VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy)

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy) Empty Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy)

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:46 am

Hey guys, I'm still on a big hunt for a small part. My shift lever (for the 1st/reverse rod) snapped and has been welded. It'll break again eventually. I've been all over town and can't find it. Can the Vintage Van crew find it? I'd appreciate any help on this one. Thanks guys.

Mike
    sir_michaelo@yahoo.com
    1965 Custom Chevy Sportvan

(Here are a couple photos of what I need to find. Notice the weld that's just barely holding it together).

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy) Dsc_0112

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy) Dsc_0113
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy) Empty Re: Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy)

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Thats how the 1st and Reverse transmission levers normally look,,,,,weld a big flat washer over over the break and slot it on top so you can still clamp it,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy) Empty Re: Still Looking for a 1965 Shift Lever (Chevy)

Post by 64chevy Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:52 pm

A wise man once told me He'd never seen one that wasn't broke.

When mine broke I opted to switch to the Saginaw tranny that uses a different lever and also has a synchronized 1st gear.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:48 am

I had already thought about welding a washer on to it but I didn't think it would work with the fold in the metal just below the circle/cylinder. That's a tight space for this kind of thing isn't it?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:07 am

You can notch that area out to make the washer fit flush,,,,you just care about adding metal over the cracks anyway,,,,you could probably use a smaller diameter bolt and do the same on the inside to turn that area into a triple wall if you are REALLY serious about how you like your repairs to turn out,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Is the underlying message I'm hearing that it's going to be nearly impossible to find an unbroken original shift lever and that rewelding is going to be the most practical option? If this is the case then I'll switch gears on how I'm approaching this problem (sorry, the pun was too tempting).
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:02 pm

where you live I would think finding a parts van would be no problem???? Most of the vans for sale are on your end of the country. You're part is out there be sure of that. You just haven't found it yet.

By the way great look Sportsvan you have
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:08 pm

A 700R4 is one solution,,,,,,,you can probably find a good lever somewhere,,,,,some place,,,,,maybe cars and pick ups used the same levers around then,,,,,,they probably only used that type of lever on 64 and 65 vans then they went to a bolt on type,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:06 pm