VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+17
jrinaman
EconoUSAparts
slowflapper
BILLS66
dix
EconoCarl
sasktrini
Scotts_A100
Lyrad
richie61
G-Man
wylee
southern man
m1dadio
fmc56
DanTheVanMan
Digz
21 posters

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Empty Gettin' started on the Orange Rat

Post by Digz Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm still kind of in the vague notion of an idea stage but with alot of the other guys working on them it gave me a kick to get rolling. Using steel studs as laterals, fairly cheap, super light and pretty tough, also no sawdust...... yet.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat 4_stud10
    I just bedlinered the areas where I figured moisture may be a factor ( the spots on the panels were a stoopid idea about making the panel a little thicker) and I am not insulating. I dont figure on camping in it or toting people around. Also going to try to keep with my , Nothing permanent, philosophy.
    On another note. Has anyone ever seen a van with the inside ceiling made flat ?? I'm kinda thinking it would look horrible but it crossed my mind. scratch
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Empty Re: Gettin' started on the Orange Rat

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Joe, I did see a 2nd Gen once back in the 70's. I looked ok, but not good. And it really steals the head space so if your planning on get in and out of the back it will be a real pain in the neck... Literally.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Bob_ge10
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Bob_ge11
    Here's a flat headliner in a 65 Econoline. I ran 4 1" X2" pine boards the length of the truck and attached 1/8 plywood panels that were upholsterered to them. The steel peices would give you more headroom, wasn't an issue though. I had to put a seam due to the length of the van, 11' but made a fabric covered molding to hide it. I could have put the plywood up first then padded it with the design and covered in place which would have eliminated the seams but doing it alone would have been difficult.
    Fred
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Thank you for the pics. That definately gives me a direction I think I can go to make the ceiling much easier. The steel is very easy to work with, nothing more than a good set of shears , pliers and a hammer and a box of band-aids. I will see what lengths I can get , I started out with 12' pieces here to have enough to make some short cuts. I only ordered enough for the sides so far, will see what it takes to go full length now. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out a way to keep the spare tire in its original spot. have a plan but thats next on the list.
    Man you do nice work !
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rear_r10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Cab_ri10
    Putting a spacer and bolt in the bottom to help hold it plumb
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Insert10
    Made a clip to keep it solid , it anchors to the existing tire support and rotates into place.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Homema10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Spare_10
    I dont know how common it is , but I scored some 1/8" ply type paneling today from a place that sells mobile home and RV supplies, It's 8' 7-1/2" long, will reach all the way to the front roof X-member from the back. Working on wiring and about ready to start some templates.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 pm

It's hard to see but there is a 12v power outlet there and the switch will be for a rear LED dome light. Also put a power tap towards the front. Plan is to have them exsposed thru the panel.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rear_p10
    After my knees were already toast, a braincell kicked in,
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Knees_10
    Got the rear Blue LED accents working.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Blue_l10
    Added rewiring the rear portion of the chasis loom to the list, just not enough slack in the wires for me, Should have done it already but I wanted to drive it ,,lol. So more wiring before anything else.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

lookin good!

M1D
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Got the rear tail and brake turn lights rewired, got the front white LEDs wired and tested and found some fan fold styrofoam to hack out a couple patterns with.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Leds_h10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Lft_re10
    wires hangin everywhere right now.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rear_p11

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

While I don't think I will do all of the aluminum supports like you have (looks like it will work great for you!) it does give me some ideas for a couple of problem areas in mine. Thanks for showing these pics!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Thats what it is all about is ideas, I'm not saying this is the way to do anything ,, just what Im trying for what I want to do, This is the first time for me using these steel studs, I have done a couple vans in the past but it has been using furring strips and panels with and without cloth type fabric. I'm learning as I go on this, It's one reason it takes me so long to get anything done.
    I'm also open to any input or direction and tips. My plans change on a daily basis ! LOL
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Finally been making some sawdust. Using this 1/4" styrofoam for the wierd patterns, works pretty good easy to add or trim away.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Templa10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Lft_rr10
    This is one of the main reasons Im using the extra side supports, trying these clips to make the panels snap on.Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Clip10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Top_cl10
    These are just backer panels so the fit isnt supposed to be tight at this point.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Big_pa10
    I'm held up to just cutting stuff out for now ,, The clips are ordered and about a week and a half out ,, I can get little bags , but I want a couple boxes of them at least.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rt_rr_10
    Wheel well panels are next.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 am

great work....................................
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:47 am

Love that paneling Joe. goes great with the orange!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 am

Its all getting covered with vynil in the end.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:34 am

Digz wrote:Its all getting covered with vynil in the end.

What color you going with?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 am

Orange and an off white of somekind, floor is going to be simple indoor outdoor carpet in a gray that will pull the seats into it without having to recover them. I went and visited one of my customers who does upholstery and got another redder shade of orange figured out to use( saw it on some boat seats they had done last summer) think it will fit the bill, that and choices in that color seem limited anyway. Fred gave me some tips on what to look for ,like UV resistant and such. I have a plan Dan,, I hope I can make it all come together!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 am

I'm with ya Joe. I have 3-5 plans at any given time and flip-flop back and forth between them. Often forgetting which van I planned on putting things in... Just wish the weather would let up! Errrr.....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Gaining... I dropped the 2 small panels next to the seats off at the upholsterers today ,but sounds like it might be a 2 week turn around on them ,, they got busy since my last visit.. and thats good for them! Getting those done first to make sure it will work out the way I want. In the meantime I can work on getting the rest of the panels ready.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rtrr_210

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Thru_t10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rear_d10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Cab_ro10
    How not to drill a hole thru your roof
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat How_no10
    Just got the clips today, so I can keep moving on setting them up.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Still moving on it,, Have had some success and some failure. The small door panels ,,piece of cake,, at least good enough for me ..
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Side_d10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Dp_sid10

The cab roof panel ,,,another story, I am very happy with the set up for the install and fit using push in buttons, But I ran into issues with my adhesive pulling and the fact the panel curves in towards the vynil side and creates a bit of slack. This is vynil over 1/4" foam so I was sort of questioning my idea to start with.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rp_dri10
    The flash makes it look worse than it is but Im not happy with it. Fred I lost your number somewhere in this mess on my desk !!
    Im going to continue with the vertical panels, but may have to rethink the roof panels a bit. Im learning as I go.. study scratch
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Joe did you glue the form to the vinyl first
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:25 pm

No I didnt, I was working on the dining room table and it was just easier at the time to do it 1 layer at a time. Also the adhesive seems to mess with the vynil a little so I didnt overkill the application at that point. Hoping to get some tips from a pro on this panel, Its pretty wide and with that arch in it, it creates the potential to slack up, I have 1 other idea but I'll wait a bit, it's not going anywhere ,,lol
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Digz wrote:Still moving on it,, Have had some success and some failure. The small door panels ,,piece of cake,, at least good enough for me ..
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Side_d10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Dp_sid10

The cab roof panel ,,,another story, I am very happy with the set up for the install and fit using push in buttons, But I ran into issues with my adhesive pulling and the fact the panel curves in towards the vynil side and creates a bit of slack. This is vynil over 1/4" foam so I was sort of questioning my idea to start with.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Rp_dri10
    The flash makes it look worse than it is but Im not happy with it. Fred I lost your number somewhere in this mess on my desk !!
    Im going to continue with the vertical panels, but may have to rethink the roof panels a bit. Im learning as I go.. study scratch
    When you cover something that is curved like that you should try to curve it to the same shape on the bench, even a bit more wouldn't hurt.
    Fred
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Fred was kind enough to steer me in the right direction,, Great Guy,, I'll get back to this part after I get the rest caught up and will be trying some different materials and techniques !
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:39 am

that is realy coming out great, thanks for posting for us..................
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks Wylee, Theres plenty of room for improvement but Im gaining on it.
    Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Panels10

Gettin' started on the Orange Rat Spare_11
    Im going to see about ordering some different foam for the roof panels tomorrow, right now Im using a polyfoam I think , its more of a padding and its not behaving like I would like, It works okay on the small stuff but I have my doubts on the large panels and it definately is not roof material the way Im going about it, see how it holds up in the long run !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:31 pm