VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Van Exhaust

1966G10
    1966G10

Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Van Exhaust Empty Van Exhaust

Post by 1966G10 Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a 1966 Sportvan and was wonderin what a good exhaust system would be good for it. It has the orginal straight 6 and was'nt sure if i wanted to straight pipe it because it would sound crackly. Any ideas?? Types of mufflers that worked for anyone/

SECOND:
    Does anyone have any exhaust cut outs that they want to sell????

Van Exhaust Empty Re: Van Exhaust

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

i came off my manifold about 6inches and then Y'ed off with duals and smitthys glass packs ran em all the way out back with meggs tips. has a great sound, not loud or farty sounding. it just depends on what sound you like, i have a buddy with a 6 banger nova and we ran single back to a flow master 40 and tail pipes that sounded kinda tough. if you can find a steel pack muffler it would sound great too. how are you planning on running the pipes
    1966G10
    1966G10

Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by 1966G10 Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:53 pm

well right now i am trying to get some ideas to run the exhaust. There is nothin on mine now.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I have a single pipe on the drivers side with a baby turbo muffler. Sounds kinda throaty, not to loud. When I put the headers on I want to do a Y pipe and 2 baby turbo's, one for each side. Havent decided if I will side exit in front of, or behind the tire though.

Van Exhaust DSC02371

Post by Guest Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 pm

here are some pics of how we did my exhaust, sounds great man.
    Van Exhaust Th_Picture043

Van Exhaust Th_Picture053

Van Exhaust Th_Picture047

Van Exhaust Th_Picture097

Van Exhaust Th_Picture049

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:11 am

I have a 355 so this might not apply to you, but I got my engine and exhaust from my buddy's truck. I have headers that go to a 3" exhaust system that will immediately cross into an "X", after which I'm going to get a set of very quiet mufflers, (probably at the expense of a bit of horsepower), and put them out just behind the rear wheels, (Would have gone out in front of them, but I'm told the exhaust turns into acid on your rims if you do that.

I haven't done this yet but I will add pics when I'm done, hopefully in a couple weeks.

Heavy

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:16 pm

the x pipe is a great move, it improves torque and thats what our vans need. 3" exhaust is well.. lets just say opinions vary. if you go with a stock type muffler a gm truck type muffler is 3" and will flow ok, a 3 chamber flo-pro sounds great and wont have to much of the tin sound as a 2 chamber. ive found that the 3 chamber flo masters still have a strong tin sound if you are running a healthy bump stick. in our vans back pressure is good ( to a certian point ) torque is far more important than h.p. keep the updates coming brother we love pics man.
    jeff

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Here's the pic of the X from my buddy's truck. I have to modify it of course, but he sold me his little welder and he just bought a Lincoln 255 xt with a 300 amp spool gun. Its a monster that welds 3/4" all day.

Van Exhaust Img_0514

From what I read, the X member aids in cooling the exhaust so you can taper down at the end where the mufflers go because the gas has cooled and contracted, so it doesn't need as much diameter at the end. That could be wrong but it sounded like that's the idea in theory.

Heavy

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 pm

an x or h pipe is primarily for evening the exhaust pulse which creates better flow and makes for better breathing/scavaging of the exhaust.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:02 am

That too. Of course. An improvement over the "H" exhaust.

But they say it also cools the exhaust better for some reason. I'll add the link I read this in.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 am

Here's the link about the X crossover exhaust system:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust2.html

It explains the benefits of the X with respect to also having a quiet muffled exhaust system without having to sacrifice HP. It was informative.

Cheers,

Heavy
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm

I kind of like my turbo cherrybomb muffler I got from autozone for $15. I ran the exhuast out the back for another $35.....The van budget right now is a little low and there are more important things I could use any extra money for.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:15 pm

thats a great artical ive read it before good stuff! have you decided on mufflers yet?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I have no idea yet. I'm completely new at this. All I know is I'm going to be asking for a muffler solution that effectively quiets my engine down as much as possible.

You said back pressure increases torque, (to a point). I'm going to try to find that muffled point of diminishing returns, max my torque out, and minimize the head turning loud.

Any suggestions?

Heavy

Heavy

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:59 pm

i like flo pro mufflers they have a web site and i think you can click on the muffler and hear what it sounds like, on my 429 mercury they sound great i get some interior resonance from about 75-85 but other than that i love them. gibson has nice sounding long body mufflers but they must be on crack cause they want way to much $$$$$ for their stuff. walker dyno max are good too and ive used abunch of them. i ran a set of bb chevelle dyno max on my 56 and they sounded great and she was pushin some power man. just dont run those turbo mufflers in your pic you will hate those things.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Do you mean the mufflers in my pic with the rusty X cross member above? You know those mufflers? Turbo? So whats wrong with them. All I know about them is they are cheap.

Heavy

Van Exhaust Empty New Exhaust Idea

Post by Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:05 am

I have been reading up about "Cut Outs".

Have a look at this You Tube so you see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-t094ow-g

I really want to try to figure out how to do this. I don't want the electronic kind, as I hear that switch craps out. I want to mechanically connect via fab'ed linkage to my clutch pedal, (I have an automatic tranny now).

The thing I have to solve before I do this is to come up with a valve that opens and closes cleanly without a chance of sound or pressure leak. That is the real trick, and if I can't solve that, there's no point.

But can you imagine having working cut outs immediatly after the manifolds connected to your clutch pedal. If you ever got attitude from some punk at a red light, it would he hysterical.

Heavy
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Any more info on the switches going bad??? These are the one's I am thinking about putting on my pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180375546656&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 am