VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

has this happend to you wtf

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2631
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

has this happend to you wtf - Page 2 Empty Re: has this happend to you wtf

Post by savage Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Hey Don, Maybe Fester can come and tie his van to your stump and pull it out Laughing That should put sme torque on it???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Don't be surprised someday, if you see a picture of spinning tires,,,,,clutch smoking,,,,,dirt flying,,,,,,chains stretching,,,,and hopefully a big hole where that stump is right now,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 pm

I will brake test asap. I would like to put the new pully and blade I got from the yard on first and then test it with the new additional clearance I'll be getting see how things go from there then after that.........
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm

That sounds like a plan,,,,,,you say this has happened to you twice,,,,,,and its a good chance #3 is coming up unless you change something,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Yup, and I'm tired of playing around with it for this issue.I'd like to play with the electrical, and painting the new interior trim I got, and making pannels and hard head liner.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 pm

So like how many miles have you driven before the drama set in? Were you taking off in 1st or backing up? Or were you at higher RPMS when it happened?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Dont know how many miles I put on her befor the first timeI drove it from your neck of the woods to up here and for at least a couple of months. This last time I would have to say about 500 miles max. I was taking off from first this last time and the time befor I would guess the same but then it only nicked the face up a little and cracked the top inlet. The first time i know I was driving slow to normal I had my 2 year old girl with me(its my mini van) the second time I might have been trying to go a little faster to merge with traffic but I wouldnt say I was gunning it.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:11 am

One inch is a safe distance on the Econoline, all mine are within that distance. Sounds like maybe your fan is the problem, diameter shouldn't be great enough for it to reach the inlet. Bet your little girl like riding in the van!? They can see so much more from an early!

Later and good luck,
    Rip

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 am

I'll be checking the diffrence of the pullys and fan from what is on it and would should be there on tuesday and hpoefully doing that brake test to see what going on befor getting it recored.Ya she loves ridding in the van she's like a little queen looking down upon her subjects and when she catches me on this site she thinks the pics she see's are of my van, future vanner?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:29 am

So you got 1" of clearance and the engine moves 1 1/4",,,,,,you said you replaced the trans mount with a piece of rubber???? Now that would be #1 suspect in my book,,,,,you would need really strong rubber or nylon or neoprene to hold the engine and trans in place.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 am

The rubber used for the replacement is a part used for the same application it seemed hard. It was oversized and I milled it down.The one I pulled out was neoprene like a skateboard wheel. I would like to think my replacement was good it needed pounding in to make it fit.The dounut has a bolt sleeve that fits inside that also had to be beat in. During that beating the dounut didnt shift.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 pm

I guess the brake torque is the way to go,,,someone can watch that rear mount and see what it does,,,,or the fan is flexing outward or the crossmembers are moving forward. How about this one,,,, you got such a high powered cooling system that it sucks the radiator right into the fan,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Hopefully its as simple as the wrong fan and pully, when it comes down to brake test.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:23 pm