VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
southern man
fmc56
6 posters

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU Empty Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Does any one have any info or pics of a pu with a sunroof. I want to do this but is the slight curve in the roof going to cause a problem for the install?
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU Empty Re: Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU

Post by fmc56 Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Curve is no problem. I used a 17 X 35 sunroof in my 61 pickup.
    Fred

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU Empty Re: Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU

Post by Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 pm

How long have you had it and have you had any issues with leaks? Also do you have any pics?
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 pm

My concern on my '64 is two-fold. (I assume your roof profile is the same.)

The first is that the perfect spot for the sunroof means cutting through one of the crossribs. Some say this isn't a problem, but cutting into one of the structural supports doesn't seem like a great idea to me. It's not like these things are super stiff to begin with. Installing it forward enough to miss the crossrib looks funny to me. I've seen older van pics and I can tell that's what the owner did, but it looks out of place, at least to my eye.

The second concern is the ridge/valley effect of the roof profile. The top of the sunroof lip (front and back only) is only going to compress tightly on the high sections, but not sure how you could get a great seal on the lower "valleys", if you follow my crude manner of description. I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't thought of it. I'd hate to have problems with the thing leaking.

I put a sunroof in my A100 30 years ago and it was a piece of cake. But neither of these issues were present on the Dodge.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 pm

southern man, my grimstone has exactly that. I plan to make a sheet metal pocket to fit the contour of the sunroof, then trim the roof opening to take the new pocket for welding. My plan is to make the pocket sit at the height of the peaks of the roof rather than the valley so there is less chance for leakage. just then, I have to create a canal around the sunroof to allow drainage from the middle of the roof without flooding the sunroof... this will be a good project for me, and I will document it.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 pm

The pickup roof is different than the van. Pickups dont have the valleys you refer to so its simple to install. The van roof rib can easily be moved. You could even move it forward and add another behind the sunroof for extra rigidity.
    I ve got a van with a sunroof installed by previous owner. The water sits in the valleys since the sunroof base blocks water drainage. No way around that unless you put drains in each valley into an inner drain pan under the roof itself to catch the water,then run drain lines off the pan down the walls and thru the floor to drain. Thats what a lot of modern cars have(the drain pan with lines) but they dont get a full runoff of water like the way I described would. The pan on modern cars is there just in case it leaks. I took one off a Plymouth Sundance once,it had the pan and 4 drain lines. The glass was removeable too.
    Short of that, I would suggest welding in little pieces of metal in each valley that sloped upward and leveled off with the top of each ridge. That would give you a flat place for a good seal but the valley would still hold water when the van isnt moving.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 am

DONT DO IT........
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:50 pm

That precaution is what I'm talking about Tim... the pooing of water in the valley that's blocked by the sunroof... never thought about routing drain lines in to it though...

don't do what TJ?
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:28 pm

dont cut a hole in the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im trying to fix my 61 that someone did that to.......open a window or put a vintage air in it........DONT DO IT......SAVE THE ECONOLINES, SAVE THE EARLYS...
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm with ya TJ, but my roof is already hacked. I might consider it too if my roof was pooched. But if it was nice and straight and smooth, I wouldn't touch it.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:32 pm

I am going for it I will try to take pics of it and post up the info as i do it. Besides i have already shaved the door handels gas cap hole and steak bead holes so there is no going back to original now.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 am

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU 62873e9d
    Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU E54e6097. Just got don't with the sunroof and it is working out great I blasted the seals with a hose for a while and not a drop. I got the sunroof from http://sunroofdoctor.com/. I got the SFC model 1735 I cut the hole out with a cut out wheel and did the final shaping and smoothing with a disk sander with 80 grit. I also removed the center rail the was in the cab. The sun roof has also stiffened up the roof so it does not flip back and forth messing up the paint.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am

Nice... I forgot with the pickup that your roof wouldn't have ribbed contours like the vans do. Congrats!

Post by Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 am

It does have a slight curve to it, but so does the sunroof.

Last edited by freak07 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

I mean as opposed to this:

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU IMG_0226

Post by Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Looking for infor on sunroof install for my 61 PU 8f6d763f
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 am

texasjohn wrote:dont cut a hole in the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im trying to fix my 61 that someone did that to.......open a window or put a vintage air in it........DONT DO IT......SAVE THE ECONOLINES, SAVE THE EARLYS...

What he said. Don't do it. Whacking a hole in the roof is a good way to wreck any classic vehicle. You see so many that are butchered. Most of them leak. The ones that don't leak, soon will. All of them are ugly and look out of place. It is one of the quickest ways to reduce the value of your classic. Please don't cut vintage sheetmetal. No Evil or Very Mad Mad Sad

Had a sunroof from the previous owner in my old '66 sportvan. It always leaked and it looked like crap. I had to put duct tape to keep from getting water right on my head while driving. Hated it.

If I'm ever looking for a classic for sale, and I see a homemade sunroof, its a huge red flag. I've passed on several vintage vans that were ok otherwise but they had some ghetto 'custom' mods like a sunroof or roof vent or poorly done fender flares or molded in rear doors or some other hack job.

But hey, its your truck, get out the sawzall and butcher it! pale

Post by Guest Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:24 am

I used a install kit not some "home made" random sunroof from a junk yard. If someone thinks it is a good idea to cut the hole with a sawzall than thay should not do this. The edge of ths hole needs to be smooth so you need to use a cut off wheel or preferably an electric sheer and then go over it with a sander. I also already had holes in the roof from where the Air Force had a light bar on it. Besides if you are woried about the sunroof you would not be happy with the shaved door handels, gas cap, and steak bed holes.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:18 pm

The main reason most sun roofs leak is improper installation/fit. Most factory sunroofs DO NOT leak for a good reason; proper design for the vehicle its installed in. So many sunroofs are oversize and/or dont fit the contour of the roof. Thats just asking for it to leak. Like I stated earlier,a modern day factory type with the inner drain pan makes it almost impossible for it to leak if installed as intended. Any leakage woud go to the inner pan and out the drain lines. Most aftermarker ones dont have that feature. Take measurements and keep in mind the roof contour and lines. I can see where a small one would work nice on an Econo or even a bigger one turned sideways might work good. keep out of the roof lines.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I had one in my A100 30 years ago and it NEVER leaked. Neither did the vent in the back. Both were installed correctly, with rope putty under the flange and screwed down tight to the roof (external screws on the vent, inner flange on the sunroof drew the outer one down tight. I was prepared to run bead of caulk around the edge but it was never necessary.

Tim is right about the roof contours. Econo vans (not pick-ups) aren't good candidates because of the roof line.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:53 pm