VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals?

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? Empty No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals?

Post by wideload Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Help Don or anybody!!!!!!!Was getting the 67 ready for tomorrow's trip to St.Louis and found that I didn't have any tail lights or brake lights. However I do have turn signals (front and rear)and parking lights in front. I unpluged the plug under the dash where the wiring harness heads to the rear of the van. Checked all the wires leading to the rear and all checked good. On the other end of the plug that leads to the light switch,brake light switch and turn signal switch there's no power on the brown wire(tail lights)with the headlights on and no power on the (yellow and dark green)brake lights when the brake pedal is depressed but like I said the turn signals work fine. Anyone have any ideas?

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? Empty Re: No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals?

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:39 pm

Mike,
    I would check to make sure you have power going to your headlight switch. If you don't then check to see if you have power coming from your ignition switch. Your lights and brakes work independently so most likely you have two issues. I would recheck all the fuses, bulbs and you brake light switch. Did you work on anything under the dash or electrical lately?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? Empty Re: No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals?

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Maybe this will help....

[img]No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? 1967-w10[/img]
    [img]No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? 1967-w12[/img]

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Lets get back to the scene of the crime,,,,,did you use the wiring connector to the trailer?????
    It could of shorted out,,,,,,Do you have power to both sides of the tail light fuse? If you got turn signals, then you got good brake light bulbs and wiring. So check for power on the wires at the brake light switch. Also click the hazard light switch if you got one and see if things get better. Do you have power at the turn signal fuse???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Hook a jumper from the downstream side of the heater fuse to the dead fuses, and maybe you can get something to work temporarily to get you down the road
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Not going anywhere, its in the warm garage.

This is what I've done so far.
    I unpluged the harness that leaves under the dash and heads to the back of the van. I used my 12v power supply to power up the brake/turn signals and the tail lights and everything worked. That elminated the wires from the dash back.
    Next I checked for power on the side of the plug that feeds the back of the van. No power on the brown wire(tail lights) and no power on the yellow/darkgreen (brake lights) when the brake pedal was depressed.
    Next I checked for power on the yellow/dark green (turn signals) with the signals on and had power on both.
    All the fuses checked good.

Thanks Dan but I've already got a wiring diagram. It's helping but its kind of small and hard to read. But it is in color so that helps.
    I've got power to the headlight switch because everything else works(headlights,dash light and parking lights).

Don the brown wire looks good under the dash when it leaves the plug and heads to the rear but at the back of the truck it's been hot enough to melt the insulation but it doesn't appear to be recent. The wire is still in tact and must not be grounding anywhere because it didn't trip the power supply when I used it to check the lights.I'm going to replace that for sure but I don't think that's the problem right now. The trailer plug was the first thing I thought of but that doesn't appear to be the problem either. It's something up front because there's no power leaving the plug going to the rear. I checked that with my meter on the feed side of the plug and there was nothing for the tail lights or the brake lights.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Don have you got a good pic of the front of the fuse box. All the labeling is gone off of mine. I checked all the fuses but I haven't checked the fuse connectors. That and the brake light switch will be next.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Dan here's a link to the wiring diagram that I have. It's for a 2nd gen.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/cgiustov//wd4web_001.htm

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:58 pm

OK, Thanks. Here's the box for you....
    [img]No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? 6770fu10[/img]

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Well you got the plan,,,,,see if you are getting power from the brake light switch at the WHITE wire on the turn signal switch connector,,,,it should also power up the green and yellow brake light wires. Do this test with the Hazard light switch button in and out. Both the Hazard and Turn Signal switch are the boss,,,,they determine if and what rear brake lights come on,,,,the brake light switch just lets them know that you are stepping on the pedal. And the Brown wire on the back of the Headlight switch goes to the tail lights,,,the 2 Purples go to the front parking lights, so see if you got power there. And since you need to hit the road tomorrow,,,,,the van will have to stay home until you get back,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,to be continued,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks Don and Dan!!!!!! I'll let you know what happens Monday

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 am

Mike ,you have any luck fixing your taillights??/ How was your trip to St Louis.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Tom the trip to St.Louis went fine. Meeting someone else from VCVC was cool as usual. Got lots of good parts and some not so good. Haven't had time to go through it yet, just unloaded it in the garage.
    Haven't had time to work on the lights anymore yet. I know I fried a wire in the back of the van just before it gets to the left tail light. Going to have to wait a while to get back at it, to much else going on right now.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Got to do a little tonight. Pulled the headlight switch. No power leaving the switch on the brown wire. Going to check the brake light switch tomorrow.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Hey Mike,
    Glad to hear you made it back. Quick question. Do you have a color wiring diagram for a 1st Gen? That one for the 2nd Gen is pretty cool and see how it would make life easier while working.. Let me know.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:46 am

Sorry Dan but I don't. I think that Viewmaster was the one responsible for the color one that I have. He posted it on VCVC a while back. Might send him a PM and see if he has one or could make one. He's real good with puter stuff. I'd like to have one too!!!!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:11 am

Will do. Thanks Mike...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Well I changed the headlight switch today and now I have power on the brown wire leaving the switch. Also had power on the yellow wire leaving the switch when the brakes were applied.
    I also removed paneling and insulation from the left rear forward until I found the plugs that seperate the left and right lights for the rear of the van. The dark brown wire that had the insulation melted ran from that plug to the left rear light. That's the only area that I've found so far that had any damage. After I get the bad wire replaced then I'll hook the plug back up under the dash where the wires go to the back of the van and hope for the best. Right now it appears that the headlight switch was the problem but not sure it the bad switch caused the wire to heat up and melt or if the wire melting is what got the switch. Could have been either one.
    At least I'm getting closer!!!!!!!!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Mike,
    Glad to here your finding the problem. And that's a big no-go on the 1st Gen color wiring diagram from Veiwmaster. He only had the 2nd Gen. Guess I have a rainy day computer project too... @

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:31 pm

I had to call in the experts but I finally got it fixed!!!!!!

No tail light or brake lights-do have turn signals? 100_2635

Still haven't figured out why or what caused the brake lights to quit working but their working now. All I ended up doing was replacing the headlight switch and the wire where the insulation melted.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:51 pm

I can see right there who caused the problem,,,,just because you can't see them don't mean they ain't there,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Oh No, they invaded your 67 too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:46 am