VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
panelmanrd
6 posters

64 rear axle

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

64 rear axle - Page 2 Empty Re: 64 rear axle

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:45 am

I knew there had to be more to you than just a set of brackets, Michel. You sure got a good handle on things. You're setting a good example for your son to follow. And the Old Lady thing sure is hard to get right.....
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

64 rear axle - Page 2 Empty Slots in rear gasket...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:26 am

I suspect those slots have a dual purpose. One, to keep the shaft tubes from loading up with oil AND two, to keep bits and pieces like broken teeth from getting lodged in the shaft. My ring teeth are broken yet I am not able to find any pieces. Will be interesting to see if they ended up in the axle tube or the prior owner just cleaned them out and kept running with broken teeth. Glad I haven't had a rear wheel lookup.

And related to stiff Posi, has any body tried a super lubricrant like synthetic gear lube or really thin synthetic to loosen up the posi? Of course, not adding any friction modifier might help too. Just curious because I would like to be able to take my flattie off road for camping and such and would love to have Posi.

Happy motoring, Mark

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:48 pm