VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Van Tire / Wheel Dilemma.

Van Tire / Wheel Dilemma. Empty Van Tire / Wheel Dilemma.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm really stuck here and not sure which way to go: 50% of the feedback I've received from people say to go 4-ply and the other 50% say to go 6-ply. A good friend who has a late 70's VW Westfalia van said not to go below a 6-ply tire on a vehicle that weighs 4500 lbs. (the weight of my Handi-van loaded with gear and people.) Also, he said that in any kind of wind, I will be all over the road on a 4-ply tire and I can get slightly better gas mileage on a more rigid 6-ply tire due to the higher p.s.i. rating. and that on the occasional dirt-road, the 6-ply will be a lot better.

New 4-ply tires cost $320.00 and 6-ply tires cost $520.00, (both prices include mounting and balancing.) The size I'm pricing here is 215 75R 14 and the price seems really high. The current wheels I have are stock steel 14", which is restricting my tire choices, so I'm wondering if I could switch to a 15" wheel and not affect the performance of the van. If I could switch to a 15" wheel, is there a recommended tire size range that works best with my van? I know that there are a LOT of more tire sizes / options to go with if using a 15" wheel, which might help out cost-wise in the end. The main thing is choosing the best tire / wheel combo. for good driving and safety.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
    Nabor J

Van Tire / Wheel Dilemma. Empty Re: Van Tire / Wheel Dilemma.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 pm

For that price, see if they'll let you mount a wheel on the van to see how it looks before you commit to buying? If you commit to buying something, just not the size, maybe they'll let you do it?

I was going to put 14" wheels on my A100 but when I bought it had 15" wheels and they look really good, so I'm just going to stick with those I think.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 am

try tirerack.com good prices. id go with the 6 ply myself, if you want to stay with the original 14" craigers and bf goodrich would be my choice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 2:47 pm