VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

spewing oil

spewing oil Empty spewing oil

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:41 pm

hey i got oil spewing out the filler tube. its been getting worse and worse. do you think its valves or rings? it never burns blue out the tailpipe. over about a year its got to the point where its making quite a mess. anyone in canada have a 144 or 170 they want to sell? thanks

spewing oil Empty Re: spewing oil

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 pm

its got good compression and steady high vaccuum. could it be valve stem seals??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:30 pm

The valve cover and crankcase should be under a vacuum from the PCV valve,,,,,,and there should be air coming into the valve cover through the breather cap,,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,,when the rings are worn out, the compression goes down into the crankcase and pushes the oil out everywhere. Pull the oil filler cap off,,,,,start the engine,,,,,it should be sucking air in there not have pressure coming out of the valve cover,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:35 pm

maybe the pcv valve and tubing needs to be cleaned out again

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 pm

ok its the rings, because at higher rpm the pcv system cant suck all the fumes and the crank case gets super pressurized. so does anyone have a suggestion for re-ringing this motor in place in the van?? or where i could get a replacement motor to build and then put in the van later? thanks guys
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

The cylinder bore is probably enlarged, tapered and scored,,,,,,the right way is to bore the cylinders larger so that a bigger piston will fit tightly and the rings will seal,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:58 pm

yeah i drive the van every day so i think i'll have to build a new motor. how does overhauling compare to crate for expense and hassle? i think just shipping for a motor to bc would be like 300 bucks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:19 pm