VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

gas gauge woes

gas gauge woes Empty gas gauge woes

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 pm

so, pink and tan wire into the back of gauge. tan wire runs all the way back to the driver's rear, hits a clippy and shoots under the van to the top of the gas tank.. then a ground from the sending unit to, well.. a ground.

where is the power supposed to be in this whole equation? where can i test it? is there a way to zap my gauge to see if it'll even move without damaging it?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

gas gauge woes Empty Re: gas gauge woes

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 pm

The power is plugged into the back of the dash, then it goes through the printed circuit board to one terminal on the back of the fuel gauge,,,,,you might also have another terminal for a ground,,,,,then there is your favorite terminal on the back of the fuel gauge that runs all the way back to the top of the fuel tank and plugs into the fuel sending unit,,,,,,,now thats a place to start,,,,unplug that wire from the top of the fuel tank, or maybe undo a connector on that wire somewhere in between the tank and gauge. You should get a test light to light if you test that wire with the key on,,,,to show that the circuit is good. Then watch the gauge with the wire disconnected,,,,it should peg, probably past FULL,,,,then ground that wire,,, it should peg the opposite way.....if it does those 2 things, the problem is the sending unit or ground wire on it,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:35 pm

thanks donivan, i been on pins and needles all evening waiting for a response! i unclipped the plug under the tail light, and rigged up a makeshift ground with a section of wire and a blade terminal. hit the key, and the gauge pegged full! its a miracle! sooo... the tank has to come down Sad but even at 38 degrees on a chilly montana night, that needle moving brought a smile to my face!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 pm

So what is the fuel gauge doing? not moving,,,,,lying to to you????
    So basically you pull that wire off the fuel tank, see what the gauge says with the key on and wire off,,,,then see if it moves the opposite way with the key on and wire grounded,,,,,then make sure that the ground wire is making a good connection,,,,next step, drop the tank,,,,check that ground wire connection on the fuel sender,,,,,,then you go into the tank,,,,,,most problems are the sending unit anyways,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm

when the van is running, stopped, parked, {anything you can think of} the gauge reads a little under a half tank. its never moved the entire time i've owned her. i didn't try KEY ON, WIRE OFF.. but with KEY ON, WIRE GROUNDED the gauge slowly moved all the way to F. so it ought to drop all the way to E when the wire is loose?

i'm afraid of what i'll find in the tank!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 am

My '69 once had a gas gauge that wouldn't work. It ended up being the brass float had a tiny hole that allowed it fill with gas and sink causing the gauge to always read EMPTY. I swapped the float and tested the sending unit with an ohm meter and all was well after that. Good luck in your search. I got tired of knocking on the tank before going anywhere.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 am

You really need to see what the condition of the inside of your tank is is anyways,,,,,and thats right about the gauge,,,,,,,wire off moves it one way,,,,wire grounded moves it the opposite way,,,,,,,,and that sending unit moves it between Full and Empty,,,,,,so take it out,,,,,hook the wires up to it and move the float by hand,,,,empty to full,,,,see if it works the gauge correctly.....or show us a rusty mess,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:03 am

i'm tearing the tank out in about 20 minutes. i'll be sure to have my camera handy. from the look of the hardware at the front of the straps, someone may have already been back here...

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm

gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2170gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2171gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2174gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2175gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2176gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2177gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2181gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2182gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2186gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2189gas gauge woes Th_IMG_2184
    I backed the van up on jackstands under the carport to get the clearance i needed without having to roll around on the wet ground, the ground looks less than promising once i find and disconnect it, the straps were tweaked, but the tank came out anyway. the connections on top of the sending unit looked very clean, but the unit {floatless} and fuel from the tank were a rusty mess! I fished the float out with my fingertips to find it had been stuffed with corks! from mission mountain winery! i filtered the gas a few times and came up with what you see in the bottom of the bucket Sad i had to put her back together without any new pieces because i'm broke right now! the gauge still doesn't read totally empty... still a little under half. so what sending unit do i get? or test this one? maybe the gauge in the dash isn't functioning? if i tear it down and put a new float in, will it read from that point up? SOOO MANY QUESTIONS!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 pm

You sure are a good example of tear it apart and see what you got! And the gas tank is the 1st step. If you don't make it right from the start, you will have nothing but trouble. Like I said before, hook up the sender wires, hold it in your hand,,,,,,push the arm down,,,,,gauge should read EMPTY,,,,,push it 1/2 way up,,,,should read 1/2 tank ,,,,all the way up should read full,,,,,and you need a good float for it to work,,,,,,but you really need a new sending unit,,,,,,,a 90 Ohm one,,,,,5/16 fuel line,,,,,,,I seen some around here for sale,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 pm

i'll have to keep my eyes out for sure! the power and ground aren't a problem, but the unit is bad.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 am

Someone just posted a source for fuel senders,,,,,,but the odds of getting a direct replacement could be pretty slim,,,,,,but you can take the guts out of a 90 ohm unit and transfer the resistor and float assembly onto your pick up tube to make yours work.

gas gauge woes Vanaga16

gas gauge woes Fuel_s11

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:38 am

stealing guts doesn't seem too difficult. how do i find a vehicle with a 90 ohm resistor in its sending unit? are they labelled? pretty sure mine said 90 ohm under a fine coating of rust!
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm

mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:10 pm

gas gauge woes Send10

I grabbed the sending unit out of my 77 gmc before I scrapped it and brazzed it to the top of the sending unit from my 67...The bottom line is 3/8 then the top line is the factory 5/16th... tested the gauge and it works fine but dont know if going from a 3/8 to a 5/16th line will make any difference???? Bent he float rod so it would read right when the tank was empty or full... I find out next spring when I get her fired up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Finding the correct listing for our vans is sometimes a problem,,,,,but I would say, talk to this site, see if you can return this unit if it don't fit exactly,,,,,but I think the guts will be good as a last resort,,,,,,

http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SUFG117A

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:51 pm