VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Main wiring harness to engine compartment

MASouders

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-10-17

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Empty Main wiring harness to engine compartment

Post by MASouders Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 am

Does anyone have pics of where the main harness runs into the dog house. I am currently rewiring with an Ez kit and dont really know which side harness comes into and how. I also would like to fnd out from anyone that has used EZ on their a108, issues like turn signals and light switch. Thanks
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Empty Re: Main wiring harness to engine compartment

Post by itruns Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 am

Welcome to the site.

I'll take a look at my parts van on Monday.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Empty Re: Main wiring harness to engine compartment

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:31 am

All of this is for a '66 V8 van, yours may vary. Also remember that a wiring diagram does not show harness routing or approximate wire lengths, just the circuits and components. They try to have front stuff at one end and rear stuff at the other, but it's all laid out so you can follow circuits, not how it's laid out in the vehicle.
    The engine harness is not a separate removable sub harness except at the rear of the engine inside the doghouse.
    You have the big chunk that is the underdash area, then all the chassis and engine wiring goes down the nose area, across the bottom of the heater plenum and through the floor at about the middle (big grommet).
    It then follows under the floor, goes through the front doghouse leg on the driver's side and back to the starter solenoid. There is also a branch that goes over to the horn(s) before going through the doghouse. After going to the solenoid, there is a 4-pin connector for the engine near the back of the doghouse and engine. These go to the Temp sending unit, Oil pressure switch, hot side of the coil and the light green wire for the alt. The other 2 wires for the alt. have a separate 2-wire connector. They go back through the harness to the voltage regulator under the dash.

You also have the headlight harnesses that got to each front corner and also have gromets to the outside.
    The rear sub harness has a connector that is at the bottom of the driver's A piller.
    The rear sub harness goes up inside the A pillar and along the roof rail. There is a branch that goes to the dome light. The harness goes back along the roof, down the back corner and through gas filler area. It connects to the tail light, the gas tank sending unit, the bumper plate lights and the right tail light.

Main wiring harness to engine compartment 66_awire
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 am

I have a '65.

The harness comes out from under the dash and goes through the floor behind the heater motor. Then it comes under the drivers floorboard (along the framerail) and up on the drivers side of the doghouse in the back. The start solenoid, ballast resistor etc are mounted on the rear of the doghouse on the drivers side.

The harness splits there with part going to the rear lights and part coming across to the passenger side of the doghouse and up onto the engine intake for the temp sensor, alternator etc.

I had to replace mine inside the engine compartment because it was dry rotted. I just used the right sized wire. butt splices and heat shrink.

You can see some of it in these pics:

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Distrib-20101002-00053

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Silver%20City-20100919-00045

Main wiring harness to engine compartment IMG00431-20100314-1036
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Main wiring harness to engine compartment Empty Main wiring harness

Post by BADBADGER Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Im interested to hear if anyone has experience, good or bad , with the EZ wiring harness that was talked about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:17 am