VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Unbelievable Van Story

Unbelievable Van Story Empty Unbelievable Van Story

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:47 am

So i'm at my the guy's house who does the upholstery for the guys in my car club and I mention how I wanted to do a paint job on a thunderbird and he tells me he has a 1964 econoline van that's been sitting in his backyard for the last 30 years that was painted the same way. I tell him my dad (who past away when I was 21) had a cool old econoline with a custom paint job in 1970 that my mom made him sell because she wouldn't be caught dead driving the thing. I went home without looking at it and tried to find a picture of my dads van. My mom said she hated that van and only kept one picture of it. I brought the pic back to the guys house and low and behold, it was the same van. Not the same year or kind, but the actual van he owned. My mom said the wood paneling inside was put in there by my dad. Needless to say, I had to buy it from him. The guy isn't a sucker and he knows how much sentimental value is worth so when he stood firm on a $1000, I had no choice but to pay it. Towed it home, changed the battery, oil, plugs, ran gas to the carb and it started on the second crank. Haven't driven it yet, but had to throw some supremes on it so it looked good sitting there.
    Unbelievable Van Story Now_an10
    I do have a question for anyone reading this. I've looked everywhere for replacments panels in the spot I need and i've come up with absolutely nothing. It looks like I'm gonna need a panel off a donor/parts van. Here's a pic of the panel I need.
    Unbelievable Van Story Fender10
    The wheel well is fine, it's just the outter sheet metal that's ripped away in places. Way beyond my abilities to fabricate. If anyone has any ideas on how to get one of these, I'd really appreciate the feedback. This is an amazing website and i'm sure there's someone out there that can help. Thanks for letting me tell the story.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Unbelievable Van Story Empty Re: Unbelievable Van Story

Post by Casimier Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 am

I'm sure you'll find a piece in California..
    Well, at least west of the Mississippi...I'll be cuttin up my donor here in Jersey soon...just not yet.
    Jim
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Try Tim at Econoparts in Kentucky. I bet he has the dog leg you need on aparts van. He is on this forum. His number is 859-512-0105.

T.W. Day
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:09 am

99% sure I have one, will look tomorrow(oopzzzzz,today) ,,, its lousy California tin though???
    LOL
    vic

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 am

that is a really neat happening! are you thinking of returning it to the way it is in the photo?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Awesome Story.
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 am

That is absolutely an awesome story. I'm sure your dad is smiling ear to ear! Love it, restore it, and take Mom for a ride! Best of luck!
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Here's some contact info for the Northern California Van Council. I'm sure they can help you find a local club and with getting your van back on the road.

PRESIDENT
    Lynn Harmonson (Zephyr Van & Truck Association) 1651 Burkhart Avenue San Leandro, CA 94579 (510) 352-2606 whtlitg@comcast.net

Post by Guest Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Ain't it incredible how things like that work out? Congratulations!
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm

how freakin awesome. that would be so neat to years later be able to get your hands on what your father had his hands on. thats so cool.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for all the cool responses! Yup, i'm doing it up the way it was. I think the same thing when i'm loosening screws i'm guessing my dad tightened, Army. Gonna check that link out, PolarBear. And Tim already cut my dogleg off the parts econo for me. Great resource!
    Mike
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Right on Mike- Have FUN!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:00 am