VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Replacing the motor...

65Econo

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-10-04

Replacing the motor... Empty Replacing the motor...

Post by 65Econo Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:45 am

I have a 144 in my 65 I think. It runs pretty rough and im positive it needs a full rebuild. So my thought was to just buy a bigger rebuilt motor. I know this has been discussed quite a bit and ive searched but its not all making sense.

So , what is the biggest motor I can put in the '65 with out modifying the doghouse? The bigger and stronger the better. Also, which tranny will bolt right up? Gimme so good motor/tranny combos with the least amount of modification. Thanks!

65Econo

Replacing the motor... Empty Re: Replacing the motor...

Post by 65Econo Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 am

From what im reading, it sounds like i might be better off going with an inline 200? Is that the biggest direct swap I can do? Im not that concerned about having a huge motor, just want something that can do the lang haul.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am

First off,a 65 never came with a 144. Are you positive your vans a 65? Is there a bell housing hump in the floor at rear of doghouse?
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:59 am

Im not positive. Plate on the door is E14TH583737. No hump in the floor.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 am

I thought the T was for the 170. I'm interested in this as well, like what year 200's are the best fit to the 3 speed and if all the donut mount three speeds are the same? Ive read so much stuff but I'm still confused. For the 61-64's
    Mike
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:44 pm

No hump means its a 61-64 model which should have the floor heater also. A 144,170, and 200 all interchange. Anything bigger, be it a 6 or 8 cylinder, requires lots of changes. Send the whole VIN plate info and I ll have it decoded for you. All 3 speeds arent the same. The 61 and 62 models were non synchronized. The later ones thru 64 are bolt in upgrades.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:07 pm

So if I get a 200 and upgrade to either a 63 or 64 synchronized trans it would be the best easy trans and motor upgrade? What year 200's are the best to look for? I know some have a different bell-housing and some with a low or high mount starter but I'm still confused which one works. Also is there a motor crossmember upgrade thats bolt on. Mine are in bad shape, repairable but bad shape. Sorry to hijack 65econo but I bet we have the same questions.
    JUMPMASTER
    JUMPMASTER

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2010-09-21

Post by JUMPMASTER Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Abeblinkin,

I got a 67 chevy van with a inline 6/230 and 3 speed trany. I went thru the same you are going thru researching to upgrade but I have decided to rebuild the stock engine and trany getting the most HP combination I can out of it. I have also seen 2 carb intakes and headers for my engine. By pulling the engine and trany myself and taking them to get rebuild/supped-up I can get it done for about 1,300.00 and do not have a garage full of donor cars or extra engines/parts. All I need is to be able to go on long trips without having AAA as my best pal Wink

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do.

JM

Post by Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm

I have a fair running 170 in my pickup now but I would like to put in the 200 because it seems like there is more speed parts available for them and it seems like guys are pulling good running 200's to do v8 conversions so they are cheap.
    I just can't figure out what year to look for or bronco,mustang or falcon they came in. I would be stoked with your 230 too. Definitely thinking ahead on this project but any advice would be a great help.

Mike/Denver/62 econopickup
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I forget the years to use for the 200. Vic or Jim Bulger,members here, would know since they both have done it. I ve always stuck with the bigger motors myself but may do a 200 in a future project. If your engine mount arms are trashed,I may have a good set in my stash. They are getting hard to find not all rotted out. You coud upgrade to a full cross member but its more work since you have to relocate the flanges on the frame and add 2 more.
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm

my full door panel reads:

Warranty Number: E14TH583737

W.B.: 090

Color: M

Model: E140

Body: 289

Trans: A

Axle: 03

Max. G.V.W. : 3600

Cert. Net HP : 85

RPM: 3800

DSO : 25

Can someone decode that?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:20 am

Here ya go. With no floor hump,Im guessing the VIN plate has been swapped out since its really a 65 model. Is the heater on the floor or under the dash?
    E14= Econoline regular van
    T= 170 six
    H= Lorain, Ohio assembly plant
    583737= August, '64 build date ('65 year)
    090= wheelbase
    M= Wimbledon white
    E140=van 3600 lb. GVW
    2= standard cab in blue patterned vinyl
    89= van body code
    A= 3 speed manual
    03=3.50:1 ratio, 2300 lb. capacity, 7.25" rear
    3600= GVW
    85= HP
    3800=RPMs
    25= Richmond District Sales Office

65Econo

Post by 65Econo Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks!

Heater is under the dash.

Why would someone swap out the plate?

How do I tell if its really the 170 in there?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 am

They swap the plate to title it as another vehicle for which they didnt have a title. Is there a hole under the mat where a floor heater used to be,now patched over? Post a picture of the plate between steering column and dash and that will help too. You didnt by any chance buy the van from site member "Crazy" in Portsmoutn,Ohio did you?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:13 pm

I am using a 200 out of a 76 Mustang. I think any 200 will work. The one I have supports the small or large bell housing.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Here are some differences that will tell you for sure what yr you have. IF you have TWO holes in the transmission frame mount, it can ONLY be a 64, period!!!
    However it CAN be a 64 with one hole as there seem to have been a few. If it has a triangle steering column dash bracket it could be a 61 to 64. The steering box angle is the same from 61-->64, and changes in 65-->67. In regards to the heater hole in the floor board, IF it has an open hole there, or the factory plug off plate for that hole, and a donut mount, is is definitely an early, HOWEVER there were some earlies with no factory plate to block off that hole if no heater but rather no hole at all, plugged or open.
    The 144 is okay for grand pa, but it has no power, and usually because of that it will have 4:00 gears to make up for it. Your BEST option for power and gas mileage would be a 200. Get the later year ones with the BIG intake log on the cylinder head,, it makes no sense to use the smaller intake log and choke it. Seriously consider that and a GOOD set of headers, adjustable rockers, Dura spark dizzy, 3:50 gears, and you will be happy as hell. You can put an early donut tail onto a 65-->67 small six synchro tranny. SERIOUSLY consider also, the easy bolt in of a real rear axle like the 9"er. You can swap out gears in an hour for $75 bucks!! and never break it.
    vic
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 am

I need specifics! what year 9" axles will work? Would this one?

Will it bolt right in with no mods?

http://treasure.craigslist.org/pts/1940177575.html
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 am

BY FAR the way too easy one is to use ours!!! It came in 63 to 67's. The 63 and the 64 were in the H/D models. In ANY 65 TO 67 that had a 240 in it, it came as STANDARD. In the 63 nine inch rear axle, it had a single cable for the emergency brakes, and in 64 to 67 it had two, with different matching cable mounts and matching e brake hdw on corresponding trucks. If you have a 61 with the cheesy rear end, you can take the e brake cables out of it, and install them in a 64 to 67 axle, its a no brainer and easier than monkeying with the hdw and mounts. The F 250 axle you posted is too wide, etc, I have watched and listened for years to SO MANY who go through so much extra effort to convert all kinds of combos its funny at times?? like stepping over a $1 dollar bill to pick up a nickel....LMFAO,,, by the time they go through all the work, and then end up having to buy special offset wheels, bite the bullet,,, just put one of ours in,, its over with!!!!!!!!! I sell them for $350. Out here, basically, there are no more of ours coming out in the yds unless its a stray or odd. Old iron is pretty much gone!!!!! You can take any Ford 28 spline third member with its gear set, and pop it in and out no sweat. A GENII axle has an offset so you cant use it, however the third member will exchange, and they for the most part had 3:25's in them. Ranchero's had a 28 spline thirds also, countless models out there. That will pop right into the Econoline 9"er.
    vic
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Will a 200 motor from a 68 falcon or mustang bolt right in? It's the same motor right?
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

Guess im going with a 200 from a 68 mustang. Just scored one on ebay for $150. Sure it needs a rebuild though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:22 pm