VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

tubing out?

moparhead340
    moparhead340

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-12-01

tubing out? Empty tubing out?

Post by moparhead340 Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:45 pm

k guys ive seen several of you tub out your vans. the sheet metal is not my concern, my concern is how do you adjust your rear end to get the tires under the wheel wells? cuz you have the leaf springs right there on the back side of the drum? so how do you do it? my 50s i just put under it stick out about 5 inches, and id like to get them all under. plz show me how you did this!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

tubing out? Empty Re: tubing out?

Post by G-Man Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:08 pm

back spacing on the rims
    moparhead340
    moparhead340

Post by moparhead340 Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm

you can only do a little back spacing before you hit the springs. and its not enough to get the tire under. maybe an inch at the most when back spacing.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I moved the springs
    moparhead340
    moparhead340

Post by moparhead340 Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

where did you end up attaching them?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:41 pm

In the Mopar world, there is a mini tub, which is extending the wheelwell inward to the frame rail and moving the springs inward so they are even with the frame rail. I think the van is already this way (mine is not handy to check).
    After that, guys end up doing a rear subframe or 'back halfing' the car.
    This was commonly done on pro street and drag cars.
    http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu

On a van, you will probably end up with a square or rectangle tube from rocker to rocker, tied into the frame rails (unibody) toware the front. From there, you weld more tubing toward the rear, narrower than the original rails. Add another tube across the back, tying into the rear pan. Then cut out the wheelwells and floor inward to the new rails, cutting out the original rails.
    Then you fabricate new suspension, either leafs as before, ladder bars, 3 link or 4 link. If it's any but the leafs, you also have to fabricate spring or coil over shock mounts. On leafs, you will need new shock mounts.
    Once this is all set with the wheelbase where you want it, you need to grab the wheels and tires you plan on running and set them into place. Then you can measure the width of the axle needed to determine how much to narrow it. This may have to be done while the suspension is built. Don't forget the brakes!
    Then the wheelwells have to be built and installed, and the fenderwell may need to be stretched.

Don't forget ride height and suspension travel in all this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:02 am