VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
m1dadio
DanTheVanMan
BILLS66
EconoCarl
blackace
G-Man
panelmanrd
whopman
12 posters

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!!

whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Empty Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!!

Post by whopman Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 am

So today I start gathering more parts for the motor build. Couldn't figure out the right plugs for the cylinder head. So had to make a trip back home to verify the casting # to get the right plugs. I drive back to the O'Reilly's to pick up the plugs. While standing in line WITH MY VINATGE-VANS T-Shirt on an elderly gentleman approaches me and asks me "do you have an old van? " Yes sir I have 2 a 1966 and a 1965 Chevy . He turns up his hearing aid and asks me " would you be interested in owning another ? " ..Sir what kinda van do you have? I am expecting his answer to be a 1976-1980 eras van. His reply " I have a 1967 Chevrolet window van in my back yard. Now at this point I am trying to keep my cool ( poker face needed whopman ! ) sir where do you live I would like to see it. He jots down his number and say " call me in a few minutes I will be at the house. "...Minutes turn to hours for me.( don't want to break that poker face be calm whopman be calm )... I finish getting the correct spark plugs and make the call. 3 minutes from the Auto store and I am there. Pull up and my mind is thinking rusted away junk why bother???....I am an addict ! I need help ! Stop!! what are you doing? Is there a drug for van ADDICTION ? So we talk for a few minutes in the front yard....(man am I jonesing to see the van)
    Finally he opens the gate! (poker face whopman poker face! try to keep your cool)
    Here are the photos..Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0028Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0029[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15131473/175]Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0030[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15131473/176]Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0031[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15131473/177]Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0032[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15131473/178]Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0033[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15131473/179]Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Img_0034
    Whats it worth???? No rust through that I could see!
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Empty Re: Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!!

Post by panelmanrd Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:43 am

does it run, body looks good no rust that I could see,
    I have seen ones in this shape that have no motor or trans
    fetch 1500.00. ask him what he wants and go from there.
    I just got one from western kansas that has some rust and
    it`s fair share of dents, ran and drove, minus brakes,
    I paid 550.00
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Empty Re: Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!!

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am

Try to get it for cheap, offer $300. It does look very solid

Poker face (tell you love these old vans, but they are not really worth that much) then point out the bad stuff only. The guy I'm guessing just wants it out of the yard
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am

Why doesn't this stuff every happen to me?? Crying or Very sad

Hope you can get it for a very good price. Keep us informed
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 pm

offered him 500 he said 1000 talked him down to 750 ..he said it ran when he parked it 4 years ago. Straight six with a v8 doghouse...i can't pass it by..don't know what I would do with it...just hate to see it sitting there not getting any TLC...shouldn't take to much to get it road worthy..No rust through and straight!
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Nice buy.... and all from a great looking T-shirt... need to see if the orders go up now.. Very Happy
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Another fine example of being in the right place at the right time and wearing the right t-shirt!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 pm

still a deal @ $750
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 pm

blackace I haven't picked it up yet...still working out the space ....if I buy it then NO parts for the new motor for a while.....decisions decisions
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm

OK guys whopman has it bad. hehehehehe Bill
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 pm

nice buy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7901
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Congrat's Whopman!!! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Man that what I'm looking for. A 2nd gen 90" window van with no rust out. To bad it wasn't closer to me.

Like they all say: that van found Wopman!

M1D
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Ok guys went back out today to try and talk myself out of buying the van...DIDN'T WORK...the more I looked it over the better it got. All the original pieces are still intact. The air deflector is still in place ..the original air cleaner is even there...Could not find a spot that had any cancer rust through at all...the clutch pedal worked smooth....shifted in and out of gear with no slop..brake pedal went straight to the floor (kinda figured that was the case ) don't know what it will take to get it running...didn't try to turn it over...Just can't pass this one by...DANG....should bring it home on Tuesday... The speedo show 22 k miles he said it was the original miles....the worst part is the roof but it is just surface rust the drip rails are still full of the sealer..

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 am

Great stuff! Can't wait to see more pics and hope you can get it running quickly too!
    Larry in East China Mi.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 am

Kinda had a similar story about my A-100 pick-up. My brother had an A-100 window van while he lived in Seattle Wa. He was in a 7-11 one morning for a coffee. An over the road truck driver from Spokane was returning to his truck. He complimented my brother on his clean van. They talked and the fellow said he had an A-100 pick up. My brother said that I was looking for one. The fellow gave my brother his name and phone numbers. It took me 5 years to get him to finally sell it to me! This was BEFORE disposable cameras!! He was always gonna send some pics but never did. Finally disposable cameras come on the scene! It still took 6 months to get it returned to me!! Ok, I've got pics, want to buy it and now we negotiate a price! Finally after FIVE years, I send him out the money and plan to pick it up in the spring. I just took delivery on our new (1994) Dodge short window-van, 500 miles on it and off we go to Spokane with a trailer in tow. He calls me and tells me there's bad news and good news! Bad news is he's leaving to go on the road, good news is the truck is waiting for me and the neighbors know I'm coming! The truck was actually nicer than the pics showed! I've never met Tom face to face but we talk on the phone from time to time. I've sent pics of my work and even sent him a die cast of it painted the same color as he had it painted! He still tells me about how pissed a lot of people in his town were when they saw the truck on a trailer with Mi. plates on it! Seems he musta promised it to a ton of folks out there! Anyway just my happy truck story!
    Larry in East China Mi.
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 am

ok its driving me crazy....I don't need another project! If anyone is intersted in this gem let me know. I can shoot more pics to you..Someone save this one PLEASE! Like I have said it is in great shape shouldn't take much to get it running and stopping. Oh and now he wants $ 850....he had time to think about it as well...Its worth it just in the body work savings alone.
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 am

Reason # 1 to wear your VIntage-Van T-Shirt!!!!!! Pill-b10
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Why do you have to be all the way in Georgia, brother? lol
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm

When I get really old,will I need Van-agra?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

I wear one of my van club shirts everyday. Gets me discounts all the time. I wear my VV shirt too but around here all of the old timers know my club.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Van -Agra ?? Yup just to get in & out of the Van- Im now looking into hand controls & a wheel chair lift!!, and a blond & a Red Head , just to sit in my lap & give me some directions!!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 pm

the blonde and redhead sound like good ideas.
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Post by score602 Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:18 am

i need a shirt although where i live there arent many earlys hiding in people backyards....love the way you described it..i wouldnt have been able to wait hours tho!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:00 pm