VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Empty VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 am

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Empty Re: VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 am

I have always wondered how well these work. Does anyone have one???
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Empty Re: VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 am

Had a swamp cooler for the whole house in Colorado. I was wondering the same thing....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 am

How does it work? From the description you add water to it but how is it to work? confused here Question
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 am

My Parents bought one when the bought their New 1948 pontiac- they mount to the side window glass on a metal (rubber or felt) track made on it. Water goes into the tank and as you drive the air enters the cooler(like a ram air effect) and water is attracted up & into the Media inside it( like a course Horse hair??) and the ram air flows thru the media and into the car. The window is rolled up to secure the track at the upper window felt areas. and there is an arm that is outside that secures the weight of the cooler into the outer lower window area. arm is adjustable. This thing at 40+ MPH will Freeze your brain- if you are sitting next to it. The lower the humidity outside - is best- although we lived in south central Texas -San Antonio area and it worked great . I sole the old car and still have this Theramadore cooler- painted to match my 56 chev PU. Still use it in the summers when Hot!! I even bought a new Decal for it on ebay. Manfacturers Decal.
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for the info. Never had seen anything like it and would not of known how to do with it if I had. Very Happy always nice to learn something new.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

There were some nice ones on ebay - within the last few weeks - yet get prime $$ for them-- the one now shown is an older model & I velieve is missing an arm??
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I've seen many over the years and always wondered if they worked as well as the house swamp coolers we've had over the years. They work on the "Evaporation cooling" principle. Never really wanted something that size hanging out one of my windows and was thinking if you could adapt it to a roof vent it would be cool....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Only bad thing about those - the water needs refilling when u r going highway speeds=yet u can open & close the cooling output of them- although at 90+F and 60+ MPH ull want to leave it open- just got to get the wifeee= to get used to having that Radiator Water Bag around her neck- so she can fill it 4 Ya!! affraid
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I was thinking you could use a 5 gal. reservoir and some kind of check-valve... scratch

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Never really wanted something that size hanging out one of my windows and was thinking if you could adapt it to a roof vent it would be cool....
    In Australia and South America it's not so unusual to find roof-mounted swamp-coolers. I have even seen some Volkswagen station-wagons fitted with them, altough they don't have a roof hatch from factory like many big rigs do.

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Photo5732

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Photo5730

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Photo5734

This one looks more like a residential swamp-cooler, and some have a built-in tank for the water while others have it mounted separately from the evaporative module.

VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Photo4316

That's how the air diffusers and the control panel look from the inside (took this picture inside a Brazilian military ambulance)
    VINTAGE THERMADOR EVAPORATIVE CAR WINDOW SWAMP COOLER Photo6893
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 am

Those window swamp coolers are prime Nostalga items - mine will actually freeze the side of your head @ highway speeds!!cheers  Best if used in a car to mount in a rear window or a slider window in a van. Yes they will cause you to use more gas on the trips =yet remember when these were prime items in the late 1040's we paid only 20 cents a gallon!! affraid lol! 
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:29 am

They are so rad. I would LOVE to get one some day, JUST for my A van of awesomness!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 pm