VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Replacing heater core: what will work?

Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Replacing heater core: what will work? Empty Replacing heater core: what will work?

Post by Chroma66 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:06 pm

The heater core on my G1066 Sportvan leaks. Can I buy one new at an auto parts store (they're all closed now but I'll be checking tomorrow)? and if not, what should I look for in the junkyard? i browsed the forums but didn't quite find what I was looking for hence the post. Here's what I'm working with; I took the whole thing apart before I figured out the right bolts, he he!
    Replacing heater core: what will work? Dscf8019

Here's where we will detach from the engine:
    Replacing heater core: what will work? Dscf8020

Another picture of the heater core:
    Replacing heater core: what will work? Dscf8021

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Replacing heater core: what will work? Empty Re: Replacing heater core: what will work?

Post by Digz Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 am

I think you will have to be lucky to find a replacement over the counter. Somewhere there is a thread or post by Don that says something about using a core for a chevelle and swapping tanks ? I'm pretty sure you will have to disconnect the hoses from the core up under the nose of the van to remove it. Its not fun usually. The core is supposed to be held to the heater box by 2 small straps that use those tiny sheetmetal screws to hold them and come up and out of the floor with it. Taking off the duct work and blower first is a good thing. Also there is supposed to be a grommet where the tubes pass thru the floor. This can also be a PITA. but it keeps the tubes from rubbing against the sheetmetal and unfortunately is usually dried up and hard to work with if it is even still there. Perhaps ithe leak is something that can be repaired? Maybe some of the other guys can be of more help with the core.
    Good luck !
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Replacing heater core: what will work? Empty Re: Replacing heater core: what will work?

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 am

Replacing heater core: what will work? 1st_ge10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 am

Replacing heater core: what will work? Nodoor21
    Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by Chroma66 Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Actually your advice is excellent because that is exactly what happened ( I read your post after we got the core out) especially about the fan, which rules because I felt kind of foolish doing all that work!
    I didn't see the two straps or the grommet, but it didn't look like the rubber hoses had any contact with anything harmful.
    And I DID have to remove the hoses at the engine and under the bumper; there's no way the hoses were going to fit thru the holes in the floor and in the casing. I just cut them off, which I recommend. Better to spend $20 on new hoses than try to wrestle the old ones off. Inaccessible? Yes! So it does look like repair is the best option at this point-we will probably be able to fix it for about $30. Thanks again for the great advice! Maybe I can get that Chevelle core because this one would look great in an ikebana arrangement...
    Replacing heater core: what will work? Vanvan25

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:31 pm