VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Webber?? anyone using? help out there?

wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Webber?? anyone  using?  help out there? Empty Webber?? anyone using? help out there?

Post by wdaguy Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:55 am

Having some issues with a 2 barrel weber 38DGES
    on my six 250 fouling plugs, idles iratic, fuel pressure?? maybe too much.. I had read many posts on how great these are..And when its running well it is sweet, but most of the time not quite dialed in. valves are adjusted HEi is working I replaced my first weber 34-32 ( flooded out all the time) to the 34-34 which same sized barrel but thought you guys may have also been using 2 barrels over the stck?? Suggestions what works the best ???Let me know Don t really want to go 4 barrel! Shocked
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Webber?? anyone  using?  help out there? Empty Re: Webber?? anyone using? help out there?

Post by SnarkyPoet Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 am

I bought a brand new Weber progressive carb last year to use on Skooby. (/6 225) Despite spending a ridiculous amount of time adjusting it and testing it on the machine, it always ran too rich. I finally gave up and switched to a Holley 2BBL instead. It runs great now.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Webber?? anyone  using?  help out there? Empty Re: Webber?? anyone using? help out there?

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 am

So do you feel any blow by coming out of the oil filler cap? how about if you spray some carb cleaner down the carb when it acts up to see if that makes it run better or worst. Maybe slowly pinch off the fuel line to restrict the flow and see if as the fuel level in the carb gets lower, it runs better until it dies from no fuel. Its just some tests to run to kind of dial in what is really going with your engine

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

ive had way to much experiance with webber progressives, our fuel pumps put out way too much fuel pressure, these carbs are touchy but when they are set up right its a great carb. most all progressives need only 3psi of pressure and that may be alittle high on some,please dont use the "dial type reg" its really more of a flow reg not a pressure reg. a real fuel regulator is a must. i use a holley low pressure adjustable 3 port reg, 1 port is for fuel into reg 1 is for reg to carb and 1 for a pressure gauge should only set you back about 50 bucks for the whole set up. the carbs are never jetted correctly out of the box so you will have to rejet the primary and some times the second. if you are running a hedder and have no intake heat it will never run right, these carbs must have intake heat. takes time and patience but to get them right but with the right set up it pays off with good mpg and the added power.
    have fun
    jeff
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Yeah i think i have way tooo much fuel. I will look into regulators..
    I new i came to the right place..thanks
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:31 am

Althought I suspect you have a number of things to coordinate to make your webber tight as bowtie said everything, a Webber like any carb won't run efficiently without the right jetting. If I know what jets you needed I'd tell you. However, I'd find the jetting used on other engines (any really) with similar valve diameters and displacements. If you get the right jets then you should be able to coordinate everything else. Good luck but once you get it right it should be right forever. Happy motoring.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

you might call langdons and see what they suggest, seems like alot of stovebolt guys are using them now.
    jeff
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 am

looks light a tiny hole in the manifold was the issue and tired valve springs also!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content