VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Working on window rolling issues

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Working on window rolling issues Empty Working on window rolling issues

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:05 am

Trying to figure out how to make this window work better. When rolling down from the starting position, I have to push down with my hand to get it going. It gets better about 3/4 way down. When rolling up, it goes better around the 1/4 way up mark and gets tougher thereafter. The window seems to have a little side to side play as it goes up and down. (I compared it to the driver's window which works better.) Not sure how much play it should have. I sprayed some W-D in the crank hole (not on the track) and worked it around but it didn't seem to do a thing.

Do I need to take the next layer of door panel off? Greg mentioned a set screw somewhere that I don't see exposed at this point.

Working on window rolling issues Door710

Working on window rolling issues Door310
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Working on window rolling issues Empty Re: Working on window rolling issues

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 am

ok -ive had same issues on my 56 chev truck. 1st - grease the track that the actual mechanism runs inside (roller ) . My actual problem was with the felt lined Channels on each side of the glass. If bad / worn they will come apart & make the glass bind up(no room for glass)--If new & replaced?? they will sometimes need removed & inspected as to9 what is making them not give some space between the actual channel & glass. Glass must be floating a little yet not much> Sometimes - wether screwed or riveted into door its a little tight & must be redone .My experiences only. Have you had new Glass cut & installed?? if so might be the actual glass is a bit too large & must be sanded to fit better?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:ok -ive had same issues on my 56 chev truck. 1st - grease the track that the actual mechanism runs inside (roller ) . My actual problem was with the felt lined Channels on each side of the glass. If bad / worn they will come apart & make the glass bind up(no room for glass)--If new & replaced?? they will sometimes need removed & inspected as to9 what is making them not give some space between the actual channel & glass. Glass must be floating a little yet not much> Sometimes - wether screwed or riveted into door its a little tight & must be redone .My experiences only. Have you had new Glass cut & installed?? if so might be the actual glass is a bit too large & must be sanded to fit better?

Glass is old, not new. Previous owner replaced the felt, I believe and mentioned that the window hadn't been up/down ten times since. My gut feeling is the felt is binding. I just didn't want to take the whole panel off it unnessary. The track looks like it has clean grease in place, at least where I can see it. I need to address the inside anyhow, so that me a project this weekend.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:38 am

You can try the clear silicone spray lube on the felt.
    Often this will free it up, so you know that's the issue.
    Also, many of the window cranks are worn.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Working on window rolling issues Empty rollers ??

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 am

does the glass bind? when going up/down - do as rod states & retry ?? works or same? Might also inspect all mechanisms - & watch closely as ive seen some rollers that were flat or broken in spota that gave same problem ur having. Should be 2 rollers in theer also
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Just a thought I had....In my 53 ford I removed the glass from the window roller mechanism and with 2 people, one holding the window from inside the door and me outside, we slid the glass up and down in it's track and found that the felt had actually rusted inside the door and was causing the felt to swell up about half way up the window opening. If it's not a lot of trouble I would try that, then you will no for sure that it's not binding when not attached to the window crank. We then took a piece of round rod a little thicker then the glass and ran that up and down the felt and the window worked great after that, even with the window leaning forward when rolling up. Had to pull the glass back to finish rolling it up the last half inch. Just my 2 cents on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am