VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
itruns
6 posters

weatherstrip glue

weatherstrip glue Empty weatherstrip glue

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 am

Hello to all, just want to know what kind of glue should i use to install my weatherstrips, just finish the paint so should i sand where the rubber will touch the door?i will post some picts when have time, thanks for any infos.....corrosive101
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

weatherstrip glue Empty Re: weatherstrip glue

Post by itruns Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 am

Mu auto glass guy used primer on both the door and the weatherstrip then stuck it on with urethane and closed the door to let it set up.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 am

3M is what I used on the 69, comes in Black and Yellow. Someone told me one was better than the other and sorry to say I can't remember which one is better. There maybe other products out there. Go to a auto body supply shop and they should have what you need. Welcome to the site!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am

The secret is in the application of the glue,,,,,coat both sides, let it tack up, then lightly recoat one side and stick it on,,,,,,,,
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 am

I’ve heard the yellow is better, it’s often referred to as “gorilla snot"
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:24 am

always have used -Yellow- yet thats before the black came out - I still use yellow- now for over40 years. Just dont put it where it will show =after gasket seats & stays on. Best stuff ive seen -ever -Happy Vannin
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

I used the Black. it blends in and is holding fine, Put it on pretty much like Don said. if you can get your seals layed out on a piece of plywood or something and make sure you put iton the right side of the seal. I used latex gloves and just put a very small bead on each surface and then smeared it, then took off the gloves, have plenty, lit a smoke and then it was pretty much ready to stick on. Keep some body masking tape ready to help hold any stubborn upside down places, and detack the tape if your going on fresh paint. You shouldnt have to sand it but make sure it is clean.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm sorry to tell you guys that i'm not a newbie, my computer went kaput (hard drive)so i coundnt communicate on the forum for a monthe or so, and i was so busy...., , and when i got it back (yesterday), i tried to login but the webserver didnt reconize me (man was i upset!!) so i had to register as a newbie, with my same username and the same password!!...
    so with no computer around i did more on the van, finish the body and did the paint myself, after doing shit on the doors (orage peel), i contacted friends pro in painting, he land me his spraygun, and i wend to buy myself a compressor(15.2 cfm, 6.5 hp,60 gal) ..... i've decided to paint the van separately( top and front, sides and doors) wich relly worked nicely, so the paint job is done and i'm pretty satified with it(first timer hey), i reinstalled the doors with my wife, and now i'll installed the weatherstripes,handles, locks and windshiel and go for a ride:)( i hope this week)
    big thanks to everybody , i really missed that..now i'll try to post some picts ,which my wife took with her ipod, because our camera went also kaput!( man do i hate electronics....corrosive 101

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 4:18 pm