VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use?

Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use? Empty Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

Alright, I finally got around to doing the clutch in my van (65 240). My clutch kit came with two pilot bearings, one is a oil impregnated sintered bushing, the other is a needle roller bearing. Now I have to choose. I'm inclined to put the sintered one in since the enviroment is so dry and dusty, might be pretty hard on a need roller bearing. Plus, the sintered style is what I removed from the crankshaft. Which do you think is best?

I had super bad clutch shudder if you recall, the clutch didn't slip though. It's apart now, and the friction disc is down past the rivets, the flywheel and pressure plate are badly grooved and glazed, and the throw out bearing barely turned for part of its rotation. The rear main seal didn't appear to be leaking, but I replaced it anyway. The gearbox front and rear seals did appear to leak, replaced them too. The flywheel is being machined as I type.

Doing my kingpins and swaybar bushings too. Getting sh!t DONE!

Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use? Empty Re: Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I put the sintered one in.

The difference between the new clutch and old one is night and day. The van is such a pleasure to drive now!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use? Empty Re: Clutch kit came with two pilot bearings... which to use?

Post by Magic Bus Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:25 pm

dakeddie wrote:I put the sintered one in.

The difference between the new clutch and old one is night and day. The van is such a pleasure to drive now!

Sorry nobody got back to you but sometimes with these old things you just gotta scratch your noggin and do what seems best... I hear you on the pleasure to drive...I had just recently replaced the clutch on my Magic Bus and its like night and day!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:51 pm