VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
wacko
oo3
donivan65
thecruger
8 posters

Charging problem

thecruger
    thecruger

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Charging problem Empty Charging problem

Post by thecruger Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 pm

I am having a charging problem.. the guy i got it from said it was not charging..
    it has a new alternator and a new voltage regulator..
    the one down side of getting a old van.. someone always messes up the wiring..
    i don't have a shop manual yet.. found some wiring diagrams on-line but not much help.. Shocked

i have of course the main hot wire to the alt.. then there are 2 wires with the flat connectors for pos and neg feild.. not sure witch one goes where ..then there is a 4th wire thats just sitting there with no end...
    dont know if it even goes to the alt.. Question

if someone has a pic. or could take a pic of there alt wiring that would be great..
    but has to be new style they used in 70 with the triangle shaped plug on the voltage regulator..

or i could just put a GM alt on it and be done with it.. Twisted Evil

Charging problem Alt-1
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12234
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Charging problem Empty Re: Charging problem

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Ok, Check to see that you have voltage at the big output terminal AND one of the field terminals. So unplug the both wires off the fields, turn on the ignition, and see if you get voltage at one of the unplugged wires with a test light or voltmeter. Also unplug the voltage regulator and see if one of those wires also has voltage. Make sure you got the right alternator on there, you need an insulated field one. The test is to hook a test light to the big battery wire on the alternator, remove the field wires, then touch the tip to each field terminal on the back of the alternator,,,,,you don't want it to light. The way the system works is battery voltage goes to the regulator and 1 field wire,,,,does not matter which one. Then,,,,,the regulator sends a negative signal to the other field wire to regulate the output of the alternator. So to test the alternator, make sure there is voltage to the output wire and one of the fields, then unplug the other field wire and ground it,,,,,,alternator should put out over 15 volts if it is good.

Charging problem Dodge_28

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:58 am

That "4th wire" is probably brown or black....it's a ground. The main black (10g) wire comes off the alternator to the ammeter in the dash. Then from the ammeter is a red (10g) wire to the main lug on the starter relay (which also has the main + wire from the battery connected to it). It would be a good idea to add a fusible link in the wire from the ammeter to the starter relay.

The field wires are going to be green (or maybe yellow??) and red (or blue). These wires of course run to the VR under the dash. The red (or blue) wire is also spliced into the keyed ignition feed to the ballast resistor I believe. I don't have a schematic right in front of me.

More than likely you have a bad wire somewhere. I have 6 or 7 of these vans over the years and I generally run all new wiring through the engine compartment since usually all the original wires are baked.
    thecruger
    thecruger

Post by thecruger Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:50 pm

have not had a chance to look at it yet..but thank you for the info..
    hope to look at it Sat after work..

how hard would it be to yank the wiring harness (just in the dog house)
    and redo it ? Shocked

here is a photo of the alt.. and 39 years of crud i need to clean up and replace gaskets.. i assume its the original motor..no way of knowing ...

and i don't know what is up with the wire fastened to the front of the alt.. Shocked

Charging problem 33
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Thats probably a leftover from the mechanical regulator,,,,it probably was used to make that Electronic Voltage regulator type Alternator work with a mechanical voltage regulator. Basically the original mechanical regulator type alternator is a 1 wire field which is a Positive wire. The other field terminal , the Negative, is grounded to the case. But the Electronic voltage regulator is a 2 wire field system,,,,,you always got Positive to 1 field wire, and the voltage regulator sends the negative to the other terminal. But, if I got to get technical for a second, the rotors in the 2 types of alternators had different windings and resistance so if you mismatched the alternators to the type of voltage regulators, they wouldn't put out what they should.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 pm

you can easily have 2 or more problems to deal with - first 40 year old mopar wiring - clean all connections - that ammeter wiring connection is a known problem - 2nd previous owner mods - changing to a 70 and later alt and voltage reg if not done correctly could provide problems - while both alt are dual field the pre 70 have a internal ground on one of the alt fields - if you have the triangular plug on the voltage reg it sounds like that is the correct one for a 70 and later - you can get electronic vr types for pre 70 but it has the same type connection as the mechanical - follow donivan and nate info - redoing the wiring in the doghouse is a great idea - but do your home work first - while you are at it do you want to wire for electronic ignition? hei prehaps? - http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779
    while this is for a 6 same applies for 8 - http://www.mymopar.com/charging.htm dont know if a factory manual will help - i bought a manual on cd and there is no wiring diagram - unless i have overlooked it and i hope someone can tell me where it is!! - as one of the reasons i bought it was i thought i would have a readable wiriing diagram - and you are dealing with post 70s alt wiring - oo3

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:52 am

1970 came with the solid state VR and dual-field regulator...only year the A-vans had this. Unfortunately Dodge never put out a service manual specifically for the 70 model year. I do have a 71 B-series diagram that shows the colors and I would imagine 70 would be the same

That wire going to the front of the alt. is definitely an add-on..throw it away. I see two brown and two red wires in that pic??? Somebody has been in there messing around that's for sure.
    thecruger
    thecruger

Post by thecruger Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:15 pm

good news.. cleaned up the wiring a bit.. traced wire from voltage regulator to alternator.. found wire..was not even hooked up .. put a new end connector on it hooked it up .. started her up and presto charge-O cheers ...

thanks for the help guys...
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Great to hear problem solved

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:47 am

Most of the time with these old vans, it's not a part failure but a wiring problem. At least that's what I'ave encountered mostly.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:59 am

I'm glad to hear it! I wish I was having better luck with mine... I pulled the entire harness, replaced any cooked wiring,, salvage yard starter, alt and VR (electronic), and still no luck... Feeling like I should just buy a new matched VR and Alt...
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7902
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:30 am

Glad to hear it was just something simple. Like Nate said, the wiring on these old vans are most of the proplems are. So a good wiring diagram is a must.....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Charging problem Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 am

sasktrini wrote:I'm glad to hear it! I wish I was having better luck with mine... I pulled the entire harness, replaced any cooked wiring,, salvage yard starter, alt and VR (electronic), and still no luck... Feeling like I should just buy a new matched VR and Alt...

It's easy to figure it out Corey, just take your time, use the right tools and we'll get you going.

Did you get it to crank or start yet?

Do you have a voltage test light and a continuity test light? Those help A LOT. Does the alternator have 2 or 3 terminals? You need the 3 terminal one for the electronic VR.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 am

FYI - Sometimes just wiggling the spade clips on the terminals will get things going again. 40 some years may have caused a just enough corrision to mess with your day.

At least with the Dodges, if you have good fuses, but no voltage to the device, pull the guage cluster back a bit and check the connections on back of the fuse block. That's where that pin pointed tester comes in handy.

Also, these vans are simple. No computers, sensors, complex vacuum lines or electrical circuits to diagnose with logic trees. Sometimes you can have 2 items that failed, so try not to get discouraged.

I like to look at electrical as the plumbing in your house. There is a water supply (positive), faucet (switch), sink (device) and a sewer (negative) which is also every metal part of the van. The electricity needs a uninterrupted loop to flow from one terminal of the battery to the other. You may have plugged pipes (corroded connections and wires), bad faucets, insuffient water supplies, bad sewers, etc.

If you short circuit that loop and ground out, you have the equivalent to a flooded house - a very bad thing.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

I pulled a dual-field alt and electronic VR from the same donor van... Old one had BAT-FLD-GRD, this one has BAT-FLD-FLD.
    I did figure out that disconnecting the BATT connection on the ALT removed the key-off drain. Not sure the diff between voltage and continuity test lights... but I confirmed that there was no current by running my test light between the negative battery cable and negative battery post... It lights when ALT BATT wire is connected.

May just go for a new alt.

I may never think of electrical the same! Maybe more scared of plumbing! Laughing
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 pm

If that test light lights up when you remove the output wire from the alternator and hook the light up between the wire and the alternator terminal, then you got a bad diode.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:07 pm

I knew I could do that check at the negative battery post... never thought about doing it at the wire I disconnected... duh! Thanx Donivan!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:30 pm

That 12 volt test light is a valuable tool. And if you put it in series with any wire, positive or negative, it will light if any current is flowing in that wire. It could be a milliamp or a 1000 amps. So if your battery goes dead, that is the 1st test to run,,,,to see if something is draining the battery. And say if you rewire something,,,,before you hook up the battery to test it, put the test light on a battery cable and touch it to its post,,,,you don't want that light to glow. If it lights up, something is on or wrong. If you got a short to ground, hooking up that battery cable will cook the wires and maybe catch fire. So that little test light is like a smoke alarm,,,if it lights up,,,you better figure out why before you put the battery cable back on. And its a check valve also, If the shorted wire wants 100 amps from the battery, too bad,,,,the test light only wants like a half amp and once it gets it, it don't let anymore get past it to melt wires or blow fuses or fusible links.
    terencejiminy
    terencejiminy

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Charging problem Empty Electronic VS Mechanical (Solenoid and contact) Regulators

Post by terencejiminy Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 am

thecruger wrote:good news.. cleaned up the wiring a bit.. traced wire from voltage regulator to alternator.. found wire..was not even hooked up .. put a new end connector on it hooked it up .. started her up and presto charge-O cheers ...
    thanks for the help guys...

Upgrading to the electronic/newer factury flat regulator is fairly simple, and a good idea, if you hate those going bright and dim headlights at night. gets rid of the pulsing amp gauge pointer too. Idea
    Just remember that the box/mechanical reg. sent positive power to one of the brushes (doesn't matter which one with the 3 wire alternater) and the other brush is always ground.
    On the 2 wire Alt., one brush is already (or suposed to be) grounded to its case.
    Later A-100's (with 3 wire Alt.) had a ground wire (light blue?) that traveled all the way through the harness to one mounting bolt of the Points/old type regulator under the dash.
    The electronic factory flat regulator sends a ground signal to one brush (3 wire alt again) and the 2nd brush gets ignition (not Battery) fed to it from the ign switch side of the ballast resister.
    The 2 wires into the flat reg are an ignition source in (just like the old mechanical reg) and the other is this ground signal (Black wire with green stripe?) sent to the 3 wire Alt. This is all DC so the brush you use for each (+ or -) doesn't matter. As should be obvious this reg. MUST BE GROUNDED GOOD where it fastens under the dash. Shocked
    The 2 wire Alt gets hot positive ignition to the one open brush from the regulator. The switching on and off at idle is the WAVE/Pulsing you get at the Amp Gauge needle, and your lights.
    There are new electronic regulators out there now that replace the old points type box without any wiring issues. Very Happy
    Hope this helps.
    Terry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:25 pm