VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
DanTheVanMan
texasjohn
6 posters

Need Neg or Pos info:

texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Need Neg or Pos info: Empty Need Neg or Pos info:

Post by texasjohn Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:31 pm

How do i move a topic/thread or can i get it moved from old forum to new forum, about to start working on a van that i haven't touched since new forum started. Would like to have the old posts along with the new posts of the build...Can it be done chebby?

Thread from "Old Forums" re-posted by TexasJohn's request. Transcribed by DanTheVanMan on: March 14th 2011.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Need Neg or Pos info:

Original Author Message:
    Need Neg or Pos info: Texasj10
    texasjohn
    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:21 pm

does any one know anything about this van. im leaving at 3am to go look and or purchase, save me from going on the 500 mile trip or tell me its worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John 8thdaycycles.com

Need Neg or Pos info: Vanish10
    Vanish
    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:03 pm

John, I Don't know a Thing about this Van !!!! I have seen the listing Before !!!! but that's about it !!!! I would Really Look over the Custom Body work on it !!!!! and make sure that They haven't covered up a lot of Rust on it !!!! I kind like to buy a Van that's not finished Just for that reason....... I hope it all works out for you there !!!!!!!!!!!!!_________________,,,,,Vanish,,,,, Success is the ability to go from one Failure to another with No Loss of Enthusiasm..... in Anza, CA

texasjohn
    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 pm

iam affraid theres going to be something wrong w/ it. but after talking with the guy this van has been like this since the 70's. so i guess will find out in a few hours.......wish me luck post the outcome tommorow night or monday morn, it may taake us 12 hours get there and back with the weather ...

Need Neg or Pos info: Savage10
    savage
    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:55 am

Would be a pain getting it on trailer as low as it is(roll pan) Good Luck & safe trip.

Need Neg or Pos info: G-man10
    G-Man
    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:57 am

It's a hard call on this one. From the picture it look great , but the price seems too cheap. Hopefully it's been store inside and chances for a good body will be better. There will be some bondo for sure ( alot of body mods ) but bondo is not a bad thing if done right.

texasjohn
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:20 am

Well after waking up @ 2am and leaving in a 78 ford 4x4 w/ who knows how many miles and a borrowed trailer (tilt bed, need one of these) on an unknown journey, and going through one heck of a snow storm while the trailer brakes decided to lock up at 3:30 am, then missing a cow by 10 feet we finnally made it to our destenation at 7:45 am. At first glance the van look pretty cool, had 1 flat but holds air long enough to load it. The tires are in new condition and the wheels look like they will clean up very well. We put air in the tire and pushed it out of the hole it was in. There was no major dents and the paint looked pretty dang good for being so old. The right side fender flare had been hit slightly and a scratch near the accent window. The body flares and and roll pan are all steel and not fiberglass. Not really digging the front end look but we'll see what happens w/ that. Time to look inside..... Shaved door handels. The only wat to get in was through the pass side wing window and pull a coathanger going through the door panel, open that door the crawl over and open the drivers door w/ stock style handel. Then to open the side doors you have to crawl over the motor, between the seats and open from the inside. Everything was there, or at least 85-90% of it other than motor /tranny and the brakes wont pump up. So I Bought it, took about an hour to load it, do the paperwork and smoke a cig. Stopped for breakfast (Steak and eggs and a bite of buyers remorse) then top off both tanks with fuel and start heading back. About half way home the side rear door descides t catch a breath of fresh air a swings open in the wind. No damage resulted thanks to the door strap.....what luck !!!!!!. made it back home and unloaded in just under 12 hours. Hers all the pics that my junky cell phone could get. More to come. So.... What motor should i run ??????

G-Man
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 am

Looks like a steal to me. Love those tail lights.

G-Man
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:33 am

Do have another question is it a Ford Econoline or a Ford Thames???

savage
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 am

Nice, Looks like a Great deal. Did the owner say what kind of motor & trans they had in it?? So you kind of know what kind of mods they did to doghouse & motor, trans mounts?? Not sure but I "Think" 64 only came with 6 cyl stock(not a Ford guy)?? Good Luck with your new Custom Van

Need Neg or Pos info: Hotbla10
    Hotblazer
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 am

All the Econolines that came from that period had anything from a 144 to a 170. You could put a 240 or 300 in line 6 in it. They came with 3 on the tree. Later they came with a C4 automatic. Unless its been changed there should be a Ford 9" rear end in it. Good Luck with it. _________________Mel, an original 2%er. Life on Earth Is An Alien Video Game Founder and President of Sunshine Vans in Calgary, Alberta--1973 to 81.

texasjohn
    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:55 pm

Well the vin is E14TH491835....SO WHAT IS IT EXACTALLY? I was thinking of finding a late model mustang or something with an EFI powered V6 and dropping it in . I know some about efi's working on the new harley's and i think i can handel it. that way itwould be good on gas and still have a small amount of power without weighting it down to much. Just a thought....comments? I have more pice, still from a crappy phone thought.

G-Man
    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 am

Still think you got a deal. Now you have do what Don is doing to the blue no door and dig into it and find the good & bad things. Man that doghouse is HUGE.

texasjohn
    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 pm

Just pushed it into the shop, my buddies want me to drop my 300 6 in it and see how it rides. then figure out what to do with it. im eating some mexican food now then im going to put a batt. in it to see if the electrical works. should i strip it or put a motor in it and see how it runs and drives ????????????????????????

Need Neg or Pos info: Leadfo10
    LEADFOOT
    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm

put a motor in it! great score

texasjohn
    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:50 am

First of all, Nice photo of the storage van on the front page. Thanks storage van. Put a batt in the 64. The headlights ame on and the highbeams worked to. Taillights work, but couldn't see the brake lights by my self. No interior light but the dash lights came on, a little dim and dusty. Then i found a button and it set off an old ahooga horn hidden behind the grill, BONUS, and then i found a P.A. speaker hidden in there to. So did the 64 come with a heater and where should it be??? See ya later. Oh yea, bought a 78 e150 van today since all the other vans are not running right now. Gotta have something that runs beside my bikes.

savage
    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:37 am

I think it was a option in 64,and I belive it was on floor in front of dog house ,under dash. Have you figured out where those vent over the Caddy grill go???

texasjohn
    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 am

the vents stop after the body, just for looks.....the yellow jackets made a home out of them......so i guess they have a function.

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread from)
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Need Neg or Pos info: Empty Re: Need Neg or Pos info:

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am

John,
    Hope this works for you.... Waaaaay to much work!!! Rolling Eyes

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Need Neg or Pos info: Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 pm

u r da man.......thank you thank you thank you.....

OK.................
    IVE HAD THIS VAN FOR SOME TIME NOW. NOW IM GOING TO START WORKING ON IT. Agian !!!!!!
    Is everyone up to speed?
    see full story at
    http://www.8thdaycycles.com/shopvan

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:37 am

The 'vent' on the front is a Buick air cleaner.
    Need Neg or Pos info: Original-67-buick-gs-400-star-wars-air-cleaner-w-nut_280617334437

I'd approach it like any other project. Figure out what you have, get it running and stopping, change what needs changing, fix the bad stuff and work toward your vision of what it should be.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 am

i thought it was of a merccuser boat intake or something, but either way its gonna dissapear. Along with the cad grill.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 am

got all the years of collectables from around this van and am about ready to pull it out and get started. Hope to have it on the slab on monday. Weather permitting.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:36 am

John, you sure have a lot of projects going at once!!!
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 am

6-9-11... got the van on the trailer and headed to George Frank's upholstry for a ground up rebuild. So ready for this.
    Need Neg or Pos info: 6-9-11.16002257_std
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 pm

quick update. got a little done on stripping the rest of interior out. been busy with other peoples bikes to get to my own stuff but slowlly making progress. who want to come help for a week......
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:58 am

george and i have been brainstorming on ideas and even went and dug out a 30's car front end to consider molding on to front end....fat fendered van????? who nows....we will see. George has been working on the 67 e so we should be getting hard and heavy on this one real soon. Still accepting visitors to come work on it....hehehehe.
    Need Neg or Pos info: 64_cus10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:16 am

[i]Just for my 2 cents =leave it alone =looks great!!Do something with the inside that makes it =YOU!!
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 pm

i hate the front end
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:06 am

getting moving on this project. Heres a shot of the fenders we were considering grafting on....not shot down but put it on hold while considering other ideas. Gonna get the motor in and see how it sits then go from there. But 1st i gotta get the rest of the interior out.
    Need Neg or Pos info: 9-19-110
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:56 am

10-0-11 got the doghouse out today. man that thing was in there. Theres alot of work to do here. Notice the angle iron welded to the floor....yaaay. Heres todays before and after pics
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-110
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-111
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:28 am

10-18-11....got all the interior out except some carpet for the knees while we are in there....and some parts off outside.
    Grill is out
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-112[[url=https://servimg.com/view/12557612/41][img]Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-113/url]
    Bumpers off
    Interiors out
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-114
    with visor
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-115
    without visor
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-9-116
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:14 am

I agree. 86 the nose. Its down right FUGLY.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 am

Yes I now agree with that - never saw the nose -yet i do loke all else. Whats your thinking on the nose mods? Origiona; /

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am

Yes, certainly needs a nose job... Cool
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:01 pm

I have those same Fiero buckets... speakers in the headrest... I can't wait to get them done!
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:57 am

found this radiator support.....hmmmm
    Need Neg or Pos info: Image111
    i think it may be to big....
    Need Neg or Pos info: 10-25-10
    it did look better in person than it does on here
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 am

did a little more to this van today....not much, but we are negotiating for a fuel injected late modle 302 and tranny with computer, wiring harness, gauge cluster and etc... to put into this. More to come
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:37 am

John,
    Thinking if you just removed the lights and rad. frame and filled & wiped that whole front-end you'd have a nice clean slate to work from. Just a thought... A FI-302 sounds very nice! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Need Neg or Pos info: Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 pm

still working on this van but I noticed a lot of posts for old magizines. If any one see's the magazine layout of this van (was told it was in a mag, don't know for sure) I would love to have it. Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:43 am