeting that I glued pad and material to a year ago and haven't installed.

Good luck,
    Rip
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:01 am

Here is some my interior work,,,,,,

New Headliner Panel110

New Headliner Panel210

New Headliner Panel310
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I tried running two sheets the long way but found that i got a lot of buckling in the plywood...so I took 1x3" strips of wood and glued them to the ceiling between the ribs for support so the plywood would not warp. I cut the plywood so it would go inside the edges along the side(if that makes sense). I had to bow the plywood to put it in and then pop it up...I didn't even have to use screws once it popped into place. My ceiling isn't finished...I was planing on gluing fabric up but I really like the look of the wood so I think I'm just going to make some finishing strips for the seams once I finish the walls. Hope this gives you some ideas. It looks alot better in person than it does in the picture.
    New Headliner Roof10
    Hawkrod

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by Hawkrod Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm

wideload wrote:Who know's off hand how many 4' x 8' sheets it takes to put a new headliner in a 2nd gen 90"?

None. Use strips of 2" wide 1/4" luan along the ceiling ribs. Then add a 1" strip of 1/4" luan along one side of the 2" x 1/4" luan strip. Next add another strip of 1/8" luan to the back side of a piece of fabric large enough to go past the next rib, and down the side walls approx 3". Attach the fabric by way of stapling through the 1/8" and fabric along the side the 1" x 1/4" luan that has been previously attached to the 2" x 1/4", then bring it back to the next rib and staple along that 1" x 1/4" strip. Then repeat. Sounds complicated , but it's really easy! Makes a super clean headliner, looks like an old car. I will post step by step pics when I get a chance. PS it's fast too!

Hawk

Last edited by Hawkrod on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:38 am; edited 3 times in total
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:54 pm

My 67 has fabric fastened to thin paneling now. Whoever did it did a poor job and the fabric is saging in more than one place.

Mo and Hawk both of your ideas are really good.

Mo yours looks great even if it isn't finished. Looks like you ended up using the 4' width front to back in the van and cutting to length so it would bow as you described?

Hawk I'm looking forward to seeing your pic's. It sounds like it would really look good and definately a lot less weight.

I was looking at a plastic type material at Lowes one day last week. It came in 4' x 8' sheets, about 3/16" thick, and was solid white with a textured finish (looked like small bubbles all in the material). I've been considering it but wasn't sure how it would react when the summer heat got to it. I think if it was installed the way Mo did his you wouldn't have any problem with the heat. Only problem is that it's about $30 a sheet.

RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Mike, some of that is pvc and will not do well in the heat. What I have is identical but made of fiberglass. It is used for roofing in semi trailers and UPS trucks. I cut them to go full across and meet at each rib. Two of the seams will be hidden by overhead speaker consoles I bought years ago from jcw.

I agree on MO's liner, looking good!

Later, Rip
    Hawkrod

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

New Headliner Empty Easy headliner step by step

Post by Hawkrod Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 am

Hey Guys, I mocked up a headliner on my workbench with pictures. I'd like to down load the pics with step by step instructions, but I will need some help. I thought I came across a "How to" page, but can't find it now? Hawk

Last edited by Hawkrod on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am

Hey Mo, What was the measurement across the width of the van that you used so they would pop up like that?
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I took a 6" strip and cut it a few times and test fit it to see if it would pop up and then I used that piece as a template for every section and cut it either a little shorter or made it longer...it was easy except for right where the ribs meet the sides...had to take them down and do a little extra trimming so the panel would sit flush. I wanted the maximum headroom possible so that is why I did it this way. When I put the trim up it will cover these spots.
    New Headliner Edge11
    (Sorry for the blurry picture...I tried to blow it up with photoshop)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:59 pm