VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Axle seal leaking

Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Axle seal leaking Empty Axle seal leaking

Post by Stoopid john Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:47 pm

The right side seal is bleeding out. I know it's been fine since 67 but should i just replace the bearing and seal or install the "green" bearing setup on both?? I guess it didn't like my 10 hour trip the other weekend...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5249444/

I like this idea but has anyone done this??
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Axle seal leaking Empty Re: Axle seal leaking

Post by dix Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Ihave the green bearings installed now. that was part 1 of installing disc brakes in the rear. if you are not going to install the disc brakesthen don't waist your time. every one is telling me the factory roller bearings are far beter than the ball bearing.from what i am being told they do not handle cornering as well. but i want to do the disc brake conversion.also you would need to do the fronts. if the axel seal is leaking just replace the seal. and greese the bearing when you pull the axel out, I have read up on this but every one seems split on using them.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 am

There is the same green bearings on e-bay for $85.00 that has all the seals and gaskets needed. that Sunnitt does not include. To install the green bearings you need to cut off the old bearing . This takes ia little time. you also need to have the new ones pressed on. Also you should remove a center slide that every one on the internet refers to as a button . this holds the spiders in place. If you are not installing the disc brakes. because the backing plate for the disc brakes is now not used. Or as i chose to do was cut down the axles about 3/16 in each Do your home work before jumping in to this.. Maybe Rod will chime in on this one.....
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:39 am

Thanks for posting. I'm a mechanic so the press and cutting off the old stuff isn't really a problem.

I've read up on this too, i like the idea of the "green" bearings but i might get a boat or build another race car and will use the van to tow. It sounds like the "green" bearings don't live long towing.

Your the first i've seen with a van that did the swap. I think i'll stick with fixing what i have.

thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 am