VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
Vanish
bumpbug
7 posters

Freon cost

bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Freon cost Empty Freon cost

Post by bumpbug Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Went to wall mart today here in Riverside ca. to get a can of R-134 freon for my 4X4 and the price last year was about $7.40 a can
    and today it was $10. something PLUS PLUS PLUS the lady said a $10.00 can core charge started in Jan this year. Anybody else hear of this ? Good old ca taxes and such trying to kill us off here i guess.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Freon cost Empty Re: Freon cost

Post by Vanish Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Well Here in California ... if you have an extra nickel in your pocket ... some one has a Plan for it !!!!!! But I have never heard of this before !!!!!!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat May 14, 2011 12:00 am

I think it's a environment thing, they want to faze out Freon because it not good for the environment
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat May 14, 2011 12:31 am

I thought they banned that stuff years ago...!!!
    bumpbug

Post by bumpbug Sat May 14, 2011 8:07 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:I thought they banned that stuff years ago...!!!

It's the R-12 that they tried to get out of the publics hands. The 134 replaced it and you can buy it off the shelf in small cans. . . . with a 10 dollar can core charge, I need to call a couple of places and see if is true or not.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 am

heres the skinny on the stuff= R-12 is only sold outside the usa- still some around- yet expensive now. R-134 is the stuff to use- yet U MUST!! change the drier and compressoe seals( new Compressor) as the 134 is a different animal. and the old r12 seals & drier wont work good- wont cool as good. and eventually will leak. condensers dont make any difference and will work -yet the line hookup is different - here again - a hose place can get it done for you also. Walmart here sells the R134 stuff cheapest of anyone by the can or in a changeover kit. 10 bucks core charge - the hell with that - think someone is trying to screw u over on that one . get to walmart & see about it. Should you need any from here ill get it for you & ship it-or= order it6 from someone by the case out of state?? seems like wally worl was selling it just below 5 bucks a can - yet havent bought any in 2 years .
    But then again thats california for ya- think someone should have done a number on Ralph Nader many years back when seat belts were required!!
    bumpbug

Post by bumpbug Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 pm

I started at wall mart then checked with Kragens, ( Oreilly) auto parts and they have the 10 dollar can core charge also starting in Jan of this year. if you have a old can from last year you can't use it for a core charge. I don't know if it is just ca. or everywhere. Next they will make you put a air purifier up the ass to pass gas.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 pm

No core charge where I work, and we get 30 pound cans and use several a week. To the scrap yard when empty.
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 am

No core charge yet in GA either. Saw 134 at Big Lots and Dollar General last month for $8 a 12 oz can !

Freon cost Empty Freon

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Can't get that stuff up here ... banned years ago

J=M
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:07 pm

There is a company in Hauser Lake ,Idaho- that is manfacturing some "Freon type " stuff in 10/12 ounce cans that is compatable with the R-12 stuff/ systems. Ive used it and is ok if some dont want to concert to the new R-134 stuff. He sells it mainly in foreign countrys -yet we can get it here - direct from him. I will try & find out his name & / company.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:12 am