VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
BILLS66
G-Man
andrew carter
slowflapper
m1dadio
Lazarusvan
10 posters

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Empty SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am

I think one of my first moves is going to be changing the exhaust tips. I'm looking at something currently, but would like to see what else looks great on the Earlies. I've never done this before, so don't know what's out there.

Looking to change these:

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Tail_p12

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Empty Re: SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 am

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Vanqui13

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Empty Re: SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST)

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 am

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) 73397713
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:30 pm

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Dscn2010

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Dscn0115

M1D
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Lazarusvan wrote:I think one of my first moves is going to be changing the exhaust tips. I'm looking at something currently, but would like to see what else looks great on the Earlies. I've never done this before, so don't know what's out there.

Looking to change these:

man those things are sweet Smile are they on both sides?

I'd have them chromed and roll with it

eta: here's me tips:
    SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) IMG-20110319-00294
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:22 pm

slowflapper wrote:
    Lazarusvan wrote:I think one of my first moves is going to be changing the exhaust tips. I'm looking at something currently, but would like to see what else looks great on the Earlies. I've never done this before, so don't know what's out there.

Looking to change these:

man those things are sweet Smile are they on both sides?

I'd have them chromed and roll with it

eta: here's me tips:
    SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) IMG-20110319-00294

Edit: Yes, both sides. Constructed by former owner.

I love yours and may go that route some day. I'm thinking of keeping it simple for now. They would be nice chromed. The former owner has requested first dibs should I remove them. Have to say-this sucker is loud! If different dips would quiet it down a bit, I'd be all for it. I'm sure most of the rumble is from the engine in my lap!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 am

Tips wont make it quieter, are there any mufflers under it? If not you can get a set of short turbo mufflers or something from Summit and have them cut into the exhaust pipes and leave those like they are.

Turbos are about $30 each at Summit.
    andrew carter
    andrew carter

Number of posts : 465
    Registration date : 2011-09-04

Post by andrew carter Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:27 pm

where can i buy these 4 port exhust tips they would look great on my 67 a108

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

those are called "ZOOMIES" and need to be custom made since I don't think they are sold anywhere as a kit anymore. Any good muffler shop should be able to make them. I have had mine custom made for 40 years now.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:35 pm

These are on my 69, they are made by Hooker Headers
    SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) 00125
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:41 pm

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) 00115
    andrew carter
    andrew carter

Number of posts : 465
    Registration date : 2011-09-04

Post by andrew carter Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:22 pm

thanks for the info vanishing breed american mufflers is making the zoomies for me should look great when they are done

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:27 pm

I had mine made from aluminized pipe. If I had it to do over again I think I would have had them powder coated or annodised.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I put "zoomies" on my first van (1967 A100) back in 1973 and have had the same guy make them for me ever since. If you put a set of Flowmaster Delta Force single chamber muffers with them you will get a sound that can't be beat. It will sound like you have open headers from the outside but not to loud on the inside.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Great stuff. I'd say G-Man is in the lead if I was judging what hits me as I like the doubled up look. I also like the down turn or straight out over the upturn, but no one's asking Razz

Mike is right. The zoomies sound really nice. Not having owned anything with rumble before, it took some time to hit me. The sound is really tight and not sloppy at all until the exhaust "relaxes" on the return.

My van is really loud when at idle and quiets down as I get up to speed. I may keep them and chrome them even though the set of four is a little much for my taste. I think the painted black is what is making them feel a little home made and less custom. They are well done, just not my exact taste. I may spray chrome em first to get a feel for how the will look.

I do prefer the exit before the rear tire.

I was going to get the set of Thrush double tips that were on Ebay and see how they looked. One went higher than I bid and the other I missed by a day not getting back to the owner. I have a thing for paired up examples.

Ones I missed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-thrush-Aluminum-Turn-Out-Side-Pipes-/220865527396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336c9c7e64

I think these might look pretty nice as well. They are similar to the Thrush: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=270827678394&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

These seemed like decent choices:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=270601460804&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=160587696642&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

LASTLY:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product/images/large/G_16292G_CL_1.jpg

Like the straight doubles the best.

Seems like a sticky showing exhaust tips would be a good thing for point of reference. One for rims/tires would be nice as well since seeing is easier than imagining.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 pm

I have these Corvette tips for my 61 Econo Pickup. This is the first time I haven't had one pipe per cylinder. I usually use three pipes on each side on straight sixes and four pipes on each side on V8s. Glass Packs sound good with zoomies but I prefer Delta Force Racing mufflers.

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Cdwgge14

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 pm

The zoomies that are turned up are the original style zoomies. They were the in thing here in So. Cal. back in the vanning boom of the 70s. Instead of chroming yours you might want to have them annodized to look like chrome.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:25 pm

I know I have a million questions...

Can anyone explain the benefits of double wall vs. single wall muffler tips? Guessing double walls last longer, but is there any other benefit or affect on sound?

Any benefit to rolled edges other than look?

What is the purpose of insulators?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I have to replace the exhaust tomorrow or before driving much as the doughnut where the exhaust meets the manifold is completely rusted out and has a vac leak. It rumbles when off letting off the gas and backfired yesterday.

Any other thoughts on mufflers in terms of sound? I will drive this a good bit, so something quiet at idle and without a lot of chop, chop, chop after letting off the pedal is what I am looking for. I want it to sound muscular when I get on it and to be something that isn't overly loud at highway/road trip speeds.

I currently have zoomies and they sound good, but I really want my own look, so they will eventually go if not right away.

Exhaust is true dual, side exit and I want to keep that, so already louder than tailpipes.

Hard to judge what I have now with leak and holds near the zoomies.

P.O. says he thinks he installed Flowtech (current).

I was given Walker Dynomax as a good fit. It's a stock sound muffler. Forget that..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSSy5JfJkw

Good video of Dynomax/Thrush sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGyLVmFqmY

I've looked at youtube videos with 350's, but every setup is so unique. I like Flowmaster sound, but I think it's too loud. Looking for tight sound that is quiet at speeds and at idle. Think "I can still talk on the cell phone." Thanks.

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Laz ... I Like the Flowmaster sound as well .. But as you say it might be Loud to listen to all the time .... I have never had them ... But they sound so GOOD !!!!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Like have flowmasters on the 69 and they aren't to load, or maybe I'm just used to it Smile
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Getting close to finally replacing my exhaust, and this is the look I've always wanted, or something close to it. Large, beefy dual tips. Perhaps same or similar style.

Curious what you all think. I've always planned to go side exit, but I am liking the look of it in the back. A set of four outlets on the back would surely look like I mean business. But, I do like the side exit look as far as giving the van some pop.

I will be going with straight, dual exhaust (no y or x).

SIDE EXIT BEFORE THE AXEL:

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Muff110

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Muff510

SIDE EXIT BEHIND THE AXEL (MORE COSTLY)

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Muff210

STRAIGHT BACK ON BOTH SIDES:

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Muff410

SHOW ME YOUR TIPS!!!!!!!!!(EXHAUST) Muff310

Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 pm

The shorter your exhaust system the louder it'll sound inside the cab. Flowmasters offer so many varieties you can get super loud 2-chambers or the Delta 40 series are a bit quieter. I had short 3" 2-chambers on my van with side turnouts in front of the axle. It sounded like a race car (hot motor.) My '64 Cadi had dual Flowmaster Hushpowers all the way to the back and it sounded nice and deep with a unique rap back, not too loud.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 am

I run them out the side in front of the axle, but also think they look good in the other locations
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 am

I think they look good anywhere but I'd keep them on the side. Primarily because if the rear popout windows are open (like they are 100% of the time in the summer) they dont pull as much exhuast inside.

Airflow goes from back to front inside the van, I could see you getting smogged if the pipes come up right under the bumper.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:42 am