VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification???

Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification??? Empty Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification???

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:05 am

There's a bone yard not far from here that has a few early Econolines. I'd like to go snag some goodies, but it would be handy to know what year van I'm looking at before I dig in for certain specific parts. Are there any visual clues to look for to instantly determine what year I'm looking at from a few yards away? I'm new to the earlies, so I'm not all that familiar with them yet. Are there subtle differences that I'm missing? I know the '67s had the vertical tail lights, but other than that, I'm clueless. I tried a search here and on google, but no luck. Thanks guys.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification??? Empty Re: Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification???

Post by RodStRace Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 am

I find it best to check every van. Never know what was grabbed and used over the past 40+ years, so when it was built is not as important as what it has now.
    I know the 'A's better, but the 'E's had a split at 65, with different engine mounts, doghouses, and such. There are probably also some changes in 67 for the crash standards. Hopefully some E experts will answer this for you.

Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification??? Empty Re: Maybe I'm just a noob. E-van year identification???

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 am

The yard that has these vans is about 50 years old. Most of the stuff is buried under other vehicles, piled on top of a stack of other vehicles, overgrown with weeds and/or full of wasp nests and snakes. It sure would be nice to limit the amount of crawling, climbing and getting stung. haha.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:04 pm

64 and older the heater was on the floor, starting 65 it went to the firewall. Transmission mounts changed in 65. Pre-65 had a doughnut mount. Super vans of all years have the vertical lights, so short 67's will have round tail lamps. Also pre-65 didn't have a transmission hump. There are more, but these are the easiest.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:43 am

Only the Supervans had the vertical tai lights like Toad stated,all shorties and pickups had round,61 and early 62 had no roof lines in them front to back,early 61's had plastic white interior handles,61/62 no drivers door lock,67 had the rectangular floor hole and dual master cylinder,the rest were singles with round access hole,67 had backup lights on it,61-64 had a pickup style rear bumper,65-67 it was straight with license light on the rear door,67 had red e- flasher on the column,64 only had 2 holes underneath for the transmission mount,one position for stick,the other for auto,8 door models werent avaiable until 63,and several more too. Some of these are dead giveaways but some could be swapped out.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks for all the replies. This info will be helpful when I go to the bone yard next time (which I hope will be soon). I'm going to try to scrounge a '67 master cylinder, a decent dog house and some other goodies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:08 am