VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
jrinaman
Digz
donivan65
cculella
8 posters

1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Empty 1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips

Post by cculella Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

Before I go haphazardly removing screws and wires, I thought I would get the tips from the pros. I am going to be doing some dash work and repainting and need to get the cluster out of the way. While I have it out, I thought it would be nice to take it apart and clean it up, maybe even paint the needles. Any thoughts?

- Charlie
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Empty Re: 1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

The 1st thing is getting the dash out,,,,,,those upper clips sometimes bend up behind the dash instead of folding down,,,,,,and when they grab, they don't let you pull the dash assembly out,,,,,,,,

1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Repai190

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Empty Re: 1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips

Post by Digz Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

It's not to hard to take apart once you get it out. here's a small thread to help that part. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t10009-removing-switches-from-dash-panel?highlight=dash+cluster
    I'm thinking Wacko and Savage have done some resto work to thiers and it turned out great. Thier are some tips for polishing the scratches out of the cover someplace also by WDApair. I have color matched the dash on mine but just cleaned up the rest. Just take pics as you go to help you out on reassembly, it took me a few tries to get all the small lamps back in the right places. it's a small thing to do really and the results look great.
    cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Post by cculella Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Perfect, thanks guys. This is going to help immensely.

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm

other than the clips donavan posted about, its pretty simple and self explanitary. once out,there is a handful of small screws holding it all together.i recently did mine. i cleaned up the speedo and gauges, you could re paint and get decals from hobby store if in poor shape. painted needles florecent orange, painted the panel behind glass, i went gloss black with several coats of clear but you can paint to match body or whatever you want. i sanded and painted the outer peice silver and again laid on lots of clear and a sanded the clear plastic starting with 400 grit and going to 1500 grit and followed by HAND BUFFING with coumpound. dont use an electric buffer, ask me how i know! when i was finished, i came home and that same day found a chrome surround and ordered it. corvair dash parts are the same and plentiful/cheap. so...... look on ebay for parts BEFORE dissassembly and no electric buffer!
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 am

the clips at the top are a bit of a pain go slow and don't force it or they will beak off...it is well worth it to get the dash cluster out and rework it
    before
    1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Img_0213
    after
    1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Img_0214
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

That looks great! Where can I get the chrome bezel that goes around the gauge cluster???
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ihttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140679942885&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123tem=140679942885&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123 these both just ended, but am sure he will relist. if not, they come up on ebay every month or so and usually for half his price.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:37 pm

sweet thanks. I'm bidding on the relist so please nobody bid against me
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm

That looks real nice, good job.

Hey KK, They are all cast aluminum, You can polish yours.

M1D
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

hmmm, that's a good idea!
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:45 pm

m1dadio wrote:That looks real nice, good job.

Hey KK, They are all cast aluminum, You can polish yours.

M1D
    I have never found an aluminum one yet, all diecast (potmetal) like the glovebox door.
    1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips Vardash2
    1st Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and Disassembly Tips 66dash
    yes they can be polished up
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 pm

not by me! i spent several hours sanding and polishing before giving up and digging out the spray gun.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:50 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:54 pm