VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
EconoUSAparts
Kakster
donivan65
G-Man
savage
9 posters

"Almost" made it to 1st car show

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

"Almost" made it to 1st car show Empty "Almost" made it to 1st car show

Post by savage Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 am

Sad This weekend is the Muddy River Run here in the Fort. The only real kind of car ,truck show. Troy had asked if I was going to go, but really didn't have the $$ to spend . So he said he pay for my pre reg. We had both been working on our vans for over a month to get ready. I have been spending Many long nights in garage. Not done but a heck of alot better. So I take it out for a drive Fri afternoon ,I get to corner ,soon as I take off its starts coffing like its not getting any gas. Make it back to house.start checking everthing, don't Really find anything. Reset points,Change filters in line & carb,pull plugs& clean & regap. It was late and I "Think" I got it??? So load up all the stuff to go Sat AM. get 1 mile from home it starts doing it again(alot worse) Dies 6 times trying to go a block to turn around to get home. Spent all day Sat changing carb(striped out fuel fiter threads trying to stop leak Embarassed ) re checking everthing. Runs great till you Try to give it any gas,then it want to die. Got all new filters ,fuel pump,and Ing stuff. Not sure whats going on??? Anybody want to buy a 64 Nodoor???
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

"Almost" made it to 1st car show Empty Re: "Almost" made it to 1st car show

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:25 am

Did you change the dist. cap??? A hair line crack can do everything you are talking about. Don't let something like this get you down, you've worked to hard to give up now. It a really nice van.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:20 am

One thing could be is that a piece of rubber or dirt is floating around in the carb and it gets sucked down onto the main jet and cuts off the fuel then floats around and waits to get sucked down again. Spray some carb cleaner down the carb when it acts up and see if the engine runs better to check this. Also make sure the vacuum advance is hooked to the breaker plate correctly,,,,this would cause the engine timing to keep changing.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am

Sounds like what my 67 did to turn it from a driver to the van I need to restore. I had the hose between the fill pipe and the gas tank and the filter on the gas gage sending unit fall apart which sent debris throughout the fuel line and the carb. The result was a van that would be OK, and then start to sputter and die. Luckily I was able to get another driver, so I can work on the van at my leisure. Also could be what G-man says. Check both, but don't give up on your early.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Do you have another breaker plate and primary lead? Sometimes the wire that goes from the neg side of the coil to the points breaks because the breaker plate is always moving. Or the rivet on the breaker plate loses its ground,,,,,try another breaker plate and wire in the distributor,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Today I change diistributor, before I went out to check out Troys van ,and get T-shirt from run. Its still doing the same thing Sad I changed carb yesterday,but will try carb spray,& check out cap. All the Ing parts,cap,wires, plugs & fuel pump have less than 70 miles on them.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:16 pm

gas cap vented? try taking a spin with it off and see ?
    worth a shot...
    i've had caps say "vented" on em and fail or not be enough
    "vent"
    or possible sending unit screen clogged?
    sounds like a fuel supply problem
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Simple to check if you have access to a portable boat gas tank. Hook it to the fuel line where it comes off the tank. If it cures your problem,drop the tank and clean it and the sender sock or replace as needed. If not,hook it straight to the carb(my tank has a squeeze ball to pump up the pressure in it so you can get by the fuel pump) Of course you could also disconnect the line from the pump and see if it squirts a good gas supply. No boat tank??? Just drop a line from the fuel pump into a portable gas tank and see if that works. There are several ways to check out the fuel issue.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Update. I tryed with gas cap off ,same problem. Unhook gas tank and tryed off gas can ,same thing,no change. Put on new fuel pump,same problem ???? It purrs when it idles but as soon as you push on gas it wants to die???
    Kakster
    Kakster

Post by Kakster Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I imagine you did this, but are you certain of the set on timing? You aren't on the wrong side of top dead center??
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:41 am

Yes K I got it set a 4 BTDC. My Bro inlaw stoped by to take a listen he called his mechanic,and thats what he thought to. I also have checked compression and they were all the same(170) The plugs are kind of fouled,but if I lean it out it runs like crap. The thing I dont get it ran great till last week??? I had only got to drive it 68 mi before this happened???? (I had reset spedo when put in "newer" motor(out of a 68 Nova) Is there some internal problem I'm missing??? I think I checked everthing on the outside??? Hey Vanagain how much was that motor you got
    Kakster
    Kakster

Post by Kakster Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 am

Another long shot here, but check that there are no leaks in the intake manifold. A vacuum leak can cause erratic running. No gasket residue between the manifold and the carb? No cracks in the vacuum advance hose? The hose fitting for the vac advance is tight? Question
    I killed a piston in my old Ford van when I did not scrape clean the manifold of old gasket and I had a vacuum leak under the carb on a trip to Mammoth Mountain and the motor ran crummy all the way and got too hot. When I saw the residual gasket it seemed too small to matter but it did. Embarassed

Keep looking and you will eventually find the culprit, then we all will learn a valuable lesson.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am

So when you give it gas it dies? Did you spray carb cleaner down the carb to see if it gets any better? And you may not be at 4 degrees BTDC, those timing marks are rubber mounted and slip,,,,,turn the distributor until it idles the best and see if it gets better. Run a 12 volt wire right to the Pos side of the coil and try it. You are just trying to isolate the problem,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

What is the manifold vacuum reading at idle? there is always a chance that the plastic gear on the camshaft jumped a tooth. Also put a dwellmeter on the negative side of the coil,,,,,,see if you got 31-34 degrees of dwell and if it changes when it acts up. also check the upper bushing in the distributor, when they wear the points don't open on all cylinders. You ought to just slap a HEI unit in it and not worry about the whole ignition system problems.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Thank's for all the Ideas guys. I should of had this fixed Fri night and had my van at the show Sat. Don it seems to run worse when I sprayed the carb cleaner in it??, the motor seems to idle better at about 6 degrees BTDC. but still wants to die when you give it gas. The vac gage is reading 20(good on mine??) The dwell is at 31-32. I would like to put a HEI on my 250
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 pm

A bad condenser will act that way,,,,,did you try another complete breaker plate with the wire or another distributor in it,,,,,,or another coil? It sounds like you are not getting enough spark to rev up the engine,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:04 am

Don, I put a spare distributor in on Sun AM to try to make it to show,it had diff condenser in it & breacker plate & wire. It didn't make any diff. So switch it back. But I haven't tryed to switch coil. Will try that today. Thank's again for all your input
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:36 am

Also check the voltage at the Positive side of the coil. the ballast resistor wire or connection could be bad, It wont hurt to just put a jumper wire with 12 volts to see if the engine runs better. Also try different cap, rotor and coil wire.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 am

Switch coil, didn't start,so put old one back on still won't start. I'm getting voltage on + side of coil,and have continuity on - side to distrbutor. Ran great Mon,didn't do anything to it but change coil so far today??? I must be getting close(I can dream ,right??)
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:35 pm

Hey Tom, I had some similar problems, it was the resistor wire at the Plug in the doghouse. Everything looked ok on the outside, but the wire was burned down to 2 strands at the blade connector in the PLUG.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Take a test light, hook it to ground,,,,,test the negative side of the coil,,,,,,,the light should BLINK as you crank the engine,,,,,,this is the points opening and closing. Otherwise you got a problem,,,,,AND maybe all your parts are junk,,,,,And see what the Positive side of the coil voltage is while cranking,,,,,the starter should send 12 volts to it until it starts, then the ballast resistor should send 6 volts to it to keep it running.....
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:42 am

Well I took the test light and hooked it up like you said Don,and it is blinking. I'm getting 5.5 volts at + side of coil when I turn on key & 12 volts when I hit the starter. I'll get it to run, then I try again and it won't. Last time it was running it was still choking out when you give it gas.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Post by Kakster Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:29 am

Could it be flooding? Is there something causing too much gas to come out of the carb when you push the accelerator ( a missing jet or something)? Another long shot I sure is dumb for me to ask, but is the fireing order is right?
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am

Timing Chain? Just throwing stuff at the wall...
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:47 am

Thank's Guys there are no dumb reply at this point. I have put diff rebuilt carb on it. It has timing gears on a Chevy I 6. And now its getting weirder??? Got it started this AM shut it off to hook up timing light, now it won't even turn over. Acts like batt is dead, but got batt charger on it. It said it charged??? Guess the wiring is frying out Just what I wanted to do (again) this weekend work on my van. I was hoping to put more than 68 mi on it this summer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 pm