VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
econopoor
fmc56
Twinpilot001
EconoUSAparts
Magic Bus
StuNami
10 posters

Removing 67 dash pad?

StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Removing 67 dash pad? Empty Removing 67 dash pad?

Post by StuNami Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey all,

Are the four screws in defroster vents the only screws holding this on?
    I haven't attempted it or looked under the dash yet but old age has taught be to check with the experts before breaking something.

Thanks
    ~Nami
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Removing 67 dash pad? Empty Re: Removing 67 dash pad?

Post by Magic Bus Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:34 am

Nami, I tried taking mine off. .. there are 8 or 10 nuts under there, the pad has studs sticking out of it....the bad news is that I can't get mine off without taking out the windshield..... One possibility is that cutting off some of the length of the studs might gain enough clearance for it to lift off but since Im resurrecting my van the windshield has to come out anyway...just haven't got to it yet...good luck
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 am

The vent screws dont have anything to do with it. If you dont mind possibly cracking the pad, you can get it out without removing the windshield. Its a little tough though. I ve gotten em out without ruining them but its a chance you take if the glass is still in. You can always cut the windshield gasket too and make more room if you plan on changing the windshield at some point.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 am

So Guys= Hpw have we recovered the dash pad before? Whats some of uze done??
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:So Guys= Hpw have we recovered the dash pad before? Whats some of uze done??
    Here's a red one in my 63 8 door
    Removing 67 dash pad? 11-16-10

Midnight black in my old 65 pickup
    Removing 67 dash pad? 65_pic10

Medium Parchment in Bob Gebler's 65 van
    Removing 67 dash pad? Bob_ge11

Camel in Doug Shinn's 66 pickup
    Removing 67 dash pad? Doug_s12

All of these were cracked. I repaired and recovered them.
    Fred
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 am

I still get goosebumps everytime I see your 8 door's dash. That is sweet!

Duane in Tennessee.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Post by StuNami Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 am

Thanks. When I get back in town, I'll check it out. I'm removing all the other glass so I might as well remove the windshield. The dash has 3 coats of paint and the last one has runs. I like that dash with the red pad that Fred did. I had something similar in mind when I my my switches off of the dash and into a console.

Thanks All!
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:49 am

I successfully removed the dash pad from my donor. Only after the heater
    and vent box were removed so I could access the 10 or 12 nuts that hold it from underneath. A lot of Kroiloil and patience got off all the nuts and only broke one...did not have to take out the windshield.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 pm

The dash pad on my 67 came out and in very easily, no problems with the windshield.

kgdb
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Casimier wrote:I successfully removed the dash pad from my donor. Only after the heater
    and vent box were removed so I could access the 10 or 12 nuts that hold it from underneath. A lot of Kroiloil and patience got off all the nuts and only broke one...did not have to take out the windshield.

Taking the heater and vent box out is cheating. Gimme a 1/4 inch ratchet setup and Im good to go. Of course I ve done it many ,many times:-)
    StuNami
    StuNami

Post by StuNami Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Got home today and went to work. Came right out.

Thanks everyone.

Removing 67 dash pad? Img_0810

Removing 67 dash pad? Img_0811
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:01 am

Glad you got it out....so it came out easy? No clearance issues with the windshield?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks for the pics...now I now where to start looking around for all the nuts under there. Mine has a rather large bite mark out of the middle above the ash tray. My guess it probably happened when the previous owner was coming into town. As he recalled the brakes failed while driving through town to buy tractor parts. Should have put in a dual master cyl...lol
    Trainmaster
    Trainmaster

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2018-06-04

Post by Trainmaster Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 am

Thanks in part to this seven year old thread, I removed the dash pad from my '67 yesterday.  The nuts came off easily with a little Kroil to make them easier to spin by hand.  Laying on the floor, they're easy to see and reach with a deep socket.  

It's odd that my dash had a complete second row of mounting holes while the one pictured in this thread doesn't.  That row had no fasteners, however.  There are 12 nuts securing the pad.  

The windshield seal interferes a bit more than slightly with removing the pad.  I suppose the extent of interference depends on the manufacturer of the seal as some are "deeper" than others and the drilling of the holes at the factory.  I have a Carpenter seal and the left corner of the dash was pretty difficult to pry past the seal.  

I used a Sheetrok knife between the seal and pad to compress the seal and a screwdriver under the pad to pry the left stud out of its hole.  I also put some dish soap on the seal to coax the pad to slide over it.  Some grease on the stud also helped.  The dash pad is vinyl fabric glued to a steel base with foam inside.  It would be very easy to recover using the vinyl as a pattern.  

When removing the pad, avoid pressing hard against the raised vinyl edges or ends as you can crack or deform the thing or make it turn white from the stress.  

I did all this to paint and clean 50 years of crud from the area around the defroster vents and to clean the pad edges.  A drill mounted soft scrub brush (Made by DrillBrush) with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner cleaned the pad.  Some paint on the edges came right off with lacquer thinner which didn't hurt the pad.  Then I polished it with 303 Vinyl Dressing.  

To reinstall the pad, I'll probably elongate the hole or holes on the end where the seal fit tightly against the weatherstrip.  

Just figured I'd pass this along for anyone attempting the job in the future.  Good luck.

Eddie in Rockaway Beach, NY
    '67 Pickup
    Trainmaster
    Trainmaster

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2018-06-04

Post by Trainmaster Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Just replaced the dash pad. In my truck, I was able to do this without removing the windshield, though the gasket was in the way of the pad.

I was able to lift the gasket with a putty knife and run the lifted edge along the top of the dash pad, much like you'd lift the gasket over the lip when installing a windshield. I suppose I could of used a piece of thin rope as they did in the old days.

Once the gasket was lifted up atop the pad, the studs snapped into the holes and I reinstalled the stamped nuts under the dash.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:48 am