VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

one more for the run

one more for the run Empty one more for the run

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 am

i know this is hard to explain, therefore it is difficult to understand
    im putting new wire on the engine compartment of my van
    and found something that i dont know if its the correct way
    there is one cable that comes out from the ignition switch that is pink, then turns into red with a green stripe, i followed it and it goes all the way to the engine,
    where im confused is that it splits, or someone made it split???.
    one end goes to the solenoid that is mounted on the dog house, and the other end goes to the coil that is mounted on the engine, is this the correct way to put it?
    i definetely need some pictures to make a better explanation of my question, but for now this is what i got.
    thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

one more for the run Empty Re: one more for the run

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:08 am

Where on that relay does it go,,,,,does it go to the big terminal with the cable from the battery on it---if it does it is a power wire to the ignition switch. If it goes to the small terminals on the relay,,,,,one is to energize the relay to crank the engine. If the relay has 2 small terminals on it, the one closest to the cable to the starter is the boost voltage for the coil,,,,,,that wire goes to the Positive side of the coil,,,,,,
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:08 pm

It sounds to me like you are describing the Resistance wire that goes from the ignition switch to the coil. These are usually pink....

Basically, your coil is designed to work at around 6 volts, and the reistive wire is spliced in to knock down the 12v supply. Its all to do with putting less load on the points, and is known as ballasted ignition.

There is also an output from the starter solenoid that only goes live whilst cranking. This is connected to the same terminal on the coil via a small length of wire, and is designed to provide a 12v supply to the coil whilst trying to start the engine. This is purely as an aid to give better starting. It sounds like you have the correct setup....

Regards
    Sy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:26 pm