VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies

Poll

If you live in the Prairie provinces, why would you form a club? (Pick 2)

[ 1 ]
    Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_lcap100%Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_lcap0%Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_lcap0%Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 1
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies

Post by sasktrini Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Hey folks. I've created a poll here, going along with research I'm doing on a few other forums. There has been interest in trying to hold an Alberta camp-out in August 09. I want to make it happen. I believe that it would be easier to pull off if we were more organized, so I intend to create a Van Club to better support our region.

The purpose of the poll question is to identify what two or three core values are for attracting a membership in our area. I will combine the results from here and the other forums, and prepare club guidelines based on that. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like your suggestions to remain confidential, for example if there are activities you do not condone. All opinions will be considered, and the club will launch with the most popular values emphasized.

Personally, I wish I had some vanner friends locally that I could turn wrenches with... I enjoy traveling to hang out with other vanners... I'd like to see custom vans in our car shows on the prairies... I'd like my vans to wear a sticker to show the public that I am part of something proud and not alone in my love for vans.

If you have a club, would you be willing to share your bylaws with me, to use in preparation of a constitution for this new club?

I welcome your feedback. I'm interested in name / logo concepts, so please offer your suggestions. I'd like to have some info to look at by Christmas, and create the club in January 09... have a small handful of people to put their energy together to create a great environment for a gathering in August. Tell me what you want the most through the poll. It will form the basis of a new Prairie-based Van Club!

Thanks,

Corey Morgan
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty Re: Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies

Post by wacko Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I would be interested in a camp-out in Alberta this summer if I can get my van on the road by then. As far as a name how about something simple like Vintage-Van North West Chapter?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty Re: Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies

Post by G-Man Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:55 pm

I think your idea is great about starting a club. It would be nice to see something organized up there. For those of us who couldn't join we would get to see the pictures. You might be surprized how many are really around you after you get this going.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:49 am

becoming a chapter of an existing club is an idea...
    wacko wrote:I would be interested in a camp-out in Alberta this summer if I can get my van on the road by then. As far as a name how about something simple like Vintage-Van North West Chapter?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:45 am

Christmas is almost here, along with a couple four-day weekends with which to think about all the ideas behind forming a club. I have to admit i'm getting very little feedback, though I know there are few of us on here in this region... I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks,
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm

sasktrini, Something like this will start out small and grow from there. I forget the movie, but if you built it they will come.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:04 pm

"Field of Dreams"... thanx G-Man... It seems that's how it will be. There are 3 or so guys I know are behind the idea 100%, but we are all spread out by many miles. I'm hoping that the "wait and see" crowd will let me know what they hope the club will become...

G-Man wrote:sasktrini, Something like this will start out small and grow from there. I forget the movie, but if you built it they will come.

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty What's in a name?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Hey sasktrini,

I've got a suggestion for your club name "PRAIRIE SCHOONERS", the original name for the westward wagons across the Canadian flatlands looking to find the Westcoast.

Getting into a great club is really how well you can get along together, be patient this will happen, just remember to make sure everyone has fun!!! Good Luck!!!

Post by Guest Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 pm

Mentioning movies, there was this baseball team from Calgary called the "LORDS OF FLATBUSH" from the movie of the same name, if your interested. Our old club name was "THE NORTHERN LIGHTS VAN ASSOCIATION!" (no longer), you're more than welcome to that if you like. There was a club in Edmonton called "HEARTBREAKER VANS" also now defunct!.....just an idea.

Cheers affraid
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 am

haakowii... great stuff! Thanx! I know Calgary well (old stomping grounds), never heard of the team... is it a beer league team? I remember the rugby club near the airport had some crazy name too, but I can't remember. I had no idea you were from here (I thought Hawaii or Finland... fooled by your username!)... Yeah, I like the wagon train concept...

Oh, and I just (about 10 minutes) understood the "Flatbush / Saskatchewan" link! Very clever! Cheers and thanx!

Corey

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty ......It's a bit of a blurry but I do remember........vaguely

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:18 pm

We were also associate members of several other van clubs, the smallest club ever was the North Star Vans, six 1970's Chevy Vans full on custom from head-to-toe, these guys were really tight bunch & never missed an eVANt on the Westcoast, totally dedicated hardcore vanners (the envy of the 2%ers) & are really serious party VANimals. These guys were gone every weekend........dash plaques from everywhere, some-kinda-major-truckin'.Being in this club you'll never starve or die from thirst & they were always happy to see you, really, really hospitable. When the sun went down on Saturday Nights, it was CORNDOG NITE, they'd boil up a mess of Ballpark Dogs (sadly haven't had better since) steamed buns/grain mustard /pickles/sauerkraut/fried onions & peppers. Then out came the 5lbs of butter to be melted and 20lbs of gourmet popcorn OMG everyone was at their camp every nite rocking out & putting on a feedbag. They always had two kegs on-the-go and a blender full of headaches for the next AM.The North Star Vans Camp would have put Martha Stewart back in jail. They were only six life members & everyone else (40 strong) was an associate member, non voting (me included!) ....The North Star battlecry was "Let those goodtimes roll!!!!" Although they're gone.......the memories live on!!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 am

That is so cool! Thanx! We have to meet over a campfire and a stack of cold ones outside our vans some day! Merry Christmas!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:47 pm

It's New Years Eve day, and I have an update on the club plans...

I thought about the potential of "Prairie Schooners" for a logo with a van done up like a covered wagon from the old west... great concept! But there is another image that has come to mind... one that I believe would be embraced by all potential members. As well, the feedback I've received so far shows a pretty even split between the interest in wrenching, camping, travelling and showing with our vans. I am strongly leaning towards the simple club name "Prairie Vanners", as it appears that the name should not limit the intended activities that the club would promote.

I have decided on a logo concept that represents the prairie region without bias or prejudice to any potential members... I'm having a logo designed to characterize an A-100 van as a bison / buffalo in the style of the characters in the movie Cars! The club name would appear in a retro font above, with the member location (maybe city, maybe province or state) patched below similar to the style of bike clubs' chapter designations. The logo will initially be used online and for bumper / window stickers.

When I get the proofs back, I'll be sure to share it with you. As promised, a van club in our region is more than just a dream today... it will come!

Thanks,

Corey

Want to form a Van Club on the Canadian Prairies Empty A Brand New Day

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Hey sasktrini,

Thought I'd drop you a line to ask "HOW'S THE CLUB COMING ALONG? EH!" Cheers Cool
    Is it call "PRAIRIE SCHNOONER VANS"????
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Going to go with Prairie Vanners... generic...

I think the parallel between a van and covered wagon is perfect, and there are many who are appreciative of the role covered wagons played in "winning the west". I think out First Nations people might have different feelings about it though... for the same reason many don't celebrate Thanksgiving. For me, being a visible minority, want to stay with a concept that offends none.

My graphic artist buddy must still be hibernating... haven't gotten anything from him yet...

I will be trying to contact the campground just outside the Waterton boundary... the site where last year's gathering was booked. First weekend in August.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 am