VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
kgdb
G-Man
Big W
Oldsmobubble
dix
chester42
DanTheVanMan
Casimier
jrinaman
13 posters

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Empty seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard

Post by jrinaman Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

finally made it to junkyard today. looking for nice seats and any chrome bumpers that kinda look like they belong there. not evan one chrome bumper in yard, nothing. measured several dozen seats, anything nice was too wide. found a set at 5:01 that "might" fit, but they all needed to get to bar before beer ran out. back tommorrow to measure '02 tiburon seats. a quick measure says they will fit, touching both doghouse and pass. door. i am sure most of you knew about the no fat chicks seat, never entered my mind until i was at junkyard. what is everyone else using? all the pics have non-stock seats and they fit, chester42's seat looks to more than enough room.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Empty Re: seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard

Post by Casimier Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 am

I have a pair of cloth grey seats that I had in my Econoline...
    I'm selling them for $75...what is the width of the space for your seats?
    here is a pic....Jim seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard 127seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard 128
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Empty Re: seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:48 am

jrinaman,
    Look for some Pontiac Fiero or Mazda Miata seats and you will be very happy!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 am

Pontiac Fiero seats will fit nicely. only 19 1/2" wide. No room for wide loads though.(HA HA) Get all the plastic trim on the side of seats that cover the tilt mechanizem. Mine will just clear doors when closed. Good luck finding some that don't need to be recovered. Mazda Miata seats are another good fit.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:55 am

saw a set of fiero seats yestarday, they will fit. i was holding out for black leather. they was grey cloth. going back today and looking again, will come home with something.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm

If you get a shot at a set of fiero seats. Don't pass on them. Their hard to come by and a set in good condition are worth their weight in gold to early van owners....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:43 pm

what junk yard are you going to.???
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:33 pm

saw 2 sets today, both cloth and in good shape, mazda miata seats at feezles for $100.00, feiro at wagners for $60.00. i really wanted black leather to match rest of interior so i got some for a tiburon for $75.00 and they are tight. 1/4" smaller would be perfect. touches dog house and door. the handle will need trimed or replaced with a thinner one. it barely touches door so very little trimming and it will be good. will post pics later tonight. still need bumpers, cant find anything. not evan looking for original, just something that looks right. i couldnt evan find junk ones to see what to look for. liked mk's advice for '50's chevy, their available but dont know if they fit.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 pm

what is on the front of the van now???. what color was the feiro'S
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 pm

feiro seats are grey cloth, good shape but not perfect, looked a little stained and faded. 10 miles away, i can go grab them if someone needs them. mazdas are rseats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_10eal nice, dark grey, kinda blue tint. have a pic of them.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 pm

this is what i hadseats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_11 this is what i got seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_12seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_13 this is passenger side squeezed inseats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_14
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:09 pm

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Seats_16 cant see from pic but the side handle hits door panal. just enough to put tension on door and make it hard to open.
    Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

Post by Oldsmobubble Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am

what about corvette seats? Early style '68-'76
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:34 pm

not sure those are easy to find, or cheap. i think the early gm lowbacks would look good, '65 gto, '66 chevelle. dont know if they fit. what i have works (barely) and was affordable (cheap) now for some bumpers. guess i am getting old, didnt relize they switched to plastic that long ago! thought i would go to junkyard, find something right width and '60's look and walk out with a pair for $50.00. i couldnt evan find junk ones to measure. pickups and vans are too wide.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

would you consider shortening those truck bumpers. I have seen that done, and it might be a bit of work depending on the bumper. But it gives you another option if you saw something you really liked but was a bit long. Use 2 front bumpers then that way you may not have to contend with an indent for the licence plate....just a thought. As for seats I am going to use the full interior out of a venture van. Seats seam to fit OK and seat belts are there to, no leather though.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm

i want chrome, so shortening would involve rechrome. but have considered doing that on some painted bumpers as a last resort. plenty of aftermarket stuff but need measurements, i am posative something fits close, but what? i am considering '62-64 chevy nova, early camaro or mustang, '64-64 chevelle, '50's pickups. if anyone owns any of these, can you measure them? suprisingly, some of these are under a hundred bucks brand new.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:49 am

You are looking for bumpers from some high dollar cars, sounds like you'll have to rechrome. I would call bumper boyz for a price for the stock ones. I got mine from them 8 yrs ago and they still look great
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Bumper Boyz want about $275 each plus shipping. They have a core charge also. So best to use your old ones and have them rechromed. They will straighten your old ones for a small charge. The back of mine that they did left a lot to be desired, ended up painting them as the guy said they don't chrome the backs. figure that one out.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm

bumper boyz responded today, $290.00 ea. with core or $350.00 outright. plus shipping. the 'wrong' bumpers are available for half that, but if they dont fit or dont look right, why bother.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Some parts make the van and bumpers are one of them. Did you ask them if they will be in your area this summer??? They do travel around the states at big swap meets and car shows. That would save you $120
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

$880.00 delivered. have to think about that a while. however, i did find 2 bumpers today from another vehicle for $30.00 ea. and that is what i originally set out to find.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 pm

jrinaman wrote:i want chrome, so shortening would involve rechrome. but have considered doing that on some painted bumpers as a last resort. plenty of aftermarket stuff but need measurements, i am posative something fits close, but what? i am considering '62-64 chevy nova, early camaro or mustang, '64-64 chevelle, '50's pickups. if anyone owns any of these, can you measure them? suprisingly, some of these are under a hundred bucks brand new.

Look for a 69 camaro rear bumper, you'd be surprised how nice it can fit. If I can find my picture I will post it.

kgdb
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Here you go, in this pic it is just propped in place but will give you a good idea of how it looks. You can get these bumpers aftermarket as well and they are very affordable.

kgdb

seats a bumpers, no luck at junkyard Bumper11
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:39 pm

i like it! what i got today was 2 fair to good bumpers, no rust but not much shine. one is rear of '62 nova, kinda tight at bottom but doesnt touch. other one, who knows what its from. its a perfect fit and is a '60's bumper, however, looks nothing like original. these bumpers will only be on a short time, needed something that looked like it belonged for classic plates. everyone here knows theyre wrong, but they'll pass for my plates. as g-man said, they make the van so i am still looking, just not in a hurry anymore.
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 am

my 2cents i would check around your state for a re-crome guy that can do your bumpers. beleve me guys like are in every state redoing old cars and trucks. look in other states neare you bumper boyz are not the only ones out there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:44 am