VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

I finally made it here

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

I finally made it here Empty I finally made it here

Post by sasktrini Thu May 22, 2008 10:39 am

I can log on to the new forum now... not sure if I can post... last attempt sent me back to log in. But thanx for gettin me set up! I'm chompin at the bit to start fixin up my 64 Econoline, and to get cruisin!

Cheers

I finally made it here Empty Re: I finally made it here

Post by Guest Thu May 22, 2008 10:45 am

Hey Sasktrini....enbro from the mid site. Don't tell anyone, but I've got my eye on an early van and plan to sell my baby blue '72 Econo...don't tell anyone over there though!

Last edited by enbro on Thu May 22, 2008 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu May 22, 2008 10:52 am

enbro wrote:Hey Sasktrini....enbro from the mid site. Don't tell anyone, but I've my eye on an early van and plan to sell my baby blue '72 Econo...don't tell anyone over there though!

Okay... sssshhhh silent

well, there are guys on that board in ontario looking to buy a mid... they might as well buy a good one, right! You're just promoting the good of the community! I'd try to keep both, but that's my problem right now!

Corey
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Post us some pictures over here. Smile
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu May 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Here it is, finally home.
    I finally made it here 3055944_23_full

The worst of the rust is at the rear drivers door lower hinge (pic trapped in my camera), but another scary spot is under the passenger door.
    I finally made it here 3055944_9_full

Haven't figured out if it has a 144 or a 170...
    I finally made it here 3055944_6_full

Previous owner tried to deal with the engine noise... ugh... ever hear of dynomat?
    I finally made it here 3055944_20_full

After I get rid of the many screw heads on the roof, I hear a good scraping and POR-15 might bring some life back.
    I finally made it here 3055944_26_full

Welcome to my project! What did I get myself into? Laughing
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu May 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Question: Chebby (or GMan), Should I have posted this many pics in this topic, or should I have used the gallery? I was thinking it might be too much for slow connections...
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Wink

That's Kinda of a Rare Van !!! it's Got a smooth Roof .... Most have Ridges !!!!! AND JUST WANT TO WELCOME YOU IN HERE ... GREAT HAVEING YOU WITH US !!!!!!!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 pm

This is the kind of thing I like to see. Someone taking on a van that should be saved. Fixing 40 + years of hackers is a job, but every little thing is rewarding. Look forward to seeing it come together. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Fri May 23, 2008 9:22 am

sasktrini wrote:Question: Chebby (or GMan), Should I have posted this many pics in this topic, or should I have used the gallery? I was thinking it might be too much for slow connections...

They are fine in the post! I've seen more and had a slow connection not too long ago. Pictures are usually worth the wait! Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

looks like fun, are you gonna put some windows in them doors, or panel the rest of the van??
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri May 23, 2008 2:56 pm

2vans_man wrote:looks like fun, are you gonna put some windows in them doors, or panel the rest of the van??

I don't know yet... the windows are growing on me. Maybe I will keep them IF I can come up with a way to privacy tint them closely colormatched to the paint scheme I choose... ie Red tint if I paint red, blue tint for blue paint... I'd like to make the windows blend in like a panel would be, but the comfort for passengers would remain!

With windows all the way around though, it affects what you can do as far as custom cabinetry... so I don't know. There is a guy on Vannin.com that I may swap barndoors with... I almost feel sorry for this falcon van for having panel doors!

Cheers!

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 pm

You can paint the inside of the glass and on the outside it will appear like dark tint, however you lose the ability to see out. But it's an idea. I've done it before and the effect is really nice on the outside, especially in black because it looks like dark dark limo tint.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat May 24, 2008 10:36 am

Sasktrini, your van having an almost smooth roof tells me it's either a 61 or 62 model. From 63 up they had the lines in them so yours cant be a 64. I would bet the motor is a 144 in which case I would toss it out. The tranny is probably non-synchro first gear also. If it'doesnt have a plate on top(top loader) it's a non symchronized model. I would toss that out too and upgrade to a 63 and up style synchronized tranny.Your most cost effective upgrade would be a 200 which will bolt right in. Anything bigger requires a lot of modifications. If those side doors are rust free I would swap you a set of good window doors for them. Feel free to ask any questions about your van. I know enuf to be dangerous:-)
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat May 24, 2008 9:09 pm

The profile of the roof is weird... smooth, but indents at the front and back about two feet wide... makes the roof look kinda H-shaped with a hump in the middle... I don't know how I feel about it.

I am interested in swapping my panel doors for window ones, but have to try to arrange a swap between myself and a vanner in North Carolina... it's very far away, but it's my word to him first. I need to see about shipping costs to see if we can do this or not. If we can't do it , then I'll condsider other options or other deals. I'd like to do it soon, as my van is crying out for bodywork! And my Lincoln is tired of being used on a cheap car! In the perfect world, my Econoline would be ready for a van run at the end of July, about 10 hours drive from home.

Who knows though... maybe I'll find a vin that proves the van is a 61. The block is a 63 though. I think it's a weird canadian thing with this van... am told on econosrus that it's quite rare!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 25, 2008 7:16 am

Nothing extremely rare about it that I can see other than being an early which in itself is rare. Canadian Econolines were badged as Mercury,not Ford. The VIN plate would tell you everything you need to know. The engine has probably been swapped. If you post a pic of the steering column support bracket I can narrow it down to whether its a 61-62 model,or possibly a 63-64 model. 65-67 models used yet a 3rd style of plate. Im positive yours isnt a 65-67.
    The reason for the change in roof style from yours to one with lines in it was due to roof noise and strength issues. The lines were added as a cure.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon May 26, 2008 8:05 am

It's definitely noisy with the roof flapping around. I haven't removed the old carpentry from the ceiling yet, but over the drivers area there are ribs missing. Half the roof is so pitted with rust, I really don't know if it will clean up or if I'll have to cut it. I may get creative. I would like to add sunroofs front and rear, but the roof lines wouold make that almost impossible as is.

I almost bought a 64 Mercury 8 door panel here in town, that sold on ebay for $3500 back in december... it was too much, but definitely rare. I trust that this van is a Canadian-made 64 Econoline... I think it's that Mercurys were exclusively a Canadian product, but Fords were made here too (an assumption, but was definitely true with their other lines (mustang/cougar and capri, Fseries line, Crown Vic, etc)... probably just had different trim options.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:08 pm