VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

My weekend Econoline adventure.

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

My weekend Econoline adventure. Empty My weekend Econoline adventure.

Post by Rayallen Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 am

This weekend I took the 64 out for its 1st true cruise. Up until this weekend the farthest ive drove it was maybe 10 miles round trip. On Sunday we drove from my house to Downtown San Antonio to a Bike Swap, then we went to a local diner and finished the day off with a Antique/oddities store. Got waved at, thumbs ups, smiles and several odd looks. Like- what the heck is he driving. All in all the round trip turned out to be around 70 miles and the van performed well for the most part. Mostly highway speeds at 55-60mph.

Didnt run into any problems until we were heading home. I am loosing oil pressure the longer I drive. At cold start/Idle it sits at 40psi, but hot on the way back home around 30psi and the motor was getting a little hot. My oil pressure gauge is accurate, I choose to go with a mechanical gauge for its accuracy. Im pretty sure its a worn tired motor behind the oil pressure, possible the oil pump. Going to try a heavier weight of oil untill I can rebuild the 200.

As far as the van getting hot, After getting home I parked the van in the garage and we all went inside. I went out about 10min later and noticed condensation build up on the window, but needed to move the van over a smudge to get our days treasures out. The alternator sqeaked like it was wet. Got out and I had radiator fluid all over the garage floor under than van. The upper radiator hose busted! It had apparently had a small hole in it I had not noticed before but our voyage built up a enough pressure to make it burst. Oh well, I am replacing the radiator and hoses anyways. hope the alternator didnt get to much fluid in it and is in working order.

All in all, We had nice weather, a heck of a cruise, came home with some cool vintage bikes. It was a blast. The van got us there and back. Performed a 7 out of a 10. Very Happy

I should have take some pictures, just though about it. DOH!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

My weekend Econoline adventure. Empty Re: My weekend Econoline adventure.

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 am

Hi Ray=likely thats all it was-radiator hose. Didnt notice the temps climbing? that alone will heat engine & lower oil pressure.get all the hoses changed & do check oil for contamanation(water/color) Hopefully thats all ok & just need hoses. Get it on more drives.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 am

Yep, going to get new hoses today. Its still the original rad which is in ok shape to say the least so it doesnt cool the best to begin with. I didnt notice the temps climbing until we were almost home sitting at a light. It was a nice cool weekend here in San Antonio which is one of the reasons we took out the 64. great weekend!
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Post by Jazontyler Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think your oil pressure was just a symptom of your overheating. The van looks sharp in in your profile pic. Do you have more pictures to share, or have they already been posted in an older thread? Has it been lowered some?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:16 am