VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Exhaust Fumes

Exhaust Fumes Empty Exhaust Fumes

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm just pondering a problem and want some imput.

On my 64 Econoline, the doghouse was sealed to the floor, all the holes were filled, or caulked before putting the nuts and bolts in. I've installed new weather stripping, on the top of the base and on the bottom side of the top cover. The latch pulls the cover down so that it squeezes the rubber together nicely. The exhaust system is tight and has no leaks.

If I drive with the windows closed, or even with the front vent open, I have no noticable exhaust fumes. However if I open a window or the roof vent the cab smells of exhaust. Before I installed the latch on the doghouse I know that at any speed over about 35 the cover tries to come open. That means there is alot of air and pressure trapped in the dog house when it's closed and the van is traveling at highway speeds. If I open a window it forms a vacuum and lets the free exhaust into the cab thru any tiny cracks or opennings in the doghouse.

I'm thinking about trying to rig up a smoker (like bee keepers use) put it under the van, and put a fan in the cab window pulling air out of the van and see if I can locate any air leaks that way. Any suggestions?

Any of you early Ford guys running your Econo's without the air handler between the grill and doghouse? I feel like removing that panel would force less air into the dog house, thus not pressurizing it so the exhaust fumes aren't pushed into the cab. Would the stock fan move enough air thru the radiator to keep it cool?

How are you guys dealing with exhaust fumes?

Thanks in advance

Rob
    The Porta Party Van
    Waynesboro GA USA
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Exhaust Fumes Empty Re: Exhaust Fumes

Post by sasktrini Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Hey Rob...

I just got a 64 this year too, and I fear that removing the belly pan would contribute to overheating. It's possible that the exhaust pipe gasket isn't doing it's job, or there's too much slack in the exhaust hangars. In working on my engine this summer, I seem to recall that as pressure built up with RPMs, I would see exhaust fumes escaping from the manifold... I made sure I torqued down the manifold bolts, but never really checked the bolts and the collector...

I would see how bad it is in neutral... see if changes in RPM cause leaks to show... this would be worse with the engine under load. Maybe a new muffler is in order to reduce backpressure?

If you're running an electric fan with thermal switch, do you notice a difference when the fan is off?

Hope this helps... sounds like you've buttoned up the doghouse pretty good already, and I doubt the belly pan is the answer. If you're not talking about the belly pan, maybe you're talking about something that has been stripped from my van before I got it.... and I have no clue what I'm talking about... day I've had makes it a definite possibility! Good luck.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:59 pm

the exhaust system is brand new from and including the manifold, exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe. No leaks. The fumes are blow-by, but do not enter the interior of the van until it is traveling at some speed and with the window open. It is the belly pan I'm thinking about trying removal of. With cooler weather approaching it shouldn't be a problem for a few months. The van doesn't over heat even in 100 degree weather when its puttering around town, I just don't know if the stock fan will move enough air at highway speeds.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm

I think the exhaust smell is coming from the tailpipe and is being sucked into the cab. Does the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe smell bad? Is it running rich? Where does the exhaust pipe come out? I would attach a temporary maybe flexible pipe onto the the exhaust pipe and run it out to a different spot on the van and see if the smell goes away. My exhaust goes out under the rear bumper now. But if you have excessive blow by coming out of the valve cover,,,,,an engine rebuild is the only cure......

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:57 am

the exhaust system exits straight out the back, near the tag, runs next to the fuel tank.

There is minimal blowby, the valve seals dried up while the van was sitting for years, but I can go 3000 miles and may have to add a quart of oil, so there isn't alot of smoke or oil burn.

You've given me another idea though, I do need to check the seals on the back doors, I do get water in when I wash it, not so much in the rain, but I will re-seal the back doors.

Anyother ideas out there?

Thanks Guys!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

When you are going down the road the cab becomes a low pressure area and all the air around the van gets sucked in. So you need to check all the seals to see where the leaks are. Try opening different windows and driving to see what seems to cause the smell and what makes it go away.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Years ago I had one of those Dodge mini vans and exhaust comming in from the back was a problem.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:29 am

Tape some plastic up to cover entire inside rear door area. Maybe that will eliminate the fumes some and your problem could be the rear door seals need replaced. Every early van I've owned has had some fumes enter from the rear doors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:32 pm