VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Lazarusvan
EconoCarl
oo3
ScottyJones
RodStRace
DanTheVanMan
fmc56
bugeye bob
G-Man
NipRing
14 posters

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:)

NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:) Empty I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:)

Post by NipRing Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:05 pm

And driving it back to milwaukee. 1 stop is going to be at my inlaws in Cleveland, is there any other recommended points of interest we could stop at? We thought about seeing the statue of Liberty but I'm worried about driving in busy NY in a vehicle I'm not overly familiar with, and I don't want it stolen Sad
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:) Empty Re: I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:)

Post by G-Man Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Have a safe trip, give us some pictures of your trip

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:) Empty Re: I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:)

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Congrats on your new acquisition.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 pm

We like to look for quirky/funny landmarks/places to stop and take pictures. I'll post em up for sure. We arent leaving until the 20th because this next week is my wife's week on at the hospital (7 on/7 off) and monday the 19th she'll still be wiped, so we leave tuesday morning.

And yes, i'm very excited. The craigslist ad is still up in providence under 1965 van if you want to see it. I've sent a paypal deposit to hold it. He seems like an honest guy.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Congrats NipRing, well once your in Ohio consider some of the Amish areas. I was doing the ancestry thing the other night and some of my family was from Holmes County Ohio and that area is beautiful and full of what looks like great Amish cooking, I just googled it and found restaurant,hotels and places of interest.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:49 am

NipRing wrote:And driving it back to milwaukee. 1 stop is going to be at my inlaws in Cleveland, is there any other recommended points of interest we could stop at? We thought about seeing the statue of Liberty but I'm worried about driving in busy NY in a vehicle I'm not overly familiar with, and I don't want it stolen Sad
    I live in RI, 3 miles from the airport. Contact me at fredcarello@yahoo.com. Check out the mansions and Cliffwalk in Newport RI, beaches on the southern coast also. Mystic CT has a nice old time seaport village with wooden ships, whaleing boats etc, NYC isn't too bad, traffic is terrible.
    Fred
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:18 am

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:) 1965_v10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

I'm flying to RI to pick up my first early:) Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 am

Take lots of pictures, and keep a log of the trip.
    Don't try to fly out with tools and parts, just pick up some when you land.
    I'd suggest fluids, gas filter, socket set and wrenches, a couple vise-grips, hammer, pliers and a laptop so you can search for stuff and keep the log.
    Grab a big chunk of cardboard to lay on, make sure you have a spare with the right lug nuts, a star wrench and small jack, and some tie wire, electrical tape and duct tape. Rain-X is a good idea too, if the wipers or defroster end up quitting.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623971
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 am

I once bought a 64 Dodge Dart Station Wagon in Denver, Colorado. Flew into Denver, bought the car and immediately started my trek back to San Diego. Only took me two days and a lot of driving. I brought two of my buddies with me just for the experience, and so we could switch off driving. I was super lucky to have absolutely no problems with the car and made it back in one piece. Man, what a fun trip though...one I'll never forget!

Hope your journey is as smooth as mine was!
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 pm

rod you are right about the rain x - saved my arse once on a trek thru ohio in a dirty lite snow slush fall - had problems seeing anything until i pulled off and bought some rain x - didnt even need the wipers after that - bought a 66 cutlass when i lived in la (cali) and drove it back to michigan -45 hours and with a 4 hour nap - sold it and paid for the trip - dont know if i would be up for that in my older time frame - have a safe trip - oo3
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:54 pm

RodStRace wrote:Take lots of pictures, and keep a log of the trip.
    I'd suggest fluids, gas filter, socket set and wrenches, a couple vise-grips, hammer, pliers and a laptop so you can search for stuff and keep the log.
    Grab a big chunk of cardboard to lay on, make sure you have a spare with the right lug nuts, a star wrench and small jack, and some tie wire, electrical tape and duct tape. Rain-X is a good idea too, if the wipers or defroster end up quitting.

[url=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623971
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623971[/quote[/url]]

Damn John! Sounds like you've been there, done that! We flew into Grand Junction Colorado to pick up a buddy's freshly done '59 VW double cab pick-up. Before we left he pre-shipped a small tool box and a couple of spares. We had a pretty uneventful trip although we did run out of gas once. Come to think of it, you might want to carry a small gas can too!
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice van and a nice guy. There are lots of photos posted on the for sale section accompanying this van.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I guarantee it won't get stolen at the statue of Liberty, unless it float's What a Face
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 am

RodStRace wrote:Take lots of pictures, and keep a log of the trip.

Good advice, thanks. I will add some of that to my running list of what to take/ buy after i leave the sellers house. I also set the 3G data plan for my wife's ipad.

Also Fred, if you have the time, i'd like to stop and say hi. But since we have family watching our kids at home during the couple of days we'll be gone, our time is somewhat limited. Our plane lands at 11 AM next tuesday, so if your available in the early afternoon that'd be cool.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:04 am

Sounds cool have fun!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 am

One more thing to do before the trip.
    Go online and get the right part numbers for stuff like the starter, water pump, fuel pump, belts, dist, plugs, thermostat, etc. Better to gather that info in the comfort of your own home than try to figure this stuff out on the road, at the mercy of the local parts guy who may or may not be sharp on older stuff.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 pm

RodStRace wrote:One more thing to do before the trip.
    Go online and get the right part numbers for stuff like the starter, water pump, fuel pump, belts, dist, plugs, thermostat, etc. Better to gather that info in the comfort of your own home than try to figure this stuff out on the road, at the mercy of the local parts guy who may or may not be sharp on older stuff.

Rockauto.com baby!

Jump pack with inverter and compressor. Wiring is usually fragile, so some wire, crimp connector kit, test lights, small jumper wires, etc. Harbor Freight has some of the best low budget Chinese products on the planet!

Watch out when turning these things. I'd give you a 50% chance that someone will jump a curb on the way back lol.

You may want some kind of seat cushions. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Congrats dude!
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Good advice, thanks. I will add some of that to my running list of what to take/ buy after i leave the sellers house. I also set the 3G data plan for my wife's ipad.

Also Fred, if you have the time, i'd like to stop and say hi. But since we have family watching our kids at home during the couple of days we'll be gone, our time is somewhat limited. Our plane lands at 11 AM next tuesday, so if your available in the early afternoon that'd be cool.[/quote]
    I'll be around. I live 3 miles from the terminal. Email me before you leave and I'll give you my phone number. Where in RI are you picking up the van?
    Fred
    fredcarello@yahoo.com
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 pm

All i know is he's 6 miles away. I think its east providence? We have a layover in chicago so I'll email you from there.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:02 pm

I highly recommend a visit to Freds. He's quite the host and has a very impressive collection to admire. Does some pretty good seat covers too!!

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:07 am