VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Digz
DanTheVanMan
Twinpilot001
BILLS66
Nightmoves
Bear
G-Man
Van Halen
12 posters

Lets give it a shot 60 degrees today..

Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Lets give it a shot 60 degrees today.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets give it a shot 60 degrees today..

Post by Van Halen Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Crap.... I may be in trouble,clear coat may have been the monkey. Pressure on the gun is wrong--base coat to much junk=I have become the orange peel master....May need to get bailed out on this one.....
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Lets give it a shot 60 degrees today.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets give it a shot 60 degrees today..

Post by Digz Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:58 pm

What are ya using for a gun VH? I messed up and had to wetsand and hit it with a final wet coat because of the wrong pressure on gun, I started with a gravity feed ( pressure to low), finished with a siphon gun I was used to,, left it to rough or went on to dry however ya say it.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm gravity feed and pressure too low with 1/4 hose. So I'm stuck do I buy another gallon of clear and gun--spray in my driveway+bugs and dog hair or sand the peel and send it to the booth??$??
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah tough call,, But if it was me Id do a test wetsand say on a rocker panel or something abit out of the way and see if you can get it to lay down ?? crank up the pressure. somebody told me those grav guns need somewhere near 60lbs ?? I not sure about that . wetsanding it down isnt that tough if ya can get a volunteer or two. JM2C also remember we are our own worse critics.
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:45 pm

V H, as long as you have a good cover with the clear , you should be able to wet sand the orange peal out and buff if out very nicely. We see all the imperfections on our projects un like other people who only see it for a few minuets. Give it time to set good and go at a small area and you will be surprised how it comes out !!
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 pm

chesters rt you should be able to sand and buff. clear coat is like a maggnet to all dirt and dust.worse trying to do it out side.me my self i,m a single stage paint guy hardner and reducer.hit it flash it burie it last coat i use to be good paint that way been a long time but i will shoot my vans.
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Post by Van Halen Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah I redid a panel today and I think I can save it myself..but I have a mountain to sand may take a week...one step forward two steps back!!
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 pm

VH, thats half the fun with these projects. You may be able to use a dual action sander with 600 grit to get the worst of it out, but go very slowly soas not to go too deep.
    Good luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am