VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Fuel sending unit question

Walker
    Walker

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Fuel sending unit question Empty Fuel sending unit question

Post by Walker Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I just installed a fuel sending unit, got the one from ebay for 50. Looks nice and does work but I have just under 1/4 tank of fuel and it registers 3/4. Better than nothing I guess. I adjusted it as good as I could, pretty much to the limit and it still reads high. The original connector is gone so I put a eye on the wire and connected it with the nut, does the original connector make a difference? I know it was a push on. The guage seems to be working, when I disconnect the wire it goes off so I know the wire is not grounded somewhere.

What I was going to to is get some type of a resistor and put it in line, just find one that gets it down to 1/4 and see if when I fill it it shows full. I have had the guage apart and do not see a way to calibrate it besides bending something but if that is what should be done.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Fuel sending unit question Empty Re: Fuel sending unit question

Post by Digz Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm

You could try clipping on a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame, Dodge uses a funky little clip that bridges a rubber hose connection at the suction line to the main feul line. Maybe you already have this ,but if it was gone already you may not have noticed it ?? something to try anyway.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 pm

If your ground clip is missing you can use a hose clamp to clamp a wire onto the metal sending unit neck and then ground it to the frame.

Check this link and read the section on "reference voltage" so you can do some ohm testing on the sending unit.
    link to all par

When i did my fuel system I had a ghost in the machine where I couldnt get my new sending unit (purchased from ebay) to work. Turns out the sending unit is about 5 gallons off, it reads empty with 5 gallons in it and will come out of the filler neck if you fill it much past "full". I just refill the tank every time I hit 1/4 tank on the gauge.

I sent one of my spare gauges to D&M where they ohm tested it to make sure where it read on the gauge with a certain amount of ohms. They also bypassed the internal limiter on that particular gauge so I'll have to use an external limiter if I want to use it.

also to test your gauge if you want (but its probably the sending unit)
    you can use two AA batteries to test
    your gauges and see if they work.
    Two flashlight batteries placed end to end (3 volts) moves a good
    gauge up to about halfway. Three batteries push it to about 100
    percent. The terminals on the back of the gas gauge are marked "A,"
    "S," and "I." Test it with the "I" and "S" terminals.
    Walker
    Walker

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Post by Walker Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:37 pm

It was the gauge, picked a cheap one up from orielys and it did the trick.

Mine still had the original ground clip but I did add another wire for ground, the clip wasn't the best.

I did take the gauge apart and found a fried wire. spliced it together but it read high as I said before. I am guessing that has something to do with it being bad. I know my temp gauge is bad also, from what I read if the fuel gauge goes the temp will not read, it also reads high but without a good fuel gauge the temp gauge is useless.

Any way I have a design for a new cluster but no money now, maybe in a couple of weeks, wife will say months, I will buy all new gauges for it.

Kinda sucks though seeing the gas gauge go down so fast, 318 goes through it pretty good. But its nice to have a working gauge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:02 am