VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
tazvan67
itruns
6 posters

440 big block swap

440 big block swap Empty 440 big block swap

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm looking to swap out my 360 for a 440 in my 66 A100 pickup. Does anyone know what modifications must be made? Motor mounts? Will a 440 fit in the stock hole? I know that 383's fit but I'm not sure about the deck height etc..of the 440? I would appreciate any advice before I start making plans.
    Thanks Question
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

440 big block swap Empty Re: 440 big block swap

Post by itruns Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:23 pm

I've had no experience with that, but from what I've heard, it's a very tight squeeze and you may be better off building a high performance small-block.

Nate and those guys should be able to steer you in the right direction as far as modifications, headers, etc.

Good Luck with your project.

- Larry

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 am

First find a big-block transmission and have the tailshaft swapped over from your current transmission. This way you can retain the stock mounting and proper driveshaft length. Assuming you have the 727. Oh, a B-van transmission mounting system can be adapted into an A-100 for extra support if you wish.

62-65 big-block B-body car engine mount brackets can be used with stock smallblock A-100 rubber insulators (Anchor p/n 2338). This will basically allow the big-block to drop right into place.

The 440 is wider than a 383 or 400. It's best to widen the hole in the floor on the drivers' side to allow for this. You will also need to extend the side panel of the engine box out to accomodate this. 2" or so should be plenty. Of course you will need to upgrade your radiator...that goes without saying. Smile

Since the dipstick is on the left hand side of the engine on a big-block, you may need to go with something custom or create some sort of access hole in the side cover so you can check your oil without being a contortionist.

That's the basics.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 am

Got it! Thanks guys!

440 big block swap Empty engine swap

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm

I've decided to go with a stroked 400 instead of the 440. I'm not in favor of cutting the floor if I don't have to. Should be around 450-460 cubes when finished. Still trying to decide on throttle body injection vs. carb. Engine is being built now. As soon as the weather turns here and the truck is put away, I'll start the conversion. I'm building a real torque monster of a motor. It won't be a top end motor, but will be really strong through the 1500 to 4500 rpm range. Should be able to pull a house off the foundation when I'm done. I've really enjoyed the 360 2 barrel, especially for fuel economy, but being a Mopar muscle nut with a big block and a hemi in the garage, I really want it to "get there now " when I step on it. I'm looking forward to the conversion and it's challenges in the coming months.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:14 pm

Checked out Mike Crangle's 440 at Taz's van show this weekend. He didn't modify the sides, but he has no room at all between the dog house panels and the engine. He said it was a lot of work getting it just soooo.

You might want to figure out a way to vent the heat off the top of the dog house. I believe there's a way you can do that with the pick-ups. You may also want to see if you can get some cooler air to the air intake.
    tazvan67
    tazvan67

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Post by tazvan67 Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:18 am

Mikes 440 is quits the Van!! He hit it a few times at my house & the only thing I can say is INSANE!!! Thanx for the show Mike.

Hope to see that A-100 Again!!

Thanx Again
    Taz!!
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Any pics of Mike Crangle's 440 van? Sounds cool, always like seeing big blocked A-100's.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Outside shot of Mike C's van - the Purple and Silver A108 behind the blue one.

https://2img.net/h/i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/TazVan67/TazFest200802.jpg

Also look at the Word attachment that Bob posted last night on the Yahoo Group.

I wish I had gotten some engine shots when I was there. Mike made a box in the back of the doghouse to mount his electrical stuff and increase the air flow. He mounted a common breather assembly in that opening that attaches to hoses from the two valve covers. There are some big headers and the standard long 727 transmission tailshaft with a crossmember underneath. Big Ebay Aluminum radiator.
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey itruns and Taz,

Glad everyone had a great time at Taz's place over the weekend, was there in '06 and thought Taz put on one helluva get together !!

Got a question, what type of seats did Mike have in the A100. I sold a set of seats to a guy that had an A100 with a big block and was wondering if Mike was the guy.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey All,
    This will be my second reply of the day. I don't know what I did but the first one is traveling at the speed of light but I don't know where it's going.
    Anyway I put the 440 in my 108 and the first thing that you have to do is not let you wife or girlfriend help you! Why you ask;? Because 90% don't know what "down a schoosh" or "over a smidgen means"!! Unless of course you want to be called Lefty then go ahead!
    I'll try to be as brief as I can
    1. Got drawings from Terry a the A100 group for the hangers but had to modify them somewhat but they put you in the ball park.
    2. Fabbed a crossmember to mount under the back of the trans. I didn't feel to "good" about hanging it from the top as it was before.
    3. The valve covers are up against the sides but don't cause any problem. The motor has to be mounted low enough to fit inside the doghouse before the sides "turn in" otherwise alot of modifications await you. Also buy doing it this way you don't have to cut the sides
    4. I don't know what type or brand of headers your going to use but mine are TTI's and if you use these a mini starter is needed. ( ya can't get around this..Trust me I tried)
    5. For the radiator ...pay attention here...make sure you hose connections are on the same side before you get a new one. I have one that came off of a different 440 that the bottom is on the otherside. your going to have to fab up a bottom hose because the oil filter is rite there. No big deal on that!!
    6. I came in with the motor thru the pass.side door. It worked better for me maybe not for you
    It's alot of work and time to do this but let me tell ya the first time you "stand on it" it will all be worth it........!!
    Mike

ps..Hey GP70..I am the guy that got the seat from you.( still don't know how I get all that in the back of my car) I'm not able to use them as it sits now ( to wide) but plan to modify to fit. Way to nice seats for me not to use!!!

itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:38 am

Hey Mike. Welcome to the site.

Are you going up to Lake Geneva next weekend (Oct 10-12)?

- Larry

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Ok gang! My 360 made it's last ride yesterday. I had to drive to Orchard Park outside of Buffalo where I had a custom Roll and Lock cover made for the A100. Now I can carry all of my car show stuff in the back and lock it up instead of loading and unloading it. Wait until you see the custom work done by Paul Capasso of Rollcover. We're talking diamond plated toolbox, matching diamond plate rails and the works. Over 40 hours of labor, grinding, buffing fitting and refitting. It came out absolutely beautiful. That was the final voyage of the 360 cu. motor. The truck is on the rack in the garage all ready for the 451 cu. inch stroker motor. Next week I'll start removing the transmission, exhaust, motor etc....for the swap. I plan on incorporating vintage air with the new motor. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but the end result should be worth it. I'm also thinking about installing a flaming river tilt steering set up at the same time. With cruise control of course! I'll keep you all posted as I progress! Wish me luck!
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Sounds awesome. Good luck (again).
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 am

Hey Mike, I can't wait to see the bed cover. Let us know how everything goes. You will have to bring it up to Milford Michigan for the Bakers rally in June. I bet everyone would love to see you and the truck there. Good luck with everything. Keep us posted. Mike K.
    terencejiminy
    terencejiminy

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by terencejiminy Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:25 pm

In case somebody wants to put one IN THE BACK I have the drawings for the subframe and hangers, originally from the 60's wheelstanders, but upgraded for a better drive, control and ride........ as in my Cricket. Cool
    Terry

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm

The A100 I'm restoring now is all original, after hearing all this I think I know what the next vehicle project is..please stop this is going to eat up all my $$$, Bam a 440, hang on!!!!!!!!!!

440 big block swap Empty just picked up a 67 A100 no window van... slant 6 engine swaps?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Howdy I posted on here before then dropped off the face of the planet... but heh just finishing up my 65 Econoline 351C-c6 conversion and about ready to start looking for a v8 to drop into my 67 A100 it has the slant six in it now just wondering what small blocks will go in there decent without modification to the doghouse? (On the ford we fabricated a whole new doghouse...) So I can start looking for a V8 to drop in... Right on.... I'm in Ogden, UT by the way....

Russ Jackson
    65 Econoline HD 351C c6
    67 Dodge A100
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Welcome back. That first step's a doozey lol.

You'll need a new motor to frame bracket on one side (I forget which) and linkage, etc. Best to find a donor van. If you're going with an automatic, the stubby tailshaft is very unique to the 'A's and is required if you have 90" wheel base.

273, 318, and 340 drop right in. The 360 needs a little motor mount mod to work. All small blocks will fit under the doghouse.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:17 pm

groovy... Yeah the van is an automatic, 90" wheel base was thinking about going with a 340... So is there a different crossmember for the slant six and the v8? Thanks! I'm looking forward to doin this... the Econoline was a nightmare...
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

It's not a cross member you have to swap. It's the bracket that your rubber insulator (engine mount) mounts to that is different for a v-8. There is a set on ebay that you can look at. But as someone else said it is best to have a "donor" van for the linkages, radiator (inletand outlet are opposite of the /6), engine mounts, etc. I got my donor for $300. bucks and had enough left overs to sell and cover the price and then some.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm

oh ok right on... I'll check out that set on Ebay... I ended up using aftermarket accelerator cable, bracket, kickdown linkage and an aluminum radiator for a 32 ford pickup and made a different support for it for the ford... Well looks like I know what engine to look for....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:57 pm