VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Jazontyler
Rayallen
6 posters

Alternator brackets?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Alternator brackets? Empty Alternator brackets?

Post by Rayallen Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Today I decided to tackle my starter, starter solenoid and alternator.

Starter solenoid and starter were changed without skipping a beat, easy.

Alternator another story. I removed the gen and obviously there is a size difference between the gen and alt. I was able to bolt on with the stock brackets but the alternators pulley does not line up with the other pulleys. Off by 1/2-1".

I either need to fab up some brackets or buy some pre-made. Which brackets did you use when making your swap from gen to alt?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Alternator brackets? Empty Re: Alternator brackets?

Post by Rayallen Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 pm

After messing with it for a while i figured it out. Able to use the stock brackets with a little tweaking.
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Post by Jazontyler Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Ray,
    What tweaks were required to get your bracket to work? With the alternator in place, do you just completely remove the regulator too?
    JT
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Post by Jazontyler Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 am

What model alternator did you end up using? Is it internally regulated, or did you still need an external voltage regulator? If so, we're you able to reuse your original unit?
    Thanks
    bugman
    bugman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

Post by bugman Sun May 20, 2012 7:19 am

With the help of this board, we installed an internally regulated single wire Chevy 63A output alternator. We spaced the original top bracket out ~3/16" and redrilled the bottom bracket to hold it. We then stripped out the regulator and associated wires and ran a single #10 wire the the battery side of the solenoid. We went to NAPA and got a belt to fit it and that's all it took. Charging at 14.5A to the battery.
    AthensTxMc
    AthensTxMc

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by AthensTxMc Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Does anyone have the measurement for the second set of holes on the bottom bracket to mount the alternator? It looks like you can just move the bracket forward but If someone can get me real close I'd rather not have to go through trying to re-invent everything ... Appreciate any input (=
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 pm

AthensTxMc wrote:Does anyone have the measurement for the second set of holes on the bottom bracket to mount the alternator? It looks like you can just move the bracket forward but If someone can get me real close I'd rather not have to go through trying to re-invent everything ... Appreciate any input (=
    If you have the 64 and older generator equipped engine (14/170) and are installing an alternator you can buy a bracket for that conversion from one of the Falcon parts dealers. http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1960-1964-ALTERNATOR-BRACKETS-FOR-6-CYL-ENGINES-24p157.htm
    You can also make a flat adapter that has the same mounting holes as the generator bracket, longer towards the front. The adapter bracket will have three holes in it, two lineup with the original generator bracket holes and another one forward of them. Line up the rear hole from the alt bracket (65 up 170/200) with the front hole of the gen bracket. Drill the third hole in the adapter bracket where the front alternator bracket hole is. The rear bolt goes through the rear hole of the adapter directly into original rear mounting hole in the block. The center bolt goes through rear bolt hole of the alt bracket and the center hole of the adapter bracket into the original front mounting hole in the block. The front bolt goes through just the front holes of both brackets. this will allow you to use a stock Ford alternator. You can swap to a GM internal regulator alt with some minor modifications.
    AthensTxMc
    AthensTxMc

Post by AthensTxMc Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

I was trying to use the stock lower bracket and drill another set of holes. There appears to be enough clearance to use a 10SI GM alternator if I were to do that but it might require an allen bolt for the rear on the mount. I didn't want to get into fabricating another bracket. I do that to mount alternators on early Honda Goldwing motorcycles to do away with the stator. I was hoping someone might have a general measurement and by this thread it appears that it has been done. If nothing else I can get a flat bar and build one but there is one that looks like it will work there already. I appreciate the link. We used to fabricate brackets for all manner of conversions, mostly tractors. Another set of hands would make it easier if I have to measure everything and the wife isn't always in the mood to lend a hand without some coaxing (=
    AthensTxMc
    AthensTxMc

Post by AthensTxMc Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:17 pm

I am going to look in the morning but a mini ND or Mitsubishi alternator might work without modding the bracket. If I find one in the shed and It works out, I will post pictures.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

AthensTxMc wrote:I am going to look in the morning but a mini ND or Mitsubishi alternator might work without modding the bracket. If I find one in the shed and It works out, I will post pictures.
    What year is your engine? If you already have an alternator bracket the GM alt will bolt on without too much modification. The housing is smaller at the lower mounting bolt but a 1" spacer takes care of that. Aklso the GM hole is 3/8" and the Ford is 7/16", I just pressed a spacer in the holes to reduce the diameter. The corners of the lower and upper brackets need to be rounded to clear the fan.
    Alternator brackets? Gm_alt10
    Alternator brackets? Gm_alt11
    Alternator brackets? Gm_alt12
    Alternator brackets? Gm_alt13
    Alternator brackets? 6_cyli10
    Fred

Last edited by fmc56 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bugman
    bugman

Post by bugman Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:32 pm

This is exactly how we did it, works just fine. We didn't take dimensions for the re-drill of the original bracket though, sorry.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 pm

bugman wrote:This is exactly how we did it, works just fine. We didn't take dimensions for the re-drill of the original bracket though, sorry.
    Where in CT are you?
    Fred
    bugman
    bugman

Post by bugman Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm

The Big City, Meriden.
    AthensTxMc
    AthensTxMc

Post by AthensTxMc Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:33 pm

I have a 1962 and finally have the alternator mounted. I should have used the mini ND but didn't have a spare v-belt pulley for it. Would have left a lot more room. I used the original generator bracket and moved it forward 1 1/8" or so. The rest is a little bit more difficult to explain so after I get a belt and wire it in I will post pictures. I used a GM alternator, but not the one wire. I can always open it up and rebuild it as a one wire if I feel the need.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:53 am

bugman wrote:The Big City, Meriden.
    I have a friend there with a scrap metal business.
    Fred
    Economan64
    Economan64

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

Post by Economan64 Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey Yall, Im driving my 64 Econoline with a generator and the old school oil bath air filter. Your wisdom is great to listen too as I do want to do this work soon. Right now Im trying to absorb as much as possible so I can get her on the road and keep her on the road another 50 years. I guess that means my 68 year old son will be driving her in 2064 hopefully meeting up with your kids !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:56 am