VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Segways for Vets Program

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Segways for Vets Program Empty Segways for Vets Program

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I just got picked up under this program! I will be flying into San Antonio, Texas next Monday for training on a Segway all Tuesday and then the
    Presentation Ceremony on Wed. at the Alamo on Veterans Day Nov. 11th......

Segways for Vets Program Cardin10

PUBLIC IS WECOME
    The Alamo
    10:45 a.m.
    300 Alamo Plaza
    San Antonio, TX 78205
    Segways for Vets Program Sa_o10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wounded Warriors to Receive Segways
    Segs4Vets Marks Veterans Day at the Alamo
    Charity Helps Restore Mobility for Injured Veterans

San Antonio, Tx. November 11, 2008 – Segs4Vets will mark Veteran’s Day at the
    historic Alamo with a presentation of Segways, personal mobility devices, to 48
    wounded warriors who lost legs or sustained serious neurological injuries during
    combat.The ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
    ``Veteran’s Day is the time when Americans pause to remember the sacrifice of our
    military service members. This year Segs4Vets is honored to present Segways to our
    brave young warriors to help them become more independent,‘’ said Jerry Kerr, a
    founder of Segs4Vets. ``This is our way of saying thank you for your service and
    expressing our deep gratitude for their sacrifice.‘’
    Most of the recipients are receiving care at Brooke Army Medical Center. The
    recipients come from 20 different states, Puerto Rico and Micronesia. Fifteen of the
    recipients are Texans. Four of the recipients are women, two are double amputees and
    two of the women are from Texas.
    “Many of us who are disabled are alive today because of the sacrifices made by
    disabled American veterans from World War II, Korea and Vietnam,” said Kerr, a
    quadriplegic and Segway user. Kerr became disabled after a diving accident ten years
    ago. “These veterans changed the world for people with disabilities. Disabled vets
    are responsible not only for advances in rehabilitation technology and medicine, but
    also for transforming the perceptions of society towards those with disabilities.”
    Although the Segway is not certified as a medical device by the Food and Drug
    Administration, it has found a loyal following among many disabled people who suffer
    from neurological diseases or who lost limbs or suffered spinal cord injuries. The
    device dramatically improves personal mobility without the need of a wheelchair.
    The 45 San Antonio recipients will receive final training in the use of the Segway by
    Segs4Vets volunteers at an all day session Monday in the Gallery room of the San
    Antonio Convention Center Monday, Nov. 10. The morning session begins at 8:30; the
    afternoon session at 1:30 p.m.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Segways for Vets Program Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Segways for Vets Program Empty Re: Segways for Vets Program

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

That's cool dan!!

Post by Guest Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:34 am

That is way cool.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 pm

You sound really excited! I'm very happy for you!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, this will make life so much easier. I went from running marathons to praying I make it back to the car if I go to the JY or Shopping. I’m good for about 35 min. but after that it starts getting rough….. Guess both those Purple Hearts are good for something after retirement after all... And I'd do it all over again! Cool

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Two Purple hearts? I salute you Dan. I am curious as to how you qualified for the Segway. Are you an amputee or like me with various disabilities like knee and back and nerve damage ? I cannot walk for 20 minutes without resting and both knees give out without warning at times causing me to fall. I also have a large piece of shrapnel lodged against my spine. Let me know how the Segway works for you and I just might apply for one.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:42 am

Dan, those segways look like a blast to tool around on, bet you'll have a blast doing it
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:Two Purple hearts? I salute you Dan. I am curious as to how you qualified for the Segway. Are you an amputee or like me with various disabilities like knee and back and nerve damage ? I cannot walk for 20 minutes without resting and both knees give out without warning at times causing me to fall. I also have a large piece of shrapnel lodged against my spine. Let me know how the Segway works for you and I just might apply for one.

I salute you as well Mike. We all gave a lot and now live with many injuries. Some of us have a harder time getting around than others and depending on the MOS worked have many emotional and psychological issues as well. And various disabilities like leg, knee, foot, ankle and back and nerve damage can qualify you for the program. I qualified for the Segway because I have the leg and ankle giving out without warning causing me to fall as well. I have a large section my spine caged in titanium from a C-130 crash as well as a couple of gunshots, one to my left ankle and shrapnel wounds to my let foot and hand. I have a lot of back and nerve damage as well, primarily in my neck and shoulders. Sounds like you would qualify with no problem. You might want to check out the "DRAFT" (Disabilities Rights Advocates For Technology) website. You can apply right on the site. They have a screening process that can take from 4-6 months ounce you submit your application. From what I have heard from you on our site I think you would do well. Check it out. I will be posting pic's after I return next Thursday.

http://www.draft.org/

Take care,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:07 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:
    vanishingbreed wrote:Two Purple hearts? I salute you Dan. I am curious as to how you qualified for the Segway. Are you an amputee or like me with various disabilities like knee and back and nerve damage ? I cannot walk for 20 minutes without resting and both knees give out without warning at times causing me to fall. I also have a large piece of shrapnel lodged against my spine. Let me know how the Segway works for you and I just might apply for one.

I salute you as well Mike. We all gave a lot and now live with many injuries. Some of us have a harder time getting around than others and depending on the MOS worked have many emotional and psychological issues as well. And various disabilities like leg, knee, foot, ankle and back and nerve damage can qualify you for the program. I qualified for the Segway because I have the leg and ankle giving out without warning causing me to fall as well. I have a large section my spine caged in titanium from a C-130 crash as well as a couple of gunshots, one to my left ankle and shrapnel wounds to my let foot and hand. I have a lot of back and nerve damage as well, primarily in my neck and shoulders. Sounds like you would qualify with no problem. You might want to check out the "DRAFT" (Disabilities Rights Advocates For Technology) website. You can apply right on the site. They have a screening process that can take from 4-6 months ounce you submit your application. From what I have heard from you on our site I think you would do well. Check it out. I will be posting pic's after I return next Thursday.

http://www.draft.org/

Take care,
    Dan
    I went to the site and filled out the application. Thanks for the info. I was looking on ebay and they sell small trailers for the Segways and lifts that attach to a trailer hitch.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:33 am

Mike,
    If you are awarded a Segway you can apply for the Hitch trailer on the Draft website as well.. But not until after you have been awarded. I will be appling for it after I return on Thursday....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Well I don't qualify for the Segway program because Vietnam vets and anyone else that served before 2001 are excluded. Maybe someday that will change.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 am

Sorry to hear it Mike.
    I know the screening process is pretty tight. I had to send them my DD214 and Med doc's before being accepted.

They are a "All Volunteer" organization with all funding coming from donations only I can understand their screening and selection process at this point given the cost of just one Segway with all the accessories as well as the Segway trailer hitch lift (Approx. $14k ea. per person). It's a new program and hopefully in time it will gain more funding and support and expand to include all United States Veteran's injured in any conflict.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:50 pm