VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
bugeye bob
savage
61econoline
G-Man
itruns
sasktrini
10 posters

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Empty 67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap

Post by sasktrini Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:45 am

Well, a local musician friend has called me to say he's parting with his Econoline... registered, drove it through winters, but steering is too loose and needs new wiring now... "Corey, I'm sure I could get a little more, but I'll sell it to you for $300 because I know you love them!"

I do know of a guy that asked about buying one, so I may try to connect them... may buy it for myself, may make a deal with the current owner to refurbish the worn steering and wiring problems so he doesn't have to part with it... but I would have space to park it at home... at that price to for a daily driver, what a deal!!! C'mon payday!!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Empty GOT IT! 66 SuperVan, former military ambulance

Post by sasktrini Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 pm

So cool... happy it worked out, very clean and solid, $300! It really doesn't need much! Some wiring stuff, couple patches welded in to the outer skin, maybe kingpins... It has a 240 Big Ford Six and automatic tranny, 9" rear axle, dual fuel tanks, perfect glass (windshield and frosted "Falcon" windows from it's ambulance days)... I had no idea this would end up being a military vehicle! My musician friend explained some of the recent service history since he got it in 1997... steering linkage is all relatively new! I think this van could be a perfect tow rig!

Here's a link to My 66 Ford Econoline SuperVan on Photobucket. I'll post some pics here shortly!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Empty Re: 67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap

Post by sasktrini Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:53 pm

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0195

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0199

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0218

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0209

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0217

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0216

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap IMG_0214

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Empty Re: 67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Corey Glad you called me about the van. I seen it around town. I wish I could of got it. If you do deceide to sell talk to me. I would be interested. It would not take much to get it show ready again. I would not chop it for the one project I paln. I leave it the same. Maybe search for some old ambulance lights and get it back to the way it was.
    I definitely would enjoy some time going to some car shows around the area. In Saskatoon P.A. Regina, Yorkton. Get a few trophy's.

Keep me in mind if you decide to sell.
    Now to get some new king pins. That would probally tighten the front up.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Congrats Corey. Looks like a sweet ride.

What is the thingy on the roof?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:37 pm

No problem, demondog! I'll tempt you a little more... I figured out how to make my camera take vids! Coming shortly...

It has a really wild roof vent... I think there's even a knob on the dash that's supposed to actuate it. I don't know for sure, as the rear has panelling riveted in ambulance-style... can't see any linkage or wires. There's even a switch for "roof light" which I think may have been the bubble up top...
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:52 pm

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Th_Movie
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:11 pm

Looks like a very solid van, give us some pic's after you clean it up

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:01 am

Some minor rust issues on the underside, But all in all a very solid van.
    Is that a 2nd gas tank on the van. It looks as if it gets filled from the rear tank first. If so there must be a switch in the van to switch from tank to tank.
    The underside needs a good washing. Lots of mud sprayed on that does not give a clear veiw.
    I look forward to having a crawl around on it.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:03 am

The engine noise you need to take the valve cover off and adjust the rockers. They sound sloppy. Need to be adjust down to quit the noise. They are probally not open some valves all the way and cause the rough running motor.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 pm

nice ride,congrats
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 am

have fun with it looks good

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:14 pm

It would be really nice to find some old Ambulance lights and a bubble top to retro fit back. Be good to show around.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

I couldn't yet find any historical photos, but Jay from EconosRUs "knows a guy"... It would be kinda cool to restore back to original, but not just any ambulance equipment... I do have ideas though how to pay homage to it's history while updating it to be a cool cruiser! And it will still be good to show around! I am inspired!

I didn't see rust under the van... just four spots on the outer skins that are rusted out, and will be easy to weld patches in! Honest! This van has a more solid underside than the Grimstone van!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Heres one that was from a litte town by me. And its a Nodoor too.[img]67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap File0324[/img]

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 pm

The rarer ones that are out there. They are very hard to find a no door van. They made more 8 door vans than the no door cargo vans.
    I sent picks of a firetruck Econo van to you Corey. Did you get them.?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 am

I got the pics... I'll photobucket them before I sign off.

Savage, I think the emerg beacon is like what was on this SuperVan! Size and placement of the mark on my roof matches! I love that van too though, the nodoor fire truck!

Don't get too hopeful that this van is gonna become an ambulance again... the previous previous Grimstone owner found me online tonight! He was thrilled the van is still alive and geting another chance at life!

He told me that his buddy (band mate) has an A100 Grimstone van also, and the two of them Grimstone earlies rolling up turned heads!

So I don't know what will happen, if this guy will want his restored Grimstone back... I may not keep both vans, but I won't sell both... and I can't see myself driving the SuperVan as an ambulance or covered in olive drab green. Trust me though, I have seen a vision... an inspiration!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:02 pm

The firetruck pics from demondog!!!

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Firetruckvan

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Firetruckrearvan

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Firetruckinterior

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Firetruckvancolunm

67(?) Falcon SuperCab falling in my lap Firetruckgauges
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Okay... found the old registration and stuff, and I'll retract my claim to the van being a 66... old registrations and other research says 1965.

Our winter has taken a break, so I'm doing a little fiddling before the snow returns! Fixed one hard-starting problem... starter relay was bad. Also repaired a wire going from the relay to the coil, and cleaned the gauge cluster!

Key-off battery drain tests ruled out the alternator. I found two of three fuses in the light switch are causing the drain. So I have some more investigation to do. If anyone can recall where I can find a detailed picture of a fuse panel, please let me know... it was difficult for me to see what the circuits were labelled as. Thanks.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Go to the oldeconolines site on yahoo.they have some good diagrams in the files section for electrical stuff

Post by Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Corey I have a shop manual on the 65 Econoline.
    Here is what it shows me. The small 7.5 fuse is for a radio. The next one is 14 amp and is for turn signals. The 3rd one is 14 amp and is the heater.
    The one by it's self is park lights and interior. That is all it shows for fuses. Now since that being an old ambulance the fuse box maybe bigger and have extra fuses.
    These Econolines have a small fuse box attached to the light switch.

Glad your enjoying the weather. I'm home sick again with the flu. wishing I could be out fixinga few things yet before it gets cold again and snows.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks... there are so many online Econoline goldmines with different treasures, it's hard sometimes to keep it straight which ones have which treasures!

Give me a call demondog... I'm up! If you have the manual handy, you might be able to be my eyes in the book and read which fuses I think they might be... two longer fuses, probably heater for one... you might be able to eyeball the location of the second one for me!!!

Now that I look again, I think the second one is the park lights. Sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope your flu is not too serious! I've been trying to avoid crowds lately, but still have to ride public transit to work everyday! Gotta love that! Can't wait till this H1N1 wave passes!

I noticed an extra fuse panel with a wire going to that rear area vent switch on the dash. There are probably more inline fuses for other stuff too... the fuse panel on the light switch is the same-old same-old. I think it only had contacts for three fuses, and I had to pull both in order to get my test to pass.

In case anybody is wondering how I did that, for key-off battery drain (battery seems to die on it's own overnight, kinda deal)

1) make sure battery is charged up.
    2) remove negative battery cable, and clip one end of a test light to the cable end. With all devices off and key off, touch the probe end to the negative battery terminal. If the light comes on, there is a short or closed circuit hiding somewhere.
    3) alternator is usual suspect, that can ground themselves internally when they go bad. Don't touch negative post yet. Disconnect the wires to the alternator, then touch the negative post. No light? Alternator is bad. Replace it and VR as a set. Light comes on? Keep hunting! Put the probe down.
    4) Test fused circuits by pulling the fuse and touching the negative post. For me, I had all three fuses I mentioned pulled. Obviously when I pulled the third and the test light stayed off for that test, I knew that circuit was bad. I reinserted the other two fuses one at a time to see if either of those circuits had shorts on their own. The light stayed off for the one, so I left it in and the other two out. Reconnected my battery without fear of it draining!

Next step is to follow a wiring diagram or the particular wires themselves looking for
    1) faults with the related switches, bulbs, motors or whatever the circuit runs
    2) melted or chafed insulation, connectors or otherwise bare wire leading to the devices and switches, looking to see if it's too close to any metal. Location for grommets or large bundles in the loom are common locations to find faults.

There we go... some reminders for me what I need to look for, and hopefully some help for those of us who maybe find electrical a little mysterious!

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by sasktrini on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Looking again...)
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:30 am

Looks like I'm getting off topic now, considering this is Member's Showcase. I'm going to take a couple of the van's issues over to "Between the Seats E"
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:54 pm

what a great deal better yet a great van, i always liked the dash and all the knobs ford put on these, my wife got a good laugh on your wiper blade photo. would like to find one of these to park next to the bugeye - a100
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks Bob... I've tackled a few of these problems already, almost done the wiper, engine noise and heater. So this picture will be the only memory of the wonky wiper!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:05 am