VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
austinmodhouse
Jay 13
donivan65
Sy Hollinshead
NipRing
9 posters

I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago

NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago  Empty I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago

Post by NipRing Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:58 pm

anyone close by who can help me? I bought a 65 chevy with the 230. Driving it home it's been running like a champ. But now I think the fuel pump went. I took off the air filter and when I turn the key and look into the carb, there is no fuel. If anyone has any ideas please give me a call. 262-271-5858. I already called a service guy but since I'm on the freeway it's gonna be $$ Sad.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago  Empty Re: I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Could be a fuel blockage somewhere. These things collect a lot of crud in the tank.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago  Empty Re: I'm broken down right now between Gary Indiana and Chicago

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 pm

That's right Sy, rule #1, drain and clean out your tank when you get an Early,,,,but I am talking to him while he sits dead along the road in Illinois,,,,,trying to get his new van home,,,,,,,
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:47 pm

you can run the van off of a 5 gallon gas can and a long piece of gas line hose just to get you home if it is the gas tank.I got stuck on the New Jersey Turnpike about 15 years ago and it would have cost a fortune to get a tow.Lucky I had a gas can and some old gas line in the back,just hook up the line to the fuel pump intake and drop the other side in the top of the can. it isn't fancy but it will get you home.good luck and congrats on the new van
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:03 pm

just don’t light up any smokes while you got that can open!

this past new years eve here in austin, some girls ran out of gas. some dudes in a truck decide to help, give them a ride to the gas station and put gas in a bucket! driving the girls back to their car, one dude refuses to ride in the truck b/c of the open bucket of fuel. other dude is less careful and lights up a smoke…. needless to say, it didn’t end well.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 pm

He got it started and he's almost home. I'm thinking vapor lock.

Gongrats on the purchase!
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Post by NipRing Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm home now, thankfully! And itruns, thanks you for the offer to put us up for the night, that was very generous. I called a mechanic, waited about 90 min for him to get there, only for him to reach into the van, turn the key and it started Sad I still had to pay him $171 for that affraid . Regardless, i'm so glad i got it home, 1100 miles in 20 hours. I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. I need to sleep right now.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by NipRing on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

NipRing wrote:I'm home now, thankfully! And itruns, thanks you for the offer to put up up for the night, that was very generous. I called a mechanic, waited about 90 min for him to get there, only for him to reach into the van, turn the key and it started Sad I still had to pay him $171 for that affraid . Regardless, i'm so glad i got it home, 1100 miles in 20 hours. I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. I need to sleep right now.

Thanks
    Bill

That's awesome, Bill. I had spoken with that guy before you purchased it and he said he would drive it anywhere and I believe him. That's a nice van with auto. Can't wait to see what you make of it.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Vanners are better than people! Glad things finally worked out!
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Breaking down away from home is always a bummer, I don't have enough fingers to count how many times it has happened to me and you know its a miracle if anyone stops. Several times broke down on Florida turnpike and watched as several Florida troopers flew by. I learned along time ago not to panic or kick the quarter panel, funny sometimes sitting a while and turning key it will mysteriously start, oh and the prayers helped too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:46 am