VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

O/T - Check Engine Light

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

O/T - Check Engine Light Empty O/T - Check Engine Light

Post by itruns Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 am

I remember the first time I saw one of these things. A total WTF! moment. Definitely think it's time for a change.

http://jalopnik.com/5875751/why-the-check-engine-light-must-be-banned
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

O/T - Check Engine Light Empty Re: O/T - Check Engine Light

Post by white-lightning Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm

I agree that the auto manufactures should have the codes be able to be displayed on the nav screens and such. On the other hand some people still would not have a clue what to do with that information. For people that work on there own vehicles that do have an understanding of how an efi setup and the emission systems work it would be beneficial.

From my job in part sells I have learned to be careful when I check the cels. When I tell someone one of their car's codes is for a evap leak a inform them that a gas may be at fault, but there are other causes. I have had people throw a fit after replacing the cap and it reappears and this was after they were informed that it may or may not be at fault. People want the computer to tell them what to replace instead of doing a little diagnosing first.
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Chrylser made the engine codes available through the odometer years ago. easy enough to access, turn the key on/off/on/off/on and it displays the codes. a google search for the code, not only tells you what the code is but will lead you to many sites dealing with possible fixes for it.

I realize not every driver is going to buy a scanner and google each code their car throws but I have taught several non-mechanical types to use a scanner and have the information read before they go see their mechanic.

I also believe most people who would not do the above precedure would not act when they receive the info a code means through an in dash display. they will still just take it to the shop and complain about the cost.

$.02

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:08 pm