VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
chester42
Vanner63
Twinpilot001
7 posters

Maiden Voyage

Maiden Voyage Empty Maiden Voyage

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Yesterday I was able to make the maiden voyage outside of the neighborhood streets with my 61 pickup. About a 60 mile round trip with some stop and go but mostly open country roads. Truck went down the road pretty well with new tread and was a consistent 50-55 mph. It was 85 yesterday and I dont know if the truck did not like the heat or what. After about 30 miles I started to have to go through some stop signs and the truck would not stay idilng coming to the signs. I was two footing it and kept it running, and when it would die it would start right back up. Any tips on what to look at would be awesome. The truck has a 200ci 6 in it.

The feeling of driving this thing down the road was just cool as hell. I probably had a smile on my face the entire way! Need to work out some small things...but what fun would be if everything was perfect?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:29 pm

carb?? float level too high?? vacumn leak? vacumn hose off due to backfire?/

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Vacuum leak was my first thought. I noticed the PCV vent front the valve cover to the carb kept popping out of the VC.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Mine seems to be doing the same thing. Seemed to be overheating slightly, runs just fine when its running at normal temps. It was a hot day here.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I remember the first time I drove my pickup after working on it all winter. Most folks would have said the look on my face at 55 mph was that of a man who had just seen a ghost. That damned truck was all over the place. Like trying to herd cats. I have adjusted the steering box and got an alignment and now I can safely go up to 70 mph believe it or not.
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 pm

That first legal trip with an early has to rate right up there with sex! Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:13 pm

chester42 wrote:That first legal trip with an early has to rate right up there with sex! Very Happy

word
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:39 pm

simpleman wrote:
    chester42 wrote:That first legal trip with an early has to rate right up there with sex! Very Happy

word

Well there's a lot of rolling from side to side, bouncing up and down, the feeling like if you lean too far forward, you are gonna kiss the ground... I can see where you are coming from!

But if you consider the fumes coming in to the cab, the questionable brakes that might raise the need for you to change your underwear, and the potential for motion sickness, I'd say sex is much better!

That said, sometimes you just need to be with your early... no companion can top it! The way it thanks you for a job well done... "nice tune-up... nice brakes... nice suspension bushings... nice bodywork... nice interior... You know what? Because you are such an awesome owner that cares about me, I'm gonna be the coolest ride in town for miles!" (and won't interrupt you during the football game).

I digress!!!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 pm

sasktrini wrote:
    simpleman wrote:

word

Well there's a lot of rolling from side to side, bouncing up and down, the feeling like if you lean too far forward, you are gonna kiss the ground... I can see where you are coming from!

But if you consider the fumes coming in to the cab, the questionable brakes that might raise the need for you to change your underwear, and the potential for motion sickness, I'd say sex is much better!

That said, sometimes you just need to be with your early... no companion can top it! The way it thanks you for a job well done... "nice tune-up... nice brakes... nice suspension bushings... nice bodywork... nice interior... You know what? Because you are such an awesome owner that cares about me, I'm gonna be the coolest ride in town for miles!" (and won't interrupt you during the football game).

I digress!!!

word!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Maiden Voyage Empty Earlys & sex????

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Honestly = speaking from some experince- The guys our age that are commenting on their 1st ride in The earlys - I do believe = the ride IS MORE Enjoyable, Lasts as long as we want and Makes us smile much longer than sex!! Happy Vannin!!!! cheers [i]
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 pm

AMEN to that Twinpilot
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Maiden Voyage Empty do a vaccum test

Post by delraydoug Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 am

hook up a vaccum gauge to port on your intake make sure your getting at least 15 lbs. of presure. rotate distributor to get maxium vac pres. check the dwell on points then dial in the carb
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 am

Maybe even the second trip too, and the third, and the....

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:11 am

StuNami wrote:

Maybe even the second trip too, and the third, and the....
    I agree, they are all a blast.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:28 pm