VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
67a 100 pickup
BILLS66
Dantra
Vanish
8 posters

Well I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Well I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Vanish Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Been Choppin Wood !!!!!!!!

Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cid__0_0

Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Well I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dantra Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:21 pm

You mean some people in California actually CHOP wood before burning it?!
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Well I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Vanish Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Believe it or Not !!!!!!!

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Vanish,How long will that batch of wood last? Bill
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:35 pm

I am Shootin For March ........ Got to see what this Winter brings ... But we get kinda Cool up here in the mountains ....... Got another two cords to go !!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:08 pm

How much do you go through? I get through winter with around 2.5 cords, but we dont have a fire during the day when were at work.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Depends on what you Burn ..... Thats all soft wood .........

67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 pm

That back ground in the pic and the sand sure reminds me of the barstowe area and Ft Irwin.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm

I burn mostly Oak and Alder, use Pine or Cedar to get a bed of coals, then go to hardwood.
    EarlyAge
    EarlyAge

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2009-06-09

Post by EarlyAge Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:40 pm

What are you folks paying for a cord of wood in your area? That's if you have to pay for it. Oak's $ 350 dry, and about $ 250 or less for anything else. Just North of us in So Ore it's almost have that. Drive a little save a lot ......LOL.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Pay for!!! I get a Forestry permit for $25 and go get my own, that is if I need more than I collect during the year. We have a tree company here that will deliver a roll-off for $500. Thats around 7-9 cords of mixed wood.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 am

Vanish wrote:Depends on what you Burn ..... Thats all soft wood .........

We call that " Gophfer" wood. You put one piece on the fire and " Go-fer" another!!!! lol

And I spent way to much time at Ft Irwin over the years. Hated the winter nights out in the field!!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 am

Used to chop wood when I was a kid for winters at my parents house. Usually we last thru one winter with 1-2 cords in between. The wood were mostly pine and fir. My dad got them free at his work where they had hosted forest logger's tourmants there. That was many years ago!

I wonder of anyone could help me with something? I'm looking for 2 tree stumps with a circle of 12-14 inches and height 12 inches... wood can be cedar, oak or hardwood.

They're for my van project and is a important part of the project. I would pay for shipping- please PM me. Thanks!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:06 pm

I just finished my pile
    Well  I Guess it's Wood season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100_0149

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Cripes, looks like you got enough wood for at least 2-3 winters to stay warm! rendeer
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Gman.. You got an outdoor boiler at your place?? Looks like the ash bore has been at work up around you. I wish mine was all in one place like yours. I look like fort apache around here with it piled on 3 sides of my pole barn, Usually 10-12 full cords for the winter.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 pm

No I have a wood stove in the basement, and yes the ash borer is cleaning out my woods pretty good in some parts. Theres about 21 face cord there and should use most of it this winter. Alot of work to save some money
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Yeah... but think of it this way, your gym membership is free and you don't have to smell other sweaty people and if you are cold you throw in another piece of wood.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:37 pm

And I dont "chop" wood anymore, I have my chainsaw and a 22 ton log splitter now. Takes me a couple of weekends to get ready for winter.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Chainsaw? Believe it or not... I actually like to use my axe to chop wood, it's kind of like my personal therpy to find my zen in me. Yeah and free "gym workout" Laughing

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 pm

I get my zen on the Harley and my job is outdoors and very physical. I used to axe my wood but just dont have the time anymore or the shoulder.......lol.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:25 am

An old wise man once told me "wood warmes you long before you burn it." Ash bore - is that the beetle from china that destroys all hardwood trees? And theres no chemical that kills it either affraid I saw pictures of the dammage they do. There litterly clear cutting about 60 miles from me to eliminate there food supply. Old neighborhoods look like new developments. All the wood gets shredded then incinerated! Experts think it came over burrowed in some pallets from china. -Another good reason to buy Americian!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:08 pm

I think the Ash borer goes only after Ash trees
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Yep..They only go after the ash. They did the samething with them here once they were dead and hauled them to the electric company to mix with the coal to get rid of the wood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:15 am