VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Sy Hollinshead
sasktrini
Vanish
wirepuller
8 posters

Buying online from afar

wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Buying online from afar Empty Buying online from afar

Post by wirepuller Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 pm

How do I protect myself if I am unable to physically look at a van before I purchase it? Living in central AB, Canada and all the reasonably rust free vans are southern stateside, I can't afford to be driving all over for the perfect unit. Sending a money transfer and then hoping the seller follows through sounds like a huge leap of faith for me. Is there any suggestions or methods some of you guys have done here?

WP
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Buying online from afar Empty Re: Buying online from afar

Post by Vanish Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 pm

What Kind of Van are you looking for ??? This one's Not perfect But it Don't Have No Rust !!!!!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Get to know some of the guys here, and they may be willing to go check out vans in their area if you ask, even send their own pics... sort of providing their feedback on the quality of the van. Been done lots.

There are also many European members here who have purchased their old iron from the States! I'm sure they will chime in.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 pm

sasktrini wrote:Get to know some of the guys here, and they may be willing to go check out vans in their area if you ask, even send their own pics... sort of providing their feedback on the quality of the van. Been done lots.

There are also many European members here who have purchased their old iron from the States! I'm sure they will chime in.

These Guys on the Board here are Pretty Helpful .... You find one in a certain area ... Just ask ... More than Likely One of the Guys will go Check it out for you ....

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Vanish wrote:
    sasktrini wrote:Get to know some of the guys here, and they may be willing to go check out vans in their area if you ask, even send their own pics... sort of providing their feedback on the quality of the van. Been done lots.

These Guys on the Board here are Pretty Helpful .... You find one in a certain area ... Just ask ... More than Likely One of the Guys will go Check it out for you ....

This group just hates checking out earlies! lol

Another thought... there are a couple threads in the forum listing online vendors who have scammed people shopping for earlies. Take a read through there.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:05 pm

When i bought mine, i made sure i only bought from Ebay, and off a seller with good feedback. Its still a risk though.... If i lived in the States, i would be tempted to get on a plane and go and see it in person if it was good enough....
    Sy
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:50 am

You are close to me in spokane - dont dismiss the iron aroung the areas here & northern states near you. There is many available around here - even a dodge early pickup that didnt sell on ebay - yesterday - its 20 miles from mke & the guys asking 3700 usd for it. it is clean & driveable.
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Post by wirepuller Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks guys, any help I get from afar would be greatly appreciated! Twinpilot001; I have seen some pretty good iron come out of that state, it is definately on my radar, thanks!

WP
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Good Luck!! Let me know-Happy Vannin
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 746
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 am

sasktrini wrote:................

I bought my truck over the internet off a private advert on a 'local' website in Arkansas. Shocked The good ole boy who owned it was probably as unsure of me as I was of him....however, a few phone calls, and a deal was done. I used PayPal to transfer a deposit, and sent the balance to my buddy north of Dallas to drive across and complete the deal. My buddy also took a bunch of pictures for me, and stowed some much needed parts ready for the cross-country trip to California, and onto New Zealand by container ship. As usual there were a few surprises, but on the whole better than expected.

Like the guys say below....get to know someone here who lives close, and maybe they can help out. Cool
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:59 am

"Your buys your ticket, you rides the ride" as they say.

Just try and do as much research as possible and get someone to check it out for you if you can. I was very lucky when I got my van from several states away, the guy seemed legit right up until he got payment (and I didn't have the van) then he started getting flakey.

The "runs great" turned into "you don't want to fly out and drive it home", after much hassle I finally got a shipper to pick it up and it was a miracle they got it on the truck under its own power. No brakes, no exhaust system, the fuel system was rotted off of it and the crankcase was 50% water/oil from condensation. After a lot of work and money I've got it close to daily driver condition and feel very lucky that there wasn't anything really serious wrong with it (like a bad motor).

Get someone to look at it if you can, if not, maybe see if the seller will take it to a local shop for a pre-sale inspection or buy from a seller that you can have some faith in (ebay etc).

If you are looking for a particular van it would hurt to just ask here.
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Post by wirepuller Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Vanish....are you able to send me that slideshow? The website is blocked by our filters at work.

shaundoyle09 [at] gmail [dot] com
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8735
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm

e-bay has a buyer protection if you buy from them . i bought 1 on ebay and they had a 1,500 mile 30 day warnenty on it. kind of hard to beat. look into how you are going to ship it. if it does not run it will cost more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 10:35 am