VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
dix
6 posters

alternator upgrade

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

alternator upgrade Empty alternator upgrade

Post by dix Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 pm

has anyone upgraded their alternator from a single field to dual field electronic type from the 70's and the voltage regulator aswell??? how much is involved???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

alternator upgrade Empty Re: alternator upgrade

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Well,,,,,,,, you need to start with a newer insulated field alternator,,,,,,

alternator upgrade Dodge_28
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

thats the simplest drawing i ever seen. just make sure your ignition wire to the regulator is on the center terminal and live only when the key is on and not live on accessory.
    although the voltmeter shows voltage it should not in this drawing because the key is not in the run position.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:50 pm

I guess the important part to get is the connector that goes on the regulator,,,,,that ballast resistor is part of the electronic ignition system, so it has nothing to do with the charging system. So the plan is,,,,,get a 2nd gen alternator and a voltage regulator,,,,,,,run a wire from the ignition switch to the center terminal of the regulator and to a field terminal on the alternator,,,,,then run another wire from the outer terminal on the regulator to the other field terminal , hook up the output wire and you are charging,,,,,,probably even at idle,,,,,,,,,
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 am

I binned my whole system including the regulator, and fitted a new alternator. Most new ones have built in regulators. Much simpler system, and far less things to go wrong. Then all you need is an alternator charging light of some kind to conect to and away you go.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 am

Just a little warning here; if you upgrade from a 35 amp alt (or less) in a 50 year-old wiring harness that is probably not as youthful as it once was, you had better make sure that everything that is in the circuit is upgraded as well.
    Wiring, connectors, amp gauge, fusible links, all of it.
    A 50 amp alt. and old stuff will let the smoke out!

Post by Guest Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:53 pm

single wire self exciting reg gm alts work great. charge cable right to batt nothing else to worry about.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm

And if your van does not have a fusible link on the main feed wire,,,,,sooner or later, you will be up in smoke,,,,,,,,And the dumbest part of a Chevy Van, has to be the 2 spade connectors on the back of the fuse box that feeds the electrical system,,,,,,,,,,

alternator upgrade Repai113
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 pm

donivan65 wrote:Well,,,,,,,, you need to start with a newer insulated field alternator,,,,,,

alternator upgrade Dodge_28

Don, what's up with the dual ballast resistor? Some Mopars had ignition modules that had an extra lead that went to a dual ballast resistor. I'm sooo confused...
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:26 pm

the dual ballast were mostly used with 5 pin ignition control boxes. if you change to electronic get the 4 pin box. easier to hook up. and not nessacary if your still running a points dizzy.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm

That ballast resistor has nothing to do with the charging system,,,,,,,I just grabbed a picture out of a 77 Dodge book that had the alternator and regulator in it,,,,,,,the rest of the picture is all about checking out the ignition system,,,,,,,And thats how the wiring of a 77 Dodge is,,,,,,I1 and I2 from the ignition switch,,,,,,,a dual ballast resistor,,,,,,,,about the only thing in common between the 2 systems is that the Run wire from the ignition switch is connected to the I wire on the regulator and also feeds the ballast resistor. And an Early van has NONE of what you see in the picture,,,,,,,

alternator upgrade Dodge_29

alternator upgrade Dodge_30

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:24 am